Donate computer power for Covid research

I have recently discovered that everyone with spare computer processing capacity can help research in many areas, including Covid-19.  Basically you download some software and then your computer help with research.  All it cost is some electricity, a small price to advance science. Check out https://foldingathome.org/.  I would love to see a SNA team on there!

This what this group is saying:

We are focusing the Foldingathome compute power on SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, and the human proteins the virus interacts with.

First, we uncovered novel protein structures that were previously inaccessible to the research community. 

With your help, we are now screening for potential drugs to target these structures as a part of the COVID Moonshot Collaboration.

https://foldingathome.org/

Edited by Jventer
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, soundbyte said:

Not for me, sorry.

Too many security questions, no obvious answers.

Too much like phishing for me.

I understand your concerns.

I normally use Mac's for security reasons and I use Internet Security and Virus Software programs as well.

Of course I too was quite sceptical until I started to research this in detail. 

Check out the people behind this, e.g. Stanford University in the USA.

Since I joined I have not had a single event to doubt this, but you do not have to believe me. If you are not interested  - I fully understand.

If you are interested, there is ample info on the internet.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, emesbee said:

You've got to be kidding. This one has 'red alert, do not enter' written all over it.

@soundbyte - you can also check this link

To me looks like there is a bucket load of IT people already involved: https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams

I am trying to do some good here.

If you are interested - please participate, if you don't  - I respect your opinion.

Edited by Jventer

24 minutes ago, Batty said:

Pumping up the numbers

Thanks! You are doing a great job!

I have a 6 year old laptop  i5 running 24 hours and are far behind you! I started a 8 year old mac mini as well this morning to see what it can do.  In a few weeks time I may be able to add a new PC.

What PC do you use?

For all i know, they could be using our CPU for mining bitcoin at our expense  :) 

However, i have invested into a Australian company, should they pull it off it will be win/win situation. Not only are they looking into COVID but are also have  completed Phase 2 HIV‐1 clinical trial.  ASX: BIT https://www.biotron.com.au/

my 2c.

Dean 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jventer said:

Thanks! You are doing a great job!

I have a 6 year old laptop  i5 running 24 hours and are far behind you! I started a 8 year old mac mini as well this morning to see what it can do.  In a few weeks time I may be able to add a new PC.

What PC do you use?

18month old i5 with a RX2070 GPU.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those sceptics, the folding at home has been going on since nearly the beginning of the internet.

Last time I was in a group I think we were looking for extraterrestrial communications.

Anyway, I'll join up shortly when I go upstairs to the i7 rig.

• Like 2

• Administrator
On 29/08/2020 at 1:45 PM, Pasic007 said:

For all i know, they could be using our CPU for mining bitcoin at our expense  :) 

However, i have invested into a Australian company, should they pull it off it will be win/win situation. Not only are they looking into COVID but are also have  completed Phase 2 HIV‐1 clinical trial.  ASX: BIT https://www.biotron.com.au/

my 2c.

Dean 

If you got in recently, you're in a better position than me. I bought in a long time ago back when they were at $0.18 :(

On 28/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, LogicprObe said:

Last time I was in a group I think we were looking for extraterrestrial communications

Yep, it was called SETI@home 

I used to run it back in the day on a Windows98 machine with 56K dial-up ?

Edited by aasza
  • Like 3

On 29/10/2020 at 6:35 AM, Marc said:

If you got in recently, you're in a better position than me. I bought in a long time ago back when they were at $0.18 :(

I hope it will ve over 20c within 3month.  i keep buying more sitting just under 10c avrg. Hopefully something good comes out.

I had massive win few years ago, got in at 2c and sold at peak 39c. Pure luck.

• Like 1

When not folding my PC is barely idling, the psu fan hardly turns and the CPU fan is running at min speed.

With folding on it is full speed ahead, everything is spinning at max speed, so it must be doing some work.

My bottleneck is probably my wifi.