Roon Discussion Thread

Guest Peter the Greek

Well, we've just got Roon going (after a few technical hickups - having to run in Windows 8 compatability mode). I reckon its awesome.......in saying that, we're upgrading from our old Dune Media HD Player, which is nothing but a folder type arrangement.

• 2 months later...

I'm trialing Roon to see if I like it or not, like that it integrates Tidal albums with local but I'm having a slight issue.

Running a headless MacMini and Roon is instilled onto it. MacMini will auto login and Roon Autostart, Problem is it asks for my login details when it restarts. If it's running I can close and reopen it but once the core is stopped it won't start with out login details. I then have to go to my main Mac and screen share the mini to login. Pain in the butt. Anyone know how to get Roon to auto login. Audirava starts up straight away and obviously has no login. I'm hoping Roon does this somehow

Thanks 

• Like 1

• Volunteer
Just now, barbz127 said:

Very odd

Regarding the download did you select Roon or Roon server https://roonlabs.com/downloads

I was just about to ask the same thing

I'm running a similar config (Roon on a 'headless" macMini"). I have Roon Server.

If you have a look here it tells you about which is the most suitable software to download

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Software_packages

1 minute ago, keitha said:

Thanks, I needed Roon Server.. Now to test it as much as possible in the 14 days trial

If you run out of time, email them. They might give you another week or so (they did for me)

Roon for me (and the wife) is great. Can't think of anything else I'd rather use 

Ok I'm trying this out and now wondering what's the best way to set it up. I'm running a MacMini into my Dac inside my Cambridge CXA81. The MacMini has a SSD drive attached with my music on it and runs out into a Mad scientist Black Magic USB Cable. Roon sees the Cambridge no worries. But should I run Roon Server or Roon Bridge and then the Server on my main computer. Just wondering what the optimal setup is, Ive heard different things so while on the trial I'd just try to get it right. 

Thanks

if the ssd is connected via usb it would be better to remove the usb drive and put it on the main computer and run server on that and bridge on the mini but if its internal  theres probably not going to be much in it so just run from the mac and keep it simple.

• Volunteer
13 hours ago, keitha said:

Ok I'm trying this out and now wondering what's the best way to set it up. I'm running a MacMini into my Dac inside my Cambridge CXA81. The MacMini has a SSD drive attached with my music on it and runs out into a Mad scientist Black Magic USB Cable. Roon sees the Cambridge no worries. But should I run Roon Server or Roon Bridge and then the Server on my main computer. Just wondering what the optimal setup is, Ive heard different things so while on the trial I'd just try to get it right. 

Thanks

My Mac mini has two hard drives attached via USB . My dac is also attached to the same Mac mini  (also via USB)

I just run Roon Server on that Mac mini and point roon at my hard drives for music.

Works a treat

11 hours ago, frednork said:

if the ssd is connected via usb it would be better to remove the usb drive and put it on the main computer and run server on that and bridge on the mini but if its internal  theres probably not going to be much in it so just run from the mac and keep it simple.

I'd not considered this option. Is there any issue if the main computer and the Mac mini are only connected via wifi (ie not physically connected via ethernet)?

(sorry to hijack the thread) 

16 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I'd not considered this option. Is there any issue if the main computer and the Mac mini are only connected via wifi (ie not physically connected via ethernet)?

(sorry to hijack the thread) 

Really depends on your local network and how good it is to avoid dropouts. Wifi is also not preferred in terms of SQ as it is noisy and will most likely increase noise and jitter passed to your dac. In your situation if you are unable to hardwire the mini I would just leave it as it is. It may not be that big an improvement anyway. Part of the reason why dedicated streamers can improve on SQ compared with mac/pc is overall reduced  noise from a dedicated OS that doesnt get the cpu to do lots of stuff thats not important for playing music as welll as more isolated/filtered usb and ethernet ports. Where they include wifi they try to limit the noise from that also.  There s only so far you can go with a generic pc/mac .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frednork said:

Really depends on your local network and how good it is to avoid dropouts. Wifi is also not preferred in terms of SQ as it is noisy and will most likely increase noise and jitter passed to your dac. In your situation if you are unable to hardwire the mini I would just leave it as it is. It may not be that big an improvement anyway. Part of the reason why dedicated streamers can improve on SQ compared with mac/pc is overall reduced  noise from a dedicated OS that doesnt get the cpu to do lots of stuff thats not important for playing music as welll as more isolated/filtered usb and ethernet ports. Where they include wifi they try to limit the noise from that also.  There s only so far you can go with a generic pc/mac .

In my current place (rental) I cannot have Ethernet between my NAS and Mac mini (both in office) and DEQX and stereo system in lounge.

however I use Netgear Orbi with a satellite unit.

so Mac mini and a NAS Synology are both using Ethernet to ports on the satellite orbi unit.

this then communicates with the main Orbi unit (wifi) into which the DEQX is plugged in via Ethernet.

I can’t be sure but as all end devices are using Ethernet only, with wifi only between orbi devices (AC).

I don’t get drop outs and I don’t believe sound quality is impacted.

Edited by Demondes

On 27/08/2020 at 11:42 AM, Demondes said:

In my current place (rental) I cannot have Ethernet between my NAS and Mac mini (both in office) and DEQX and stereo system in lounge.

however I use Netgear Orbi with a satellite unit.

so Mac mini and a NAS Synology are both using Ethernet to ports on the satellite orbi unit.

this then communicates with the main Orbi unit (wifi) into which the DEQX is plugged in via Ethernet.

I can’t be sure but as all end devices are using Ethernet only, with wifi only between orbi devices (AC).

I don’t get drop outs and I don’t believe sound quality is impacted.

I have the same setup, regarding Orbi. 
No issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

Something to digest with your breakfast this morning!

Important Changes to how Roon interacts with your Roon Ready devices

Dear Roon subscriber, 

When we first started our Roon Ready certification program, our goal was to provide a way for our customers to know that they were getting the best possible experience with their audio devices. People have come to trust Roon Ready devices to not only sound great, but work seamlessly in their homes with Roon. 

In an effort to continue making Roon Ready a reliable, trustworthy signifier of quality, we are implementing some changes to what happens when a Roon Ready device has not completed the certification process.

What is changing?
Starting September 21st, Roon Ready devices that are uncertified will no longer have the ability to be enabled on the Audio Settings screen. When this change is made, uncertified devices will be discoverable, but cannot be Enabled for use with Roon.

Why is it changing?
The Roon Ready certification allows people to trust that they’re getting the best quality possible, but when products are prematurely released before their certification is complete, that trust is undermined. Not only can it create problematic situations for all parties involved, it hurts the reputation of the entire Roon Ready program.

How will this impact me?
  • If your device is Enabled in Roon’s settings, it will stay Enabled. But if you Disable the device, you will not be able to Enable it again after September 21st.
  • If you purchase a device that is not certified as Roon Ready, you will not be able to Enable it for use after September 21st.
What do you need to do?
  • Avoid Disabling the device after September 21st
  • Contact your device’s manufacturer to make sure that they are working to complete their Roon Ready certification.
We do not have a mechanism for grandfathering specific products, so when we flip the switch on September 21st, it flips for everyone at once.

We hope that taking these steps will ensure that Roon Ready continues to be a sign of quality for our customers. While we can’t comment on specific certifications that are in progress, please reach out to us if you have any questions. 

If you have any questions, please head over to the Roon Community.

Thanks, and happy listening,
The Roon Team

Roon Bridge is not affected. Community-developed stuff is not affected. This is only about manufacturers who licensed the Roon Ready SDK from us commercially, then violated our license by skipping the Roon Ready certification process. It’s not very many manufacturers. We began communicating with manufacturers about this in 2018 . They have had ample warning to sort things out.

not verified but brands which may have problems are bricasti, nad/bluesound, arcam, Ayre, chord?

and just saw this

We are seeing some confusion on the recent announcement about uncertified Roon Ready devices and September 21.

First and foremost

If you are currently playing to ANY device successfully, you WILL NOT LOSE ACCESS TO THAT DEVICE ON SEPTEMBER 21.

So, what happens on September 21st?

Well, before we talk about what happens, let’s confirm if you have an affected device. You can verify if you have an affected device by visiting Sidebar > Settings > Audio, and checking if you have a pink UNCERTIFIED banner that looks like this:

5659d65c50cdd35a2133044beafcb70afa307f95.jpeg 1

If you do not see this pink banner, you are not going to be affected. Enjoy the music!

If you do see the pink banner, you will no longer be allowed to “enable” that device after September 21st. This change will only affect newly installed Roon Cores, and any database resets. If the device is already “enabled” before September 21st, you will be unaffected.

If you have an uncertified device… now what?

First, DO NOT DISABLE IT or reset your Roon database. Disabling it will result in not being able to enable it again until the device is certified.

Next, reach out to your device’s manufacturer and ask how you will be notified when a properly certified Roon Ready firmware will be available for your device.

If your device is not certified, it most likely has issues that affect its performance, reliability, and/or overall experience. If you’ve not experienced any problems, then consider yourself lucky. Still, we certify devices across a much broader range of networks, audio formats, and use cases than any single person will use. This is the reason why the Roon Ready certification exists.

Why is this happening? I thought I was safe with Roon Ready.

The Roon Ready program, the RAAT networking protocol, and the certification process is all about creating trust.

The Roon Ready program and the RAAT protocol allows manufacturers to add audiophile-focused network streaming to their devices without sacrificing simplicity and reliability.

The certification program exists so that you can trust that the devices will work perfectly when they get to your house. During certification, we often find bugs that undermine the sound quality, networking reliability, and status of the current device (signal path and transport stuff).

A device that is “uncertified Roon Ready” means that it is in the process of becoming “Roon Ready certified”, but has not yet completed the testing and certification process.

Uncertified devices are not meant to be sold to the public, but instead only used by the manufacturers’ development teams.

Not every manufacturer obeys the rules, thus breaking the trust the program intends to create. If you bought an uncertified device, it means the manufacturer violated the trust we wanted to create and have violated the Roon Ready license terms. We currently call out those development devices with a pink banner, as you can see above, in hopes that no user is fooled into purchasing “beta” hardware.

We’ve been trying to get manufacturers to fix this issue for over two years and for every one that fixes the situation, two more break the rules. We had to draw the line somewhere, and September 21st is where we drew it. I guess this is just a side effect given the success of the program.

Every audio device manufacturer affected knows what’s going on and has chosen to prioritize other tasks over getting appropriately certified. We are shutting down this bad behavior before it gets out of control.

The good news is that 90% of the offending manufacturers have recently submitted new firmware or made other movements in their certification process. Many already had been certified, but the users need to be contacted to get new firmware (with bugfixes) for their devices.