Roon Discussion Thread

• Volunteer
6 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

What makes it useless?  Works fine for me

here's my man Van (no top tracks visible at all - I know I don't like him but he must have some good stuff)

1185076110_ScreenShot2021-02-03at3_57_23pm.thumb.png.4c43620e72b88249de0a9586d282f9ec.png

Here's Fleetwood Mac (only from one album? Surely they have more)

1052467125_ScreenShot2021-02-03at3_57_44pm.thumb.png.f419e2e11c92ac992b95812fa99f6174.png

• Volunteer
21 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

tend to only search for basic things ... use focus more.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-can-i-easily-find-a-song-by-an-artist/87379/27

” The use-case is that I know the artist and the track name but not the album. Unless the album happens to be already in my library it can be fiendishly difficult to find the track”

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

46 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I tend to only search for basic things ... use focus more.

I have used Focus on occasion, because search is too limited. I don’t like the way it works, though. It presents a screenful of useless (for me) options, and I have to scroll sideways to find meaningful criteria all the way on the right edge. I suppose there are people who browse music by pie charts or bar graphs, but that’s just not me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

here's my man Van (no top tracks visible at all - I know I don't like him but he must have some good stuff)

1185076110_ScreenShot2021-02-03at3_57_23pm.thumb.png.4c43620e72b88249de0a9586d282f9ec.png

Here's Fleetwood Mac (only from one album? Surely they have more)

1052467125_ScreenShot2021-02-03at3_57_44pm.thumb.png.f419e2e11c92ac992b95812fa99f6174.png

I’m sure you know this, but the top Main Albums section is from what’s in your library, then the appearances in your library, then the next Main Albums section all the albums from Tidal, in my case anyway, do you stream from Tidal or Qobuz?

• Volunteer
17 minutes ago, awayward said:

I’m sure you know this, but the top Main Albums section is from what’s in your library, then the appearances in your library, then the next Main Albums section all the albums from Tidal, in my case anyway, do you stream from Tidal or Qobuz?

Yes, but I was referring to top tracks which is completely missing

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

I have used Focus on occasion, because search is too limited. I don’t like the way it works, though. It presents a screenful of useless (for me) options, and I have to scroll sideways to find meaningful criteria all the way on the right edge. I suppose there are people who browse music by pie charts or bar graphs, but that’s just not me.

As far as I know, Focus is limited to only stuff in your library, so it's useless if you are looking for stuff in Tidal

5 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Yes, but I was referring to top tracks which is completely missing

Probably because you don’t have any albums in your library, I’d guess it is the most played from your library.

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

Hopefully it is improved in 1.8  (sideways scrolling be gone)

• Like 1

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, awayward said:

Probably because you don’t have any albums in your library, I’d guess it is the most played from your library.

To me, 'top tracks" is where you go for recommendations for the top tracks by an artist. If it is 'most played from your library" then perhaps they should call it that.

In any event it is  very unclear what it actually is. Even to Roon themselves when I have asked on their forum

If they manage to get it working with Sonos again for my Lowfi side of the house I'd be happy. 

Sonos have washed their hands of trying to fix it and blame Roon. And I'm not getting anywhere with Roon. Stopped working a couple of weeks ago. 

@DrSK I pretty much chucked all my Sonos gear when they decided they would EoL everything and it was clear that they will never support hi-res audio.  There was some short term pain, but I find a $200 Raspberry Pi with a DAC HAT on it is better than a Sonos Connect / Port. 

I've replaced my Sonos Playbar with a Bluesound Pulse Soundbar and my Connect:AMPs with used Powernodes which have *way* more grunt than the Sonos equivalents ever did.

Best of all, I'm running RAAT everywhere so there's a lot more options in terms of endpoints than there were being just stuck with Sonos Net.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

@DrSK I pretty much chucked all my Sonos gear when they decided they would EoL everything and it was clear that they will never support hi-res audio.  There was some short term pain, but I find a $200 Raspberry Pi with a DAC HAT on it is better than a Sonos Connect / Port. 

I've replaced my Sonos Playbar with a Bluesound Pulse Soundbar and my Connect:AMPs with used Powernodes which have *way* more grunt than the Sonos equivalents ever did.

Best of all, I'm running RAAT everywhere so there's a lot more options in terms of endpoints than there were being just stuck with Sonos Net.

Had that frustration, although Sonos backtracked on that alot after the backlash. 

Sonos is mostly kids bedrooms, wife's office and kitchen, so 3 Sonos Ones and 2 Play 5s. Personally I can't stand music out of them.  Still that's $2400 or so plus $600 or so for the Connect.. 

The Connect I'm just using as a streamer to a far better DAC (Klein III) in my second system (Lenehan ML1 Reference and Redgum rgi60enr) where it is useful to integrate with those other areas. The system location is compromised acoustically but meets WAF for lounge duties. The preout of the amp also goes back into the Connect which can then send same music to the rest of the Sonos devices without any loss in quality given the limitations of Sonos speakers anyway. 

Happy to ditch the party trick off the preout, but looking for an alternative streamer to the Connect? Second system is supposed to be an inexpensive one. I'd just be happy however if Roon to Sonos started working again. 

Edited by DrSK

22 minutes ago, deepthought said:

I'll be sure to make a backup of my database prior to upgrading though - the last major upgrade corrupted my database.

Yes, definitely do a backup before upgrading.

I’ve got nightly backups scheduled to occur every four days. Just looking at the backup folder, it’s 3.8GB in size, for just the last 10 backups. I wonder what on earth they keep in there? Much of it is likely the huge directory structure itself.

4 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Yes, definitely do a backup before upgrading.

I’ve got nightly backups scheduled to occur every four days. Just looking at the backup folder, it’s 3.8GB in size, for just the last 10 backups. I wonder what on earth they keep in there? Much of it is likely the huge directory structure itself.

Yes those backups are massive. I find myself having to cull old ones once in a while. 

My first experience with Roon has been... let's say, a little unsettling. 

I signed up for a trial, eagerly checked which of my devices were compatible, downloaded the software, went through the process to set up a "Roon core" on my PC,  and after enabling a few Roon devices on my network, the app crashed and then refused to open. 

- Restarted PC

- Uninstalled/reinstalled

- Graphics drivers are up to date

- No firewall/antivirus software getting in the way

- reinstalling the software leads to the same result

I'm suspecting that there is a device on my network that is freaking Roon out. I'll do some digging and report back.

I think you're right, it's not my network, it's probably a poor/corrupted file and Roon may have a strange way of handling it.

I've determined this by completely wiping Roon and all database from the computer. Then when re-adding my music back in, Roon cracks it.

I'll have to add each folder back, one by one, to see which one is the culprit. 

Windows 10

Core i7-7700 CPU

NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU

16GB RAM

NVME SSD

All fairly standard stuff.

Look for your logs under your room installation. Dig in and find the Roonserver logs and look for the one with the newest time stamp. The file will be a txt file that’s human readable.

See: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/database-location#Windows_Core

Make a note of the time that Roon crashes and take a read of the logs and see if you can find anything useful in there to help diagnose.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
On 03/02/2021 at 2:46 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

But really, the things I most want are:

- spotify integration (never gonna happen, I know)

- Portable Roon or failing that, two-way playlist updates between Roon and Tidal/Qoboz

- decent treatment of classical music (this seems to be on the cards, lets see how they go)

- The ability to pipe in other digital sources (eg CD player)

no portable Roon I guess ?

7 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

Look for your logs under your room installation. Dig in and find the Roonserver logs and look for the one with the newest time stamp. The file will be a txt file that’s human readable.

See: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/database-location#Windows_Core

Make a note of the time that Roon crashes and take a read of the logs and see if you can find anything useful in there to help diagnose.

Bam, you resolved it. I had a rogue file, and the log helped me catch it. Thank you. Now I'm in business.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jensway said:

I think you're right, it's not my network, it's probably a poor/corrupted file and Roon may have a strange way of handling it.

I've determined this by completely wiping Roon and all database from the computer. Then when re-adding my music back in, Roon cracks it.

I'll have to add each folder back, one by one, to see which one is the culprit. 

Windows 10

Core i7-7700 CPU

NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU

16GB RAM

NVME SSD

All fairly standard stuff.

That's almost identical to my system and it works a treat here. I wonder what the issue is!?

(Just saw your reply after I posted this - my browser hadn't refreshed)

Edited by PassionForSound
Late response
  • Like 1