My first experience with Roon has been... let's say, a little unsettling. 

I signed up for a trial, eagerly checked which of my devices were compatible, downloaded the software, went through the process to set up a "Roon core" on my PC,  and after enabling a few Roon devices on my network, the app crashed and then refused to open. 

- Restarted PC

- Uninstalled/reinstalled

- Graphics drivers are up to date

- No firewall/antivirus software getting in the way

- reinstalling the software leads to the same result

I'm suspecting that there is a device on my network that is freaking Roon out. I'll do some digging and report back.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Give it a few hours to burn in

I was gonna identify each of your gripes and say I and many others don’t have any of these issues, but decided it would be easier to say I disagree with just about everything in this post.

Nobody is having a go at you - you are entitled to your opinion and to share it here. But it would be remiss of us "experienced" and "seasoned" Roon users to not provide a difference of opinion to you

It’s unlikely it will be something else on the network if it’s crashing the core. What OS are you installing on and what are the specs of the core machine?

• Like 1

I think you're right, it's not my network, it's probably a poor/corrupted file and Roon may have a strange way of handling it.

I've determined this by completely wiping Roon and all database from the computer. Then when re-adding my music back in, Roon cracks it.

I'll have to add each folder back, one by one, to see which one is the culprit. 

Windows 10

Core i7-7700 CPU

NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU

16GB RAM

NVME SSD

All fairly standard stuff.

Look for your logs under your room installation. Dig in and find the Roonserver logs and look for the one with the newest time stamp. The file will be a txt file that’s human readable.

See: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/database-location#Windows_Core

Make a note of the time that Roon crashes and take a read of the logs and see if you can find anything useful in there to help diagnose.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2021 at 2:46 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

But really, the things I most want are:

- spotify integration (never gonna happen, I know)

- Portable Roon or failing that, two-way playlist updates between Roon and Tidal/Qoboz

- decent treatment of classical music (this seems to be on the cards, lets see how they go)

- The ability to pipe in other digital sources (eg CD player)

no portable Roon I guess ?

7 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

Look for your logs under your room installation. Dig in and find the Roonserver logs and look for the one with the newest time stamp. The file will be a txt file that’s human readable.

See: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/database-location#Windows_Core

Make a note of the time that Roon crashes and take a read of the logs and see if you can find anything useful in there to help diagnose.

Bam, you resolved it. I had a rogue file, and the log helped me catch it. Thank you. Now I'm in business.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Jensway said:

I think you're right, it's not my network, it's probably a poor/corrupted file and Roon may have a strange way of handling it.

I've determined this by completely wiping Roon and all database from the computer. Then when re-adding my music back in, Roon cracks it.

I'll have to add each folder back, one by one, to see which one is the culprit. 

Windows 10

Core i7-7700 CPU

NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU

16GB RAM

NVME SSD

All fairly standard stuff.

That's almost identical to my system and it works a treat here. I wonder what the issue is!?

(Just saw your reply after I posted this - my browser hadn't refreshed)

Edited by PassionForSound
Late response
  • Like 1

Also as an aside, if anyone is having issues with random crashing on WIN10, I had an issue the Windows app kept crashing on launch. I uninstalled it and installed the 32bit version (at Roon support request) and it has worked fine every since. Might be worth keeping in mind if this suddenly starts happening to you:

https://download.roonlabs.com/builds/RoonInstaller.exe

21 minutes ago, ViVa said:

No Roon 1.8 yet ;)?

I’m assuming the Roon team are waiting for Apple to release the new Roon remote app, it is a pre-requisite before the core upgrade.

I just updated my Roon core (my Windows PC) and my Roon Remote (iPad).  Both took very little time and apparently without any problems ?

• Administrators

Database update - 20mins in so far. Fingers crossed.

Migration all smooth on Rock/Core and Windows clients across 3 systems.  But my first user experience had me looking for the 'Compact' display setting.  The UI may be more intuitive, but has a lot more white space and needs more scrolling for same info than prior.  Anyone found the 'Compact' button - I don't think it exists.

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

The Roon community forum is already buckling under the load :)

I doubt they will have to worry about that for long  ?

All upgraded here semi seamlessly.

I run Roon server in a docker image on a Linux server.

Various iOS devices and a few android phones and tablets as well. No issues with any of them.

Only minor issue was with upgrading Roon on my laptop that runs manjaro, with Roon running on wine. 

I just had to edit the launcher files to line up with the updated Roon version number. 

Edited by todagt
1 hour ago, gibbo9000 said:

lot more white space

I did not like the White.  It can be changed to Dark in the settings.  I would prefer something more in between.  A very minor matter though.

John

yeah the upgrade went smooth enough here.

I like the Discography feature. Stops the fragmentation of the search function which is nice.

They still have not worked out a smart way to do multi zone volume adjustments.  There's just the mute and +- buttons but no slider for the group which is painful. 

Focus and Tags look handy, especially for some of the DJ sets I have which are usually a shitshow to search for.

Updated roon, including roon (gui) under wine on linux, and it all worked well. So far so good.

Just now, frednork said:

Just updated. Did it just lose a bit of SQ??

Not as far as I can see/hear?

25 minutes ago, frednork said:

That is what I initially thought, but after a few hours I think it is better, dare I say more analogue.

21 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

I think if they made changes under the hood to the audio they would have made more of a song and dance about it. 

Roonlabs have never mentioned sound improvements, perhaps none have ever occurred, and i think it is wise for vendors to let customers decide on SQ improvements.

Their release details mention optimised memory and CPU usage, less strain on the server is always good.

One nice thing for me with the new roon is that my Matrix mini I-Pro 3 finally shows roon certification over wifi. Previously it only showed it over ethernet. Strange that certification would be rolled out in a major version and not just a minor server response confirming it's certified.

On 10/02/2021 at 3:46 PM, frednork said:

It sounds better.  Less etching, more natural, more detailed.  Not better by a large margin but easily recognised.

The comparison was easy for me to make  because I effected the update during a music session in the middle of listening to a track.  I probably would not have heard a difference if I updated before a fresh session.

The interface changes has pros and cons.  For me it's the sound that matters.  

Edited by GroovyGuru
addition
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

It sounds better.  Less etching, more natural, more detailed. 

A bit more... purple?

5 minutes ago, frednork said:

Can we go back to compare?

A solid hour of listening and no discernible change in sound quality to my ears . . . ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, frednork said:

I can feel the burn (in)!!:P

The white screen gave me sunburn.  It is now dark.

John

• Like 1

I just upgraded to 1.8 Have to admit when using the iPad I liked the side swiping.

Realise I am probably in the minority.

Just now, thathifiguy said:

Anyone else booted from tidal? I’ve been logged out and cannot get back in.

Yep... same here.