Roon Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Steffen said:

Has it changed since 1.7? Do you mean its ability to identify and tag albums, pull up additional information, etc., or its “intelligent” suggestions what I might like to hear next? If the latter, I don’t use it and always found it laughable. 

It does not show the date a file is added to the NAS.  Also discography of artists in Qobuz are not fully disclosed as a default.  You have to click a tab to disclose the full discograph and the discograph no longer show album ratings, you have to click on the album to show the rating.  I wish there was a way to go back to 1.7.  Roon 1.8 was developed for those who stream tracks and don't have music on a hard drive. 

7 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

It does not show the date a file is added to the NAS.  Also discography of artists in Qobuz are not fully disclosed as a default.  You have to click a tab to disclose the full discograph and the discograph no longer show album ratings, you have to click on the album to show the rating.  I wish there was a way to go back to 1.7.  Roon 1.8 was developed for those who stream tracks and don't have music on a hard drive. 

I don’t seem to have this “addition“ issue. 

Your complaints in a previous post about 1.8 seem to indicate your issue with localised content, yet when probed, you’re complaining about issues relating to streaming (Qobuz).

Which is it?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

Are you sure that “date added” was available in 1.7 (I don’t remember)? If the NAS shares the files via SMB then this information is simply not available (it’s not an SMB supported attribute). All you get is “date created” and “date modified”. Looking at NAS files from the Mac also doesn’t display any “date added”. Local files on the other hand have this attribute, though Roon 1.8 still doesn’t show it. Not sure that this is a show stopper, or even an inconvenience, though. I’m pretty sure you’ll find that “date created” is the date you added the file to the NAS.

Your main complaint seems to be about Qobuz, which is a streaming service. How do you arrive at the conclusion that Roon 1.8 was made for streaming users?

• Like 1

I read a thread on the Roon forum that was posted a few days ago by someone who was asking others if they could hear a difference between 1.7 and 1.8. There was of course the usual pooh poohing, "but it's bit perfect" and so forth. 

Roon seem to be at great pains to never state that they've done anything to improve our change the sound of their player. So we will never get any confirmation either way from them. 

One interesting point that someone made was that in the release notes, they did make some changes to the efficacy of the processing and  changes to the dithering so there have been some alterations to the engine.

Audio stack improvements

The audio pipeline in the Roon Core has been optimized to reduce memory traffic and CPU usage. We have also improved the efficiency and mathematical accuracy of the dithering algorithm used for DSP.

On a personal level I do believe it sounds clearer. 

Fellow members on another audiophile forum have had sound quality issues in their systems with Roon updates. In Chris Connacker's next podcast he will be speaking with Roon founders and developers, so hopefully they will address SQ.

12 hours ago, Steffen said:

Are you sure that “date added” was available in 1.7 (I don’t remember)? If the NAS shares the files via SMB then this information is simply not available (it’s not an SMB supported attribute). All you get is “date created” and “date modified”. Looking at NAS files from the Mac also doesn’t display any “date added”. Local files on the other hand have this attribute, though Roon 1.8 still doesn’t show it. Not sure that this is a show stopper, or even an inconvenience, though. I’m pretty sure you’ll find that “date created” is the date you added the file to the NAS.

Your main complaint seems to be about Qobuz, which is a streaming service. How do you arrive at the conclusion that Roon 1.8 was made for streaming users?

How long have you had Roon?  1.7 was only a few days ago and you can't remember if it displayed date you NAS files were added?  Do you have NAS files.?  Are you simply trolling my posts to find fault?

5 minutes ago, Niktech said:

Fellow members on another audiophile forum have had sound quality issues in their systems with Roon updates. In Chris Connacker's next podcast he will be speaking with Roon founders and developers, so hopefully they will address SQ.

Reminds me of the Directsream DSD Snowmass update. Ted Smith explained that he has lowered the noise floor with the new release. Quite a large percentage of people struggled with the new sound initially. I admit I initially wasn't 100% happy with it. But after a period of adjustment, mentally and system wise it was obvious that things had improved.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Whites said:

I don’t have a large library so haven’t really noticed any difference, probably because I don’t use Roon to its full capability. 

My issue was the sound but it appears that Roon 1.8 has inverted the phase, this information has been posted by users on the Roon forum. I have since corrected this in the Roon dsp and I am happy with the sound.

I did try inverting the phase thru DSP but quite frankly, I found that I liked it better uncorrected. ? Has the phase reversal bug been verified at all?

13 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

I don't think Roon 1.8 has introduced any new issues with locally stored files that weren't there already. Roon has always had issues with classical box sets and so forth. It's still a sticking point for a lot of users.

Edited by deepthought

13 minutes ago, deepthought said:

I did try inverting the phase thru DSP but quite frankly, I found that I liked it better uncorrected. ? Has the phase reversal bug been verified at all?

I don't think Roon 1.8 has introduced any new issues with locally stored files that weren't there already. Roon has always had issues with classical box sets and so forth. It's still a sticking point for a lot of users.

Do you store files on a hard drive?  Does Roon show the date the album was added? It used to do that.  It is important to show the date the file was added so you can keep track of the history of when the file was added, for when you upgrade your system.

There are always features which are more important to some than they are to others.  People should stop trying to trivialise what is important to others.  

Edited by GroovyGuru

@deepthought The phase reversal hasn't been verified and after a few days with phase inversion applied I am going try it without the correction.

I wish Roon would at least provide information on whether there is a phase reversal.

I guess they don't comment on sound changes as it is such a controversial topic and of course there are many factors as to whether a person hears any change and whether it is positive or negative.

41 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

How long have you had Roon?  1.7 was only a few days ago and you can't remember if it displayed date you NAS files were added?  Do you have NAS files.?  Are you simply trolling my posts to find fault?

I don’t remember because I rarely (if ever) look at this. When playing music, the last thing that matters to me is when a file was added to the NAS. If I bring up the View File Info dialog it’s usually to check track/album gain, or the file path (to see whether it’s local or on the NAS). I never take notice of the Modified or Created dates, that’s why I don’t remember whether there was something else there before.

I’m not trying to belittle your needs, let alone troll you, but you come here huffing and puffing about 1.8, and then mount a rather tenuous argument about why 1.8 is primarily geared to streaming. Half your argument being how streaming (Qobuz) got worse... 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

Do you store files on a hard drive?  Does Roon show the date the album was added? It used to do that.  It is important to show the date the file was added so you can keep track of the history of when the file was added, for when you upgrade your system.  

Trying in vain to get what you’re saying...

Album added to what – the NAS or the Roon library?

Why does it matter when you upgrade the system, what system anyway – the NAS OS, Roon, the stereo system?

What is missing here that was there before:

570252303_Screenshot2021-02-20at13_25_41.png.7809333c3040fd1ef3d485a735fc4588.png

I suppose the “Added” means added to the Roon library. The “added to the NAS” date will be identical to the “Created” date, because my NAS (Synology) doesn’t distinguish between them.

50 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

There are always features which are more important to some than they are to others.  People should stop trying to trivialise what is important to others.  

Buddy, you are being very defensive. There was no attempt to trivialise what was important to anyone. I merely mentioned that the way that Roon handles box-sets and Classical has historically been poor. And I have no idea about date-added. I don't manage my library that way.

1 hour ago, GroovyGuru said:

Here you go - https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-change-the-date-added/16108

21 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Trying in vain to get what you’re saying...

Album added to what – the NAS or the Roon library?

Why does it matter when you upgrade the system, what system anyway – the NAS OS, Roon, the stereo system?

What is missing here that was there before:

570252303_Screenshot2021-02-20at13_25_41.png.7809333c3040fd1ef3d485a735fc4588.png

I suppose the “Added” means added to the Roon library. The “added to the NAS” date will be identical to the “Created” date, because my NAS (Synology) doesn’t distinguish between them.

which tab in Roon shows this info? Date added used to be next to release date. 

11 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

which tab in Roon shows this info? Date added used to be next to release date. 

It still is, in the album view area, and it is the date added to your Roon library as it always has been

B2DB8AE2-E5E9-4368-9A32-2F42C523278D.png

Edited by awayward

• Administrator

@GroovyGuru - why not go to the source and open a ticket with Roon. It doesn't suit you and your use case, which is not everyone else's though. It's OK to discuss it here, but please be open minded that what seems to make you (seemingly) quite disgruntles, is not a big deal to others.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GroovyGuru said:

Some of my Qobuz albums show the date added, but not all.  It seems Roon misses some info.   No NAS files show date added to NAS.  I've gone through album displays but can't find anything to show date added like it used to. 

Have the Qobuz albums without the date added been added to your library? The albums for an artist now display your library and the streaming albums all together, there is a symbol on the album cover that shows where the album exists, library, Qubuz or both. I’ve used Roon for years and I have never seen a NAS added date anywhere within the app.

Change is an interesting phenomenon.  I am an avid user of Roon even though a streaming alternative that I have is superior to Roon Playback.  The alternative does not have the usage features of Roon that I like.  I am slightly disappointed with some of the changes in Roon and hope that over time there will be updates to improve things such as the background, the playing line at the bottom and the artists in circle shapes.  I just do not like the circles in that context.  My dislikes are definitely not the end of the world as it seems some of the changes are to some users.

I am not a power user of all the attributes of Roon and therefore some of the changes that I do not use, do not have an impact me.  I do not even have a playlist at this time.  I like serendipty.  Right now I am playing Beegie Adair.  Until now I have never heard of her.  I know I should get out more.  She is probably more for late night and low light.

An interesting conundrum, is there a playback benefit from1.8?.  Initially I did not think that there was even though I read the about the small tweaking that had been done.  I was sceptical of those who seemed to think that there a definite playback improvement.  In fact, some seem to have had a big improvement.  Over time I have come to the conclusion that for me there is subtle improvement.  It is bit like when I first got NBN and a faster router.  I did not expect anything but there was something there.  I understand that it was something to do with a more efficient use of network and or processing resources.  Maybe it is the same with Roon.  Also, maybe the variation in playback outcomes has something to do with the resources in respective individual systems.

Overall, I am quite pleased with 1.8 and will definitely be continuing to with Roon.

John

Edited by Assisi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steffen said:

The three dots on the right, next to each track, then View File Info.

Thanks Steffen.  I've been clicking on the three dots next to album details.  I listen to albums.  I guess I'll have to drop down to tracks for file info. 

8 hours ago, awayward said:

Have the Qobuz albums without the date added been added to your library? The albums for an artist now display your library and the streaming albums all together, there is a symbol on the album cover that shows where the album exists, library, Qubuz or both. I’ve used Roon for years and I have never seen a NAS added date anywhere within the app.

Believe me 1.7 displayed a file added date for NAS files.  I know because I make digital copies of vinyl and I kept track of the file added dates to compare phonos, cartridges, etc.  Hopefully future Roon updates will provide more features. 

Edited by GroovyGuru

I have been a Roon user for a couple of years with a Roon Nucleus (with 1TB SSD ) as the Core.  The system has operated pretty much flawlessly over that time.   I am now on version 1.8 and I generally like the changes however a few days ago dropouts started and have become more frequent. They have now made Roon virtually non useable. 

After endless reboots, changing the Ethernet cable, rebooting the whole system and my limited (because of my [in]ability) diagnostics I found my (non-Sonos) endpoints (Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Denon AVR, Schiit Jotunheim, NAD 330) were regularly defaulting to “enabling” and interrupting playback.  

I have been onto the Roon website for troubleshooting and the Roon community. Looks like I am not the only one.  The issue has been flagged by Roon admin and they have reported an issue identified and supposed to be fixed within the week by a patch or upgrade.  

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue.  I swapped back to Sonos outside Roon and no issues. 

7 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

I found my (non-Sonos) endpoints (Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Denon AVR, Schiit Jotunheim, NAD 330) were regularly defaulting to “enabling” and interrupting playback.  

I’m a little confused. Your non Sonos endpoints were interrupting Sonos endpoints in grouped zone? Or were the non sonos endpoints all playing RAAT disrupting each other?

ive got 1.8 and run a wide mix of RAAT enabled devices in grouped zones and haven’t had many issues at all. The only that that happened to me was Roon losing connection to some zones so they fell out of the Roon interface. A reboot of the Roon server seemed to fix this.

17 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

I’m a little confused. Your non Sonos endpoints were interrupting Sonos endpoints in grouped zone? Or were the non sonos endpoints all playing RAAT disrupting each other?

ive got 1.8 and run a wide mix of RAAT enabled devices in grouped zones and haven’t had many issues at all. The only that that happened to me was Roon losing connection to some zones so they fell out of the Roon interface. A reboot of the Roon server seemed to fix this.

I've had the same issue with endpoints dropping out no - which seems to be a wider issue wit the new release, and yes a roon server reboot fixes this. If only there was an option to do this from the roon settings rather than having to trudge to the back of the house to physically reboot - I would be ok if I could reboot roon rock remotely. It seems less frequent now - hopefully shortly fully resolved. Until the uograde my system was rock solid (excuse pun).

AJ