NAD T758 V3 or V3i - does anyone have it?

Hi Y'all

As the title says, does anyone in AUSTRALIA have this bad boy, and what are your thoughts?

Understanding the new V3i was just released start of this month: https://www.stereo.net.au/news/nad-electronics-t-758-v3i-now-available with street pricing is around the $1,999 mark delivered from most retailers.

I've read plenty of overseas reviews and videos, but half of them are in a different language. 

I'm looking to replace my aging Cambridge Audio 650R which has a busted on-screen display module (typical CA Receiver build quality might I add...), and figure the CA can be demoted 2nd room duties. 

I'm an ultra late adopter, don't even have 4K yet and don't plan to seeing I don't take my videophilia as serious these days.

Thank you 

Hi

I have owned one in the past (moved away from HT).

I think it's the best in it's class processing wise (including blueOS for streaming). MY only complaint is that it isn't the most powerful (but no complaints at its price point - it kills everything else in the price range). I added a big NAD 2 channel power amp, and once that load was removed from the receiver, it performed very, very well.

thanks Billy for the feedback. 

Yes...power...that's the one thing the CA 650R is good at, delivering power at a low price point. NAD's 60w at 8ohms all channels driven should be fine for normal use, but I've got inefficient Dynaudio's, so that will be my biggest struggle. 

It's most definately the worse time for me to purchase a new "entry level" AVR with all the shortages out of China, unless I spend the big bucks and go for some high end model costing many thousands of donuts - lady friend will not be happy.

50 minutes ago, Wilco said:

thanks Billy for the feedback. 

Yes...power...that's the one thing the CA 650R is good at, delivering power at a low price point. NAD's 60w at 8ohms all channels driven should be fine for normal use, but I've got inefficient Dynaudio's, so that will be my biggest struggle. 

It's most definately the worse time for me to purchase a new "entry level" AVR with all the shortages out of China, unless I spend the big bucks and go for some high end model costing many thousands of donuts - lady friend will not be happy.

The plus side is that you can add power amps - it has every processing option available, and it's upgradable by module for new tech in the future... and you're right, for day-to-day it's more than fine.

I imagine decent power on the front 3 and it could easily handle anything most people would ever want.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, Marc said:

We have the 758 v3i in for review at the moment and nearly completed. Shouldn't be long until published.

Thanks, can't get any better than an in house review! Beats reading random reviews online!

13 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

The plus side is that you can add power amps - it has every processing option available, and it's upgradable by module for new tech in the future... and you're right, for day-to-day it's more than fine.

I imagine decent power on the front 3 and it could easily handle anything most people would ever want.

Yes definately, I was just asking for the impossible with one black box, lots of power in an entry level price point hehe. I'm also just lazy to make way for the space with power amps but figured it will dawn on me one day. 

The only assured way to power less efficient HT speakers is to get multi channel amps.  Anything else is a compromise.  I went from a NAD T758V3 to an Arcam AVR 550.  The Arcams are about the only AVRs that can be assured of decent and consistent power output but they come at a price premium.

Other than an upgrade to Airplay 2 & Siri, I am struggling to find what V3i delivers on top of V3..

The other advantages of the T758V3 are Dirac Live (excellent room correction for both movies and music) and BluOS (easy to use and set up music interface).

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Marc said:

We have the 758 v3i in for review at the moment and nearly completed. Shouldn't be long until published.

My mistake. We have the 778 V3i in for review currently.

We already reviewed the 758 V3 back in December 2017 and the review is here: https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/review-nad-electronics-t-758-v3-av-receiver

The V3 "i" was just an updated BluOS implementation and Apple AirPlay2. It didn't warrant us revisiting that product for review.

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

I just purchased this receiver and the setup whilst not as user friendly as some of the mainstream brands seemed pretty straight forward.  I have not run Dirac as yet but the basic setup is simple enough. 

My only reservation is the power output. Its rated at 110w across two channels and 60w all channels driven but the output seems a bit anaemic. I have Elac Debut 2.0 speakers in a 5.1 setup and my previous mid tier Onkyo NR646 seemed to drive these easier than the NAD, which surprised me. I would rarely get much past 55% volume when using the Onkyo but I am getting the NAD up near towards reference levels to get the same volume. 

I knew it wouldnt be a powerhouse but I have had these speakers on an 80w NAD 2 channel integrated amp recently and it too put out much higher volume. I am wondering if I am missing something? As mentioned I have not run Dirac calibration as yet but this isnt going to affect the power output. 

The sound and build quality is certainly better than the Onkyo but I expected a little more oomph?

@S1000XR

Please check that you have not accidentally wired the speakers wrongly. The T758V3 puts out plenty of power.

Next,  check with a stereo source and left and right speakers, and disable all processing, surround modes etc. If this is still soft, then you may have a faulty unit.

Thanks for the response Snoop. I will double check the speaker polarities but I normally triple check these on installation to save any egg on the face moments but hey we can all make a mistake. 

I have been running straight stereo over BluOS and had the tone controls bypassed as part of testing. 

I am not a power junkie by any means volume wise but the fact it was down on power compared to my run of the mill Onkyo that caused me to question it. 

Will Dirac detect highlight potential polarity issues or do they expect you to be a big boy and have this stuff sorted beforehand? 

1 hour ago, S1000XR said:

Will Dirac detect highlight potential polarity issues or do they expect you to be a big boy and have this stuff sorted beforehand? 

Indirectly it will. There is a loudness setting of each pair of speakers.  Suggest you go through process as another of your tests. 

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

@S1000XR

Please check that you have not accidentally wired the speakers wrongly. The T758V3 puts out plenty of power.

Confirmed the speaker polarities this afternoon. All good. 

Maybe its just getting used to another source and the Elacs are only a couple of weeks old as well. So many variables.

The sound quality is definitely much improved. The Onkyo had plenty of guts but sounded like it was throwing everything at the wall all at once, the NAD is impressive so far for 2 channel listening on an AVR and that’s before running Dirac. Its very inconsistent across different tracks currently, one track will sound fantastic and the next a bit of a mess. Hoping Dirac can tidy that up. 

For engaged listening i find i am sitting on about -20db and movies are at about 20db or maybe -15db to up the excitement. Does that sound about right to you Snoop? 

12 hours ago, S1000XR said:

Confirmed the speaker polarities this afternoon. All good. 

Maybe its just getting used to another source and the Elacs are only a couple of weeks old as well. So many variables.

The sound quality is definitely much improved. The Onkyo had plenty of guts but sounded like it was throwing everything at the wall all at once, the NAD is impressive so far for 2 channel listening on an AVR and that’s before running Dirac. Its very inconsistent across different tracks currently, one track will sound fantastic and the next a bit of a mess. Hoping Dirac can tidy that up. 

For engaged listening i find i am sitting on about -20db and movies are at about 20db or maybe -15db to up the excitement. Does that sound about right to you Snoop? 

Suggest running Dirac, will take SQ up quite a bit. Suggest you also upgrade to full licence and get a proper USB microphone and stand. (PM me if you want to buy near new mike, stand, but that is not intent of suggestion. Do not like supplied puck, even Arcam use them).

The volume does depend on size of room. In my large family room, was using typically -20 on NAD.

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Suggest running Dirac, will take SQ up quite a bit. Suggest you also upgrade to full licence and get a proper USB microphone and stand. (PM me if you want to buy near new mike, stand, but that is not intent of suggestion. Do not like supplied puck, even Arcam use them).

The volume does depend on size of room. In my large family room, was using typically -20 on NAD.

Thanks for the advice. I will definately run Dirac soon, I am just finalising the room layout. 

I appreciate the offer on the mic and stand. I have a stand so I think i will give it a try on the supplied mic and see how much of an improvement it makes but I agree with your advice about the better quality mic ultimately getting a better result. I may take you up on it if need be. 

My lounge room isnt overly large but at least the -20db level indicates I am in the ballpark and the AVR isnt underperforming. It still seems lower power wise to my previous Onkyo which definately surprises but as we all know volume isn't everything...

• Like 1

Gday

I have the NAD 777v3.  Purchased last year as I replaced my previous NAD.  Connected to my stereo are four Orpheus speakers , centre and sub.  I have a pre set for music with BluOS and four speakers in stereo.  I have a large room and -20db is great, tad more and the neighbors will hear my 70 & 80s music.  Not a guru, but in regards to dirac setup some guides.  May help you out. 

https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2-mic-speaker-levels/

https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-avr-crossover/

https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2/

29 minutes ago, Pararigger said:

Gday

I have the NAD 777v3.  Purchased last year as I replaced my previous NAD.  Connected to my stereo are four Orpheus speakers , centre and sub.  I have a pre set for music with BluOS and four speakers in stereo.  I have a large room and -20db is great, tad more and the neighbors will hear my 70 & 80s music.  Not a guru, but in regards to dirac setup some guides.  May help you out. 

https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2-mic-speaker-levels/

https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-avr-crossover/

https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-2/

Hi Pararigger. Many thanks for the Dirac guide links. Much appreciated. I will do the Dirac setup on the weekend. Kick the rest of the family out of the house for a couple of hours! 

Having tested and used the unit over the last day or two along with the advice from Snoopy8, I don’t think its a matter of the NAD being underpowered as opposed to the usable volume range being higher on the volume scale than my Onkyo. Not sure i am explaining myself that well but hopefully you get the jist. 

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Further to this I have been considering adding a c275bee to power my front channels on the T758v3i . Whist the receiver sounds fine up to fairly loud volumes I just think the dedicated stereo power amp will take the pressure off the receiver considering its pushing 5 x 6 ohm Elacs with fairly low sensitivity.  Probably overkill but interested in peoples thoughts.

Also any negatives in regards to Dirac Live coniguration? My thoughts are as the levels are set during setup the external amp should be irrelevant?

• 4 months later...
On 06/04/2021 at 12:22 PM, S1000XR said:

Hi All,

Further to this I have been considering adding a c275bee to power my front channels on the T758v3i . Whist the receiver sounds fine up to fairly loud volumes I just think the dedicated stereo power amp will take the pressure off the receiver considering its pushing 5 x 6 ohm Elacs with fairly low sensitivity.  Probably overkill but interested in peoples thoughts.

Also any negatives in regards to Dirac Live coniguration? My thoughts are as the levels are set during setup the external amp should be irrelevant?

28 minutes ago, k3nnis888 said:

Would like to know the answer too!

Yes it should be fine as levels should be set during setup which should occur before Dirac Live.

• Administrator
On 06/04/2021 at 12:52 PM, S1000XR said:

Hi All,

As mentioned above, no issues at all and this approach is often used. It's no different to using a dedicated AV Processor and dedicated external amps. You should notice improvement as you hope for with the Receiver itself doing less work.

• 3 months later...

Thanks all for confirming this. I wondered if the Dirac processing would be done after the preout in the signal chain? Sounds like this isnt an issue.

I have not upgraded to an external amp as yet but thinking the Emotiva BASX 3 channel would be ideal.