Roon Discussion Thread

So what are some updated thoughts about Roon? Great-ish!

Having since played with the EQ and reigning in the set up, I've found that other free tools actually do a superior job across the system - that said, I wouldn't of had the confidence if it weren't for using Roon to set up me. So if people are considering Roon for its EQ prowess like I was to improve your sonic experience, then you'll need to look at all the features and see if its worth it. I think its inspiring to have all these tweaks at your finger tips in such a user friendly way. Some key differences are applying high pass filters at -16db over -6 in the other tool, plus not having to grant Roon elevated control over the machine which can clash when you use other programs. Edit: I totally forgot about things like special mics and tailored measurements and using Roons EQ features to side step a mini-dsp, which could be important for some people.

So it seems that a dedicated Roon box is in order as the next step which is also a fun prospect due to how diverse the set ups can be. A lot of fun if you're into bespoking your system for digital playback. It isn't something I care for however at this stage however.

Anyway if you're anything like me and use PC for a lot of playback then you may end up where I was with wanting to start dabbling with system wide EQ so as to ensure that your sound signature comes across in all your media formats and players. Especially if you're not into converting modern music into formats that Roon can play such as webm. Or if you enjoy a variety of sources outside of Roon such as Youtube, video games, streaming, radio, ect.

For the playlists, having spent last night reviewing all our playlists generated from both Roon, Tidal and other sources, I think that Tidal comes out on top. Just not for on the fly, party play list making. And the history function is just superb. Can we live without it? Yep. But its neat and we're glad we have it for now. Its a cool party trick changing things up from your tablet whilst in the spa.

No updates on casting music using Roon as the core, e.g shooting tunes out to the Google boxes or secondary music set ups in the other rooms doesn't really happen as a use case here. In fact its more likely that someone will want to do their own thing out there. E.g. Play Spotify/Prime on the PS4, BT the vinyl upstairs (Heresy I know) or plug their phone in via Aux and have a go. We have three balconies and a few rooms - but being open plan you're not going to want to have two people streaming in the same space unless you're deaf in one ear. When people aren't together, they're well, alone, doing their own thing and Roon doesn't necessarily enable that any better than all the stuff you need to have in the first place to maximise Roon.

Our subscription still has 6 or so and is definitely a nice to have but still I can't call it a necessity just yet. Which is great really because you want to be able to get on with your music be it streamed or otherwise. Imagine being totally dependant on a program to play your music. Unreal. Thankfully this isn't the case, but what is the case is that its the best of all players at this stage in a general sense. That said, for the spend, two tidal subscriptions seems like better value so as more people can stream their tunes, but as we know, diversifying your streaming content is king and you get to experience the best of the other worlds too. So get on those other subscriptions so you can get all the content and the exclusives. 

I think my initial impressions are still unchanged - which is that its a great player at its heart. Especially with the Tidal streaming integrating with Roon radio properly now too. But that's praise for Tidal not necessarily Roon. I can't convince everyone to like it but they like that I like it which is something I suppose haha. And if you're reading this and on the fence and a heavy computer user give it a try and see for yourself. Its probably the best way to appreciate your music. But I could be getting on now just like the old boys before me who stopped giving a damn about their 500+ records and just let them get dust on the shelf. I do the same, with just keeping my music in their disorganised folders and going for a rummage when I want a track. I know a lot of people with seriously expensive cans that might enjoy the ease of use for EQ too. Being able to tame your speakers and making up for any deficiencies they have, including the room to an extent, so that you can hit that curve you want in your listening spot is very fun. Being able to quickly swap sound settings to compensate for tracks to your taste quickly is also super cool when you cross genres and recordings as well.

So, whats the tl;dr? You should be able to do everything you want without it. Nice to have as its all in one place. 50/50 on letting the auto-renew go, cay sera.

Edited by StereoLepi
Forgot something
  • Like 1

On 09/10/2020 at 2:27 PM, DrSK said:

Hi all, new to Roon. 

Have my MS Surface running as a core and outputting to Microrendo. This all works fine. 

Downloaded the Android App and it has found the Surface. Accept remote connections is active. 

I can't figure out how to control via the App. Eg music is running fine from Surface.

Open the App and it is basically an independent session and doesn't Sync with the core? And if I play music from the App it outputs from the Surface speakers and not Microrendo. The Surface basically plays the Apps music out its speakers while also playing another album to microrendo...? 

Make sure you choose the rendu as the zone to play to, sounds like you have (probably by default) it set to surface speakers. Cool thing is you can run both as separate and /or simultaneous things if you want.

Hi Roon aficionados 

I have BlueOS on my Node2... And I keep seeing that people with Nodes use Roon.

What I can wrap my head around is what Roon actually does that’s different. I downloaded the trial, but it wanted to take control of a lot of things and it scared me off a little.

Does it replace BlueOS?

I did read the “what is roon?” page - but it didn’t help.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, frednork said:

Make sure you choose the rendu as the zone to play to, sounds like you have (probably by default) it set to surface speakers. Cool thing is you can run both as separate and /or simultaneous things if you want.

Thank you! Expected it to just control the Surface which was connected to Microrendu rather than open a whole new instance of Roon. 

Hi, there is a review of BlueOS here https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/a-2020-review-of-the-bluos-platform-r874/

the reviewer is asked what is the main difference between roon and blueos and the answer is below.

The biggest thing Roon offers over BluOS is an integrated / single panel view of all one’s music as if it’s a single library. Searching for Pearl Jam shows all my local albums on my NAS and the albums from streaming services together. As if everything was in my local collection. Searching is also over all sources at once. 

7 minutes ago, DrSK said:

Thank you! Expected it to just control the Surface which was connected to Microrendu rather than open a whole new instance of Roon. 

Roon is a bit different in that every instance of roon can control every music endpoint individually or simultaneously. This means both your surface and your android device can both control your rendu so you can use whichever is most convenient  at that moment.

Edited by frednork

7 minutes ago, frednork said:

Hi, there is a review of BlueOS here https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/a-2020-review-of-the-bluos-platform-r874/

the reviewer is asked what is the main difference between roon and blueos and the answer is below.

The biggest thing Roon offers over BluOS is an integrated / single panel view of all one’s music as if it’s a single library. Searching for Pearl Jam shows all my local albums on my NAS and the albums from streaming services together. As if everything was in my local collection. Searching is also over all sources at once. 

TY! That is definitely useful.

2 minutes ago, frednork said:

Roon is a bit different in that every instance of roon can control every music endpoint individually or simultaneously. This means both your surface and your android device can both control your rendu so you can use whichever is most convenient  at that moment.

Think this is going to be awesome! 

Roon has also found every Sonos speaker in the house which get used for background, kitchen and the bedrooms and the Sonos Connect which I use as a streamer to my Klein DAC on my second system. 

9 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

TY! That is definitely useful.

Must also add that I previously owned a BluOS device and now run Roon Lifetime. Another issue for me that is not mentioned in that review is that as ROon is not tied to hardware I have more flexibility in how I set the system up and the components I use. But in the end Roon is not necessarily going to be the best solution for everyone and if Roon didnt exist I would still be using BlueOS.

Edited by frednork

12 hours ago, frednork said:

Must also add that I previously owned a BluOS device and now run Roon Lifetime.

And I have now adopted Roonland for life as well and keeping BlueOS too.

I still haven't figured out if BlueOS or Roon does a good job at figuring out continuous playback based on an artist, genre, mood or something I last played.

I note BlueOS was a bit more crisp to my ears vs Roon on the softer side (both connected via Ethernet) especially MQA on Tidal - I definately need to play around :)

I liked that I can control Roon via my BlueOS app for basic navigation (RW, Pause, FW) because my Roon App often fails to find the Roon OS on a dedicated PC.

• Like 1

Anyone here using Roon with Opera Consonance streamers as endpoints?  The Opera X5 is listed as Roon Ready by Roon.  

I recently started using Roon and have a Reference Pro 25th Anniversary Streamer/DAC.  When I most recently updated the software on the streamer it included a Roon Ready on/off option in settings.  I had assumed that even thought this model was not listed by Roon that they had also upgraded their software for this streamer.

When I commenced using Roon it did indeed recognise the R8 as an endpoint - but using Airplay - I did not even know the streamer included airplay functionality.  Aside from not allowing higher resolution, my biggest issue is the inability to group this with my other Roon Ready zones.  Having said that it sounds quite good.

So is anyone using an Opera R8 25th anniversary and been ably to get it to operate as a Roon ready endpoint?  If so - how?

8 minutes ago, Lowgroove said:

Anyone here using Roon with Opera Consonance streamers as endpoints?  The Opera X5 is listed as Roon Ready by Roon.  

I recently started using Roon and have a Reference Pro 25th Anniversary Streamer/DAC.  When I most recently updated the software on the streamer it included a Roon Ready on/off option in settings.  I had assumed that even thought this model was not listed by Roon that they had also upgraded their software for this streamer.

When I commenced using Roon it did indeed recognise the R8 as an endpoint - but using Airplay - I did not even know the streamer included airplay functionality.  Aside from not allowing higher resolution, my biggest issue is the inability to group this with my other Roon Ready zones.  Having said that it sounds quite good.

So is anyone using an Opera R8 25th anniversary and been ably to get it to operate as a Roon ready endpoint?  If so - how?

AirPlay will always be recognised by Roon. It looks like the unit you have isnt Roon capable, whereas the X5 is and is listed as such. Anything that doesnt support Roon directly, but has AirPlay, will work, albeit at the mercy of AirPlays' limitations.

53 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

AirPlay will always be recognised by Roon. It looks like the unit you have isnt Roon capable, whereas the X5 is and is listed as such. Anything that doesnt support Roon directly, but has AirPlay, will work, albeit at the mercy of AirPlays' limitations.

I suspect you are right.  There are 2 confusing elements though:

1. the software in the unit clearly includes a "Roon Ready" switch for on/off (and the brand has another streamer which is formally recognised as Roon Ready); and

2. I can not find anywhere which states the unit has Airplay (however it clearly must be a feature as that is how it is connecting).

Anyway, just looking to see if there are any other owners who have come across the issue.  Given Opera products are not uncommon here I was hoping there might be.  

Even if it is not currently Roon Ready it may be in the next software update (current version is 12 months old) given they have developed the code for the cheaper streamer. 

27 minutes ago, Lowgroove said:

I suspect you are right.  There are 2 confusing elements though:

1. the software in the unit clearly includes a "Roon Ready" switch for on/off (and the brand has another streamer which is formally recognised as Roon Ready); and

2. I can not find anywhere which states the unit has Airplay (however it clearly must be a feature as that is how it is connecting).

Anyway, just looking to see if there are any other owners who have come across the issue.  Given Opera products are not uncommon here I was hoping there might be.  

Even if it is not currently Roon Ready it may be in the next software update (current version is 12 months old) given they have developed the code for the cheaper streamer. 

Its possible this is one of those instances / loopholes that Roon Labs is trying to close, where manufacturers walk away before final certification happens and still promote "Roon Ready" etc.

On 30/09/2020 at 8:47 PM, BrownMagic said:

Tidal app at HighRes and MQA. Once that happens I don't think I would ever look at Roon

And it just happened with Tidal Connect ?

And I think I may not use Roon as much as I hoped for with the Connect feature. Just waiting for the Tidal Family controls for Explicit content...Kids stay on Spotify/Google Music for now.

1 minute ago, ViVa said:

And it just happened with Tidal Connect ?

And I think I may not use Roon as much as I hoped for with the Connect feature. Just waiting for the Tidal Family controls for Explicit content...Kids stay on Spotify/Google Music for now.

Explicit content? Where can I find that?

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going lifetime Roon membership today, bitter pill at $699 USD, I know the yearly is probably cheaper and safer option in case Roon goes belly up, however for my needs with my setup and no further hassle moving forward the deal is done.

JDH

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, jdh500 said:

I ended up going lifetime Roon membership today, bitter pill at $699 USD, I know the yearly is probably cheaper and safer option in case Roon goes belly up, however for my needs with my setup and no further hassle moving forward the deal is done.

JDH

Until something better comes along, I think you should be alright. I would also be confident that somebody would buy out Roon Labs rather than let it disappear into the ether.

• 1 month later...

An update for any miniDSP SHD Users waiting for news on the long promised Roon End Point Certification.  Apparently 'close'!  The mini DSP devs have been taking a bit of a battering in their Forum for no updates - and today posted a somewhat defensive but positive update.

Original here:  https://www.minidsp.com/forum/shd-series/17805-roon-stop-support-for-uncertified-devices?start=90

Key post below

image.png.17a94b118f3d0c68e4a9f6b572e62cbd.png

• Like 1

Anyone finding Roon frustratingly slow to use particularly on start up?
I have been experiencing slow loads on the “Overview and Discover” for months now. It can take over 30 seconds for these to load. sometimes it’s ok but other times it has been poor. I can’t tie it to any particular update. I have been patient for months expecting it to be addressed in future updates but I am starting to lose patience.

It doesn’t matter if I use iOS or Android, iPads or smart phones. 

I did a quick search and found this thread on Roon  support https://community.roonlabs.com/t/very-slow-performance-specially-on-loading-overview-and-discover/114080  which describes the issues I am having from users with all kinds of configurations. I don’t see final solution in the many suggestions. 

i am not posting this hoping for helpful solutions but rather to share the pain and see if I am alone before pursuing further. 

22 minutes ago, k3here said:

Anyone finding Roon frustratingly slow to use particularly on start up?
I have been experiencing slow loads on the “Overview and Discover” for months now. It can take over 30 seconds for these to load. sometimes it’s ok but other times it has been poor. I can’t tie it to any particular update. I have been patient for months expecting it to be addressed in future updates but I am starting to lose patience.

It doesn’t matter if I use iOS or Android, iPads or smart phones. 

I did a quick search and found this thread on Roon  support https://community.roonlabs.com/t/very-slow-performance-specially-on-loading-overview-and-discover/114080  which describes the issues I am having from users with all kinds of configurations. I don’t see final solution in the many suggestions. 

i am not posting this hoping for helpful solutions but rather to share the pain and see if I am alone before pursuing further. 

No issues here, although I don’t really have a start up, as my Roon server and iPad app are always on.

Guest thathifiguy
22 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

Yeah I don’t have those issues. I do find the iOS app is a bit buggy lately though, unceremoniously kicking you out while using it.

I recently updated to an iPhone 12 Mini and ever since Roon has been incredibly unstable on my phone. I have deleted, reinstalled, off & on, power cycled network and streamers, nothing seems to resolve it.

I read a thread on their support site that suggests with some iOS users, there appears a sudden peak in RAM usage causing the app to crash suddenly. I suspect this is what is happening on my device. 

Strange though as it has been working fine on iPad and MBP.

Anyone else now getting errors in Roon saying "Roon lost control of the audio device"? 

Was all working a few weeks back, now all Sonos devices won't work.

Roon to Microrendo is still fine.

Anything else streaming to Sonos is fine.

It is just Roon to Sonos. 

Have rebooted all devices and router. Deleted and reinstalled Sonos App on phone and Roon Core on my Surface. Disabled and reenabled Sonos devices in Roon. Set all EQ off. 

Sonos device is a Connect connected to router via LAN. 

Sonos help phone and chat have no idea, spent over 2 hours with them. 

Edited by DrSK