So in 2020 how do you know your analog rig sounds great?

In every case where I have both a CD version and a good condition LP, my vinyl system utterly wipes the floor with my digital version.

Recent cases in point:

Propellerheads: Decks andsrumsandrockandroll

Buena Vista Social Club

Singles OST

Night and day difference.  The CD's will only get a run when I want to listen in the car, or when there is a need to not be flipping album sides (background music during dinner for instance).

• Like 7

12 hours ago, artaudio said:

this would be the wrong aproceh as we should all know digital is better in every way over vinyl but to this day a good vinyl system still offers better music? 

How do you figure that?

In my situation my vinyl rig does sound better than my digital.

There are also plenty of systems that I've heard where this is the case too though this is not to say where some systems the digital may sound better where the main focus has been on the digital in building the system.

To answer your question comparing your vinyl to your digital is probably a decent benchmark in judging your vinyl playback as the rest of the system is a constant.

The other way is to listen to other vinyl based systems and then basically listen to where the weaknesses are in your vinyl playback to see which areas can be improved.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, artaudio said:

we all know digital is better so how do you you know the vinyl analog is sounding great?

Really, this is just the same old chestnut of digital v vinyl argument, just framed a different way and that is why all my responses here in this thread have been with tongue planted firmly in the cheek. There are those here that know that vinyl reproduction is far superior to digital and there are those poor deluded individuals here that think digital is a better medium.:winky: And @artaudio, you say you have 40 years in the audio business, so I think you should probably be answering the question, not asking it.O.o

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, muon* said:

It is a very strange question isn't it.

Correct is different for different listeners, and what is correct for some is not correct for others so in essence you are correct, Andy...in that it is never correct, but at the same time it is.

A question that has an answer and no answer O.o

Very Zen, Ian.  xD  Did you get stuck into the sake with your sushi, for dinner?

Andy

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My vinyl rig wipes the floor with the digital. Vinyl is as detailed with same bass punch as digital but the vinyl just fills the room whereas the digital has a wide but flatter sound stage. My vinyl chain is totally analog. Ok it does cost more money to get the vinyl sounding better than digital. When I had the Rega RP8/Aphetta 2 I could never get it sounding better than my digital, the SP10 / EPA100 / EPC 205 changed this in a heat beat. So setup does make a huge difference.

I have Pink Floyd The Wall in 3 versions

1979 UK 1st pressing,  1983 Pink Floyd Dance Songs 180g Japanese pressing digitally mastered and CD version.

The UK pressing is soo much better than either of the others. What is interesting is the 1983 LP is audibly very close to the CD.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Telecine said:

You know, I think there is an argument that you are actually listening to a digital system ;) 

Well … I guess you could say that, John!  :)

But the source is still analogue - and as St Ivor preaches … it's the source that's key!  xD

Andy

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, andyr said:

Well … I guess you could say that, John!  :)

But the source is still analogue - and as St Ivor preaches … it's the source that's key!  xD

Andy

Well St Ivor has gone digital with his phono stage and preamp, so maybe you are a trend setter.

I'm very much in St Ivor's church ?? (whether it is analog or digital

Both analog and digital sides of things are pretty good here. Funny though, I was listening to a jazz fusion album off the NAS the other day thinking this is pretty good digital experience, great sound stage, instrument delineation, inner low level detail, plenty of rhythm. Then I realised that it was a 96/24 rip I made from the LP vinyl version a couple of years ago. The source never lies  ??

There are too many assumptions stated as fact in the OP that I couldn't even be bothered with a detailed answer. Ask yourself this, are you able to even hear the difference between a digital and analogue recording? It's obvious to some!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telecine said:

Well St Ivor has gone digital with his phono stage and preamp, so maybe you are a trend setter.

Is that so, John!  I hadn't caught up with that particular tidbit.  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, awayward said:

So you wouldn’t enjoy digital if it is better than analogue?

That question, although valid, isn't really relevant to the original posters question.

The answer, although out of context to the original question,  would then be another question, asking, why run analogue at all if you thought digital was better?

A lot have sold their LP and players off years ago, only to reconsider and get back into it [ and it would seem at a far greater expense than originally], only to find that although sounding great, the romance with the format just isn't there any more, the reason being the convenience factor of digital, and that the fact that most new LP's use digital masters, which to an extent sort of defeats the point.

I've still got all my analogue stuff, but it's packed up, and the reason why is I got fed up with a perpetual losing battle with dust.

I haven't tried this [as yet], but it has just come to mind.

If you own a PC/MAC with a DAW of some type installed [ Logic /Cuebase/Studio One etc ], you could run your digital files through one of the many mastering plugins that add either Tape emulation or LP / Eqing emulation, and rerecord them, then compare the two......see if it sounds to you like it's coming off a LP.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Easy vinyl wins for overall enjoyment, bit like going to a live event as it takes some amount of effort for both but in this case it's  to usher the album onto the turntable, cue the arm and drop the needle unlike digital where you press play and obtain instant gratification but hey that's just me and my opinion which is practically worthless in today's currency

I beg to differ with your closing sentence. Definitely NOT worthless in today's currency!

"Correct" or "better"? I have extensive access to both digital and vinyl sources but my personal preference and greatest listening pleasure invariably comes from vinyl records. For whatever reason, I much prefer the music sourced via my turntable. Does it sound great? Yes!

Edited by Bisguittin
typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, andyr said:

Very Zen, Ian.  xD  Did you get stuck into the sake with your sushi, for dinner?

Andy

I like that, Andy :lol:

Though I never liked Sake  or raw fish, and gave up drinking 30 years ago....Damn! 30 years! now O.o

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Thanks for the link, John.

I note that:

1. maximum gain is 66dB (2000x) - so a bit light on for MC carts under 0.24mV
  2. maximum MC loading is only 1K, and
  3. minimum cap loading for MMs is up at 500pF.

Andy

I'm sure that it works fine with Linn Cartridges ;) 

Look out!!! It's me! :afro:

I've been listening quite a lot lately to my Digital setup. Even though it's minimal, it sounds ok. In the Garden. Where I am getting rid of overgrown litter (4 large skips so far).

If I had played my vinyl, (besides changing sides and puting other LP's on).I WOULD'NT BE ABLE TO WORK IN THE GARDEN. That's how I know my Vinyl player sound great.

2 hours ago, Telecine said:

I'm sure that it works fine with Linn Cartridges ;) 

Sure - but it just shows that Linn is still a 'closed' environment - like Apple was in the early days.  :)

Andy

• Like 1