Roon Discussion Thread

My biggest issue with 1.8 so far is my phone app just plain hangs often whenever I try to switch zones. The rest seems okay, though strangely slower than it used to be, and all versions sound the same to me.

No complaints here with 1.8 - core is running on a 2011 mac mini and the fastest it has even been (searching, etc).

Endpoints are either sotm streamers or chromecast audios and all have worked without issue.

33 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

My biggest issue with 1.8 so far is my phone app just plain hangs often whenever I try to switch zones. The rest seems okay, though strangely slower than it used to be, and all versions sound the same to me.

Hope that can be sorted out for you in an update.

My Android phone is working fine, but I use it for portable listening rather than switching zones so I wouldn't know if I have that issue.

Likewise my Windows 10 laptop works fine. However most of my listening is through my main system directly from the core installation on my Mac Mini.

The only zone switching I do is on the core install - to switch to HQPlayer or another dac, so probably not stressing the functionality. 

I cut Roon a bit of slack because it's probably not trivial with a major software update to ensure perfect interaction between different software platforms and potentially hundreds of different end points. 

I've a minor irritation with the play button moved to the right rather than the left. I don't like having to move the mouse cursor much to go between settings and play functions is all. The touchpad on my wireless keyboard is a bit flaky on my media PC. Then again, it's a minor irritation.

I did have a problem where I needed to regularly reboot the server as an end point had dropped out though they appear to have resolved this for the most part.

Edited by MattyW

• 1 month later...

Any further news on the Spotify integration plans? It is one of the largest streaming platforms. Many of us subscribe to Spotify and/or Apple Music and it'll be great to be able to integrate!

• Volunteer
17 minutes ago, Dr_Kevy said:

Any further news on the Spotify integration plans? It is one of the largest streaming platforms. Many of us subscribe to Spotify and/or Apple Music and it'll be great to be able to integrate!

There are no integration plans.

Roon (via the Roon forums) have stated this many times.

As an example -a very long one

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/spotify-or-spotify-hifi-in-roon-spotify-will-not-allow-this/10562/275

• Thanks 1

One of my peeves with the 1,8 upgrade was that the "Credits" tab changed from a legible sorted list to a bunch of circle pics with tiny writing, all spread out - making it difficult to see who did what. I can't imagine what Roon were thinking. 

But I've found that the Credits list is still available under the 3 dots beside the track listing.

The list is so much more readable - and no tiny writing!

1464961382_ScreenShot2021-04-20at11_29_36am.thumb.png.a56c568d0106ab2ddd19d0ee55257f52.png

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2021 at 9:14 PM, davewantsmoore said:

1.6 and 1.8 both have been quite buggy for me (and others worse from my reading)....  I run on it on nearly all the available platforms, and none of them are great.

Lots of losing zone states, and needing to enable/disable zones, etc.

No good ☹️.

IMO, There seems to be a big variance in user feedback simply due to the diversity of setups, and technical experience.  

In my setup I have had a great success with Linux, Windows and Nuc Rock server setups. The faster the server the better IMO. 

I currently use a HP Elite desk g5 800, and Nuc i5 series 4 (Rock) for my servers.  

Computers are a PITA. lol. 

IMO, when Apple/Spotify launch lossless the value proposition for Roon will diminish further.

I stream all my music, so native app playback using lossless Spotify connect or Airplay protocols suits me fine. 

Elegant and simple. 

Edited by Grizaudio
  • Like 1

I'm finding running Roon Server in a Docker container on UnRAID gives a nice improvement. Very responsive. Ryzen 3650G with 32GB RAM though. To be fair,  apart from Plex Server my fileserver doesn't do much.

Edited by MattyW

3 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

IMO, when Apple/Spotify launch lossless the value proposition for Roon will diminish further.

I stream all my music, so native app playback using lossless Spotify connect or Airplay protocols suits me fine. 

Elegant and simple. 

But don't you think Roon is a completely different product?

Spotify with lossless would never replace Roon for me.

The whole point of Roon is its added curation, integrated local library, server functionality and (not least) focus on audio quality in component integration.

IMO Apple/Spotify just aim at simplicity for the masses and they're adding lossless to tick off a feature. 

One of them integrating with Roon would be interesting, but can't see that happening. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Anyone else having problems with roon currently.  Mine is not loading the app on android devices.  I have tried restarting roon core, by powering down, and restarting the android devices, but no success.

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, dbastin said:

I solved it by uninstalling and reinstalling the app.  It might have got stuck because I hadn't done the recent updste.

yep, same here. It was opening and then immediately crashing

Uninstall and reinstall fixed it for me too

16 minutes ago, dbastin said:

Anyone else having problems with roon currently.  Mine is not loading the app on android devices.  I have tried restarting roon core, by powering down, and restarting the android devices, but no success.

I had problems yesterday after the update.

Tried rebooting my Roon core server without any success, it was just freezing on my Android so l went to Roon on my PC and did a search of Roon devices and it found it.

See you've solved it, had me scratching my head and was about to seek help myself before I managed to fix! 😊

27 minutes ago, dbastin said:

I have experienced that quite a bit in the past. A very frustrating issue which I never quite figured out the cause of.

I've one mini PC which works well with Roon Server installed,  where another my Android handsets would not connect to. Likewise when I placed Roon Servers on a central network switch as opposed to hanging off one of my wireless mesh points I used to have issues. 

Ever since I moved my Roon Server to a docker container on the same UnRAID fileserver as my files both my android handset connectivity problem and issues with reliable streaming of content from Tidal has gone away. It's also on a central switch in the garage. Course every now and then it can't sign into Tidal and I restart the Roon Server docker container.

Edited by MattyW

I had same problem with iOS devices. Had to delete apps and reinstall.

I’ve been getting increasingly frustrated with Roon. As great it is when it works, the updates have been problematic for last few versions getting them to install and work. When using it , it is slow. Perhaps my hardware is the issue but...

35 minutes ago, frednork said:

Mine is ok on Android and others

Mine is too.  No issues at all for a very long time.  I fact I am not sure I have ever had an issue at all over the past 5 years

John

The latest upgrade made my Rock Core unresponsive and upon a reboot it lost a lot of the various RAAT zones throughout the home. I think it was a matter of various Roon remotes having mismatched versions with the Core.

I just upgraded everything manually then rebooted the lot and it came good for me. I expect the latest update hasn't been a smooth process for quite a few people.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you're not interested in building a unit and would rather have the ability to plug and play, you would be hard pressed to find better value than an Innuos Zen Mini, complete with internal storage and CD ripping. A thousand answers will follow this, some telling you not to bother with dedicated servers and just buy a NUC, but the ZEN Mini is a great starting point that punches above its weight.

Some would say no difference. My Short answer is they can all be ok. To get something to sound better, power supply ie lps, lack of other tasks on the unit ( ie it does nothing else). Doesn't need to be super powerful unless U r doing lots of processing. Os can make a difference. Windows,  Linux etc . Obviously lots more detail buried  in all of these.

It is less noticeable than endpoint choice. So if there is a choice spend or focus  on endpoint

Bespoke turnkey solutions at the lower to mid level trade cost for ease of setup. Cheap setups using a nuc or whatever will require you to get your geek game face on to match or exceed these but not impossible if you are moderately geeky. From mid to high level there are more not "off the shelf" solutions so you will need to be a gun ee, as well as software guy and have lots of time to match these.