Roon Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, A J said:

I would be ok if I could reboot roon rock remotely

You can.

1. Work out what IP address Rock has.
2. Go to a web browser and in the address line punch in x.x.x.x which is the up address from 1.

3. press the reboot Roon server button

4. Wait 10 seconds

5. done

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, A J said:

I've had the same issue with endpoints dropping out no - which seems to be a wider issue wit the new release, and yes a roon server reboot fixes this. If only there was an option to do this from the roon settings rather than having to trudge to the back of the house to physically reboot - I would be ok if I could reboot roon rock remotely. It seems less frequent now - hopefully shortly fully resolved. Until the uograde my system was rock solid (excuse pun).

AJ

If you open the Settings, then "Configure Roon OS Core", it should give you a hyperlink to the IP address and take you to the Roon Core reboot section?

29 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

If you open the Settings, then "Configure Roon OS Core", it should give you a hyperlink to the IP address and take you to the Roon Core reboot section?

Ahh look at that !!! right there is the value in this community - cheers !!

And I considered myself a techo haha - back to the classroom for me

Regards

AJ

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 6:48 PM, BugPowderDust said:

Yeah I don’t have those issues. I do find the iOS app is a bit buggy lately though, unceremoniously kicking you out while using it.

I have noticed this since the last update/face lift, the app is definitely more buggy the old one was very stable IMO 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JCM said:

On app or core? I just checked mine, app is 756 but core appears to be downloading an update as I checked 

Both should be 763

8A60DF21-84BA-4491-BF6B-E78DCAE895E3.thumb.png.d45f1beb8ae5b7ac2b3c7be8c0eeb076.png

19 minutes ago, Whites said:

Still hoping in a future release there are more choices for background colour.

There’s a whole bunch of threads on the Roon forum on how you can hotrod your own themes and colours.

see: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/change-roon-theme-colors/143411

• Thanks 1

Weird, I automatically updated the version on my roon server fine (to 764) and downloaded the latest 32 bit version for my PC (which runs roon on 32 bit wine on linux) only to find it's the same version and is still prompting me to download an updated version. The release notes DO only specify 64 bit windows version so it's stupid for the software to insist on an update that doesn't exist yet.

Latest Roon update broke the docker container's access to local storage, oh well. Since I can't be arsed mucking about with the server side anymore I just decided to reinstall it alongside TrueNas Scale ?. Which did involve adding the debian repository in order to install ffmepg.

Restored from backup and now all good.

It also broke my 64bit install in wine on my manjaro laptop, 

Since it's arch I'm used to updates breaking things.

Updated on the HTPC all fine tho, also running manjaro with 64bit Roon in wine.

Good reminder to have frequent backups everyone ?

Edited by todagt

My Roon trial period expired yesterday ?

Back to the Squeezebox web interface, or SqueezePad app, for playing tunes on my NAS, and the Tidal app for streaming.  It was great to have a unified player, one that updated my library immediately, and the info provided (how one artists connects to another, every release an artist is associated with, etc) was so useful. I will really miss that.

Waiting to see what will happen with Spotifies before deciding what to do next.

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon

On 26/02/2021 at 10:17 AM, hired goon said:

Waiting to see what will happen with Spotifies before deciding what to do next.

Spotify's interface is way behind Roon IMO, no contest for music discovery and then there is the integration with your local library to consider.

But perhaps the bigger issue for audiophile consideration of Spotify (once it goes to Redbook quality) is the way the software interfaces with the user's OS.

Comparing Spotify to Roon/Tidal on my Windows laptop sounds far worse than I would normally expect dropping from 1411kbps to compressed 360kbps (volume levelling off). This is very obvious with just a Meizu dongle DAC and KSC75 earphones.

I can see that Roon/Tidal is using WASAPI exclusive mode, but have no idea what Spotify is doing. 

Maybe Spotify sounds better direct to a streamer(?) - it would need to sound much, much better for me to even remotely consider it as an option.

FWIW my Roon core runs on a 2020 M1 Mac Mini.

SQ improvements are ongoing with Roon as they are catering to the audiophile market (1.8 has definitely improved over 1.7 which already sounded great) but I would have no confidence that Spotify has any interest in the development of platform SQ other than offering 1411kbps files as a 'feature'. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tobes said:

FWIW my Roon core runs on a 2020 M1 Mac Mini.

Oooh, how are you liking the M1? I suppose it breaks no sweat running Roon and stays completely cool and silent?

My 2012 mini handles Roon well, upsampling everything to DSD256. What it cannot cope with is doing DSP with DSD source files, because it needs to down-convert them to 384kbps PCM for that, and then back to DSD. That seems to be a killer. HQplayer fares even worse.

7 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Oooh, how are you liking the M1? I suppose it breaks no sweat running Roon and stays completely cool and silent?

Yep, cool and silent for any application I've used.

I was using a 2012 mini before upgrading. I have HQP but was only using it for PCM upsampling which only used a few percent cpu load. 

However I often use my mini to do other stuff while listening to music and sometimes this would cause the fan to spin up, particularly in summer. I had no pressing need to upgrade, but liked the idea of having a new 'toy'. Just transferred everything with the migration utility and worked seamlessly moving all my programs and data across.

The M1 has noticeably slicker operation, even though many apps are running (seamlessly) with the background Rosetta Intel/Mac silicon translator.

I purchased a MiniDsp Umik-1 a couple of months back and plan to play around with REW and convolution, but haven't got around to it yet. Everything sounds great, so not highly motivated. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

OMG... we're saved   ????

What, did you not fancy the purple? :D

Counting down to another thread on the Roon forum, debating how the theme colours affect the sound – 3-2-1...

Edited by Steffen
It’s Roon, not Room, damn auto-correct...
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steffen said:

What, did you not fancy the purple? :D

Seriously, between that and the unhideable "roon radio is going to play stuff later" (hint: no it isn't) .... I am embarrassed to show Roon to people.

55 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Counting down to another thread on the Roon forum, debating how the theme colours affect the sound – 3-2-1...

It probably does (the thing seems coded that badly).

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

It probably does (the thing seems coded that badly).

Geez Dave, really?

Apart from some issues finding the external dac on my Android phone, corrected with the quickly issued update, I haven't had any problems.

Not everything to my liking, but I'll see what the next update brings.

Edited by Tobes

25 minutes ago, Tobes said:

Geez Dave, really?

Apart from some issues finding the external dac on my Android phone, corrected with the quickly issued update, I haven't had any problems.

1.6 and 1.8 both have been quite buggy for me (and others worse from my reading)....  I run on it on nearly all the available platforms, and none of them are great.

Lots of losing zone states, and needing to enable/disable zones, etc.