An inexpensive integrated amplifier with decent output capacity

Guys, I would appreciate the help of an experienced audiophile, since I am a layman on the subject.
I am looking for an inexpensive integrated amplifier to power my pair TA-Oscar Duas Vias 8 Inch Kevlar tower speakers from Tropic Audio (https://www.tropicaudio.com.br/torre-ta-oscar-duas-vias-8 -pol-kevlar-olive-green) and a Sony Subwoofer SA-WP16 (I intend to substitute it, soon).

I found this Marantz PM6006 (https://htclick.com.br/produto/amplificador-integrado-marantz-pm6006/), but I am intrigued by the low power capacity of these integrated amplifiers.

This PM6006, for example, delivers only 45 watts per channel (remember that my tower speakers accept up to 150 watts, as I told in the link above).

I add that my current receiver (Pionner VSX 534) delivers, according to its manual, 80 watts per channel, under the same conditions as this Marantz (with 8 ohm speakers, 20-20,000 Hz; total harmonic distortion of no more than 0.08% ), almost twice the power of this Marantz.

I am afraid to buy this Marantz and regret it because of this low power capacity, since with my current receiver I sometimes get close to the maximum volume level, in an environment of 10.5 square meters.

It should be noted that this integrated amplifier that I am looking for is for another environment, of 15 square meters, that I am setting up.

• Like 1

reading the specifications on your speakers, it says they are 93db/w/m and

8 ohms which make them fairly efficient, 45watts in a 15 sq room would be loud, unless you listened at disco levels. the 150w you quote is their maximum input. Ihave speakers that are 91db/w/m in a 16 sq m room with an 8 watt per channel valve amp, if i turn it up to half on the volume dial, you cant hear yourself talk, mine have a rating max of 120 watts. Usual advice to everybody, audition with your other gear, let your ears be the judge, good luck

• Like 5

You can't go comparing the stats on an integrated amp and an AVR without comparing them in context.

The Pioneer states 150 watts into 6 ohms yes, but only while driving one channel and at 10% total harmonic distortion.  At 10% THD you wouldn't be able to stay in the room.  That's a "screamingitstitsoff" rating and has very little meaning when comparing it to an amp specifically meant for music.

The marantz is indeed a 45 watts into 8 ohms (so about 55 into 6 if you are after a direct comparison) but at 0.0008% THD.  Even dialed back into its comfort zone the Pioneer would likely measure between 0.1 and 0.05% THD at best.  The Marantz is meant for music, the Pioneer is meant for movies.

With 93db sensitivity speakers I suspect even a 10 watt amp would give you quite a nice listening experience (maybe not for death metal or orchestral music at concert level volumes, but anything less than that it should do just fine).  

The Marantz should do the job without a problem, although I would recommend shopping around and demoing other amps as the PM6006 is far from the only choice at it's price point and the Pioneer and Marantz house sounds are quite different.

Edit:  Sorry, I just re-read your post and noted the manual specs for the Pioneer.  I am guessing you listen quite loud.  Maybe the Marantz will run out of juice at that level but I still doubt it.  I will re-iterate though, demo if you can and don't buy if you aren't sure.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 5

Hi @remomoreira,

It is good to hear about Brazilian manufacturers, that are rare for speakers!

I agree with most of the comments: you don't need high power, as you speakers have high sensitivity, meaning they will play louder for the same power input (dB per watt). But don't think a multichannel receiver can play stereo anywhere close to an integrated amp (or a stereo receiver), at similar price. There are a lot more than only power and THD, like channel separation, peak current limit, rise time, dedicate DAC, etc. I recon you will notice a good improvement with this change, especially if you include a good DAC (inside or separate from the amp). 

I like the Marantz, but If you live in Fortaleza, there are some other good options at similar prices, like the Rotel A-10, Rotel R-12 (good DAC included),  Yamaha A-S700 and the AAT PM-2 (acho que 100% brasileiro).

Good Luck!

@remomoreira Personally I rekon the Marantz will blow the sox off the Pioneer. In loudness, theres not much difference between an 80 watt and a 45 watt amp especially if the 80 watter is a cheap A/V receiver. Get the Marantz if its a good price.

https://www.videopro.com.au/p-12752-pioneer-vsx-534-51ch-av-receiver.aspx Nope.

Edited by Wimbo

Audition a few integrated amps. Listen to what you enjoy the sound of.

The PM6006 can drive 89dB floor standing speakers in a 21m^2 room to a point where hearing protection is needed. That power figure is sufficient for a lot of spaces. Speaking from experience.

On 27/08/2020 at 2:03 AM, Luciano Milioli said:

Hi @remomoreira,

It is good to hear about Brazilian manufacturers, that are rare for speakers!

I agree with most of the comments: you don't need high power, as you speakers have high sensitivity, meaning they will play louder for the same power input (dB per watt). But don't think a multichannel receiver can play stereo anywhere close to an integrated amp (or a stereo receiver), at similar price. There are a lot more than only power and THD, like channel separation, peak current limit, rise time, dedicate DAC, etc. I recon you will notice a good improvement with this change, especially if you include a good DAC (inside or separate from the amp). 

I like the Marantz, but If you live in Fortaleza, there are some other good options at similar prices, like the Rotel A-10, Rotel R-12 (good DAC included),  Yamaha A-S700 and the AAT PM-2 (acho que 100% brasileiro).

Good Luck!

Thanks dear Luciano! :) 

On 27/08/2020 at 3:19 AM, gwurb said:

Audition a few integrated amps. Listen to what you enjoy the sound of.

The PM6006 can drive 89dB floor standing speakers in a 21m^2 room to a point where hearing protection is needed. That power figure is sufficient for a lot of spaces. Speaking from experience.

Thanks! :) 

So long as you don't need a DAC or lots of facilities and just want a great sounding amp, I would personally buy newest model the Rega Brio.

Far more musical than the Yamaha and has a really nice MM phono stage if you are( or plan to be ) using vinyl.

• Like 1

What can you demo with your speakers where you are.... I’d explore  options 

as far as power goes clean and capable drive most things explore musical fidelity All amps are conservatively rated with power supplies to support honest claims - unlike avrs 

In the musical fidelity range, 

a3.5 150wpc

a5 200wpc

or any m5 or m6 that are later releases  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/08/2020 at 7:42 AM, Cafad said:

With 93db sensitivity speakers I suspect even a 10 watt amp would give you quite a nice listening experience (maybe not for death metal or orchestral music at concert level volumes, but anything less than that it should do just fine). 

Agreed.  (Presuming it clips nicely - if it doesn;t you need another 15db of headroom for my taste in music)

If the 93db are marketing spin and/or the impedance is all over the place, then you might need more grunt.

I have used the Marantz PM6006 with Elac UniFi UB5 speakers which are 85db@4 ohms. They can drive them to decently loud levels so your speakers will never complain about the need for more power. However what is also important is system synergy. Marantz is a warm relaxed amp. If your speaker is also very relaxed then it probably won’t be engaging. So keep that in account when you consider an amp. Cheers. 

22 hours ago, thoglette said:

Agreed.  (Presuming it clips nicely - if it doesn't you need another 15db of headroom for my taste in music)

Which means how many watts are needed, above 10?

22 hours ago, thoglette said:

If the 93db are marketing spin and/or the impedance is all over the place, then you might need more grunt.

Will need (not 'might '!).  xD

Andy