12 inch Tonearm Recommendation

20 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

They all wobble (uni pivots) some less than others, the damping goop, string or magnets just reduce the amount they dont eliminate it.

Chris

19 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I think Bob Graham would disagree with you.

Bob certainly would!  xD

At least my G2.2 had a silicon bath which the pivot point rested in.  I can believe that this might 'work ' better (in terms of wobble) than Duc's 'UniVector'.  Then again, shirley any 'wobble' would reveal itself in loss of resolution … and a confimed digiphile who came and listened to my system last year said "I'm amazed you can get so much resolution from vinyl ".  (This is with Duc's arm.)

However, my other arm is a Magnepan 'Unitrac' - from the 80s.  This is interesting because - although it is a UP … the downward-facing spike rests in a ball race (not a cup).  So maybe this makes for less 'wobble ' than a spike resting in a jewelled cup (or a cup resting on top of a spike)?

Andy

14 minutes ago, andyr said:

Bob certainly would!  xD

At least my G2.2 had a silicon bath which the pivot point rested in.  I can believe that this might 'work ' better (in terms of wobble) than Duc's 'UniVector'.  Then again, shirley any 'wobble' would reveal itself in loss of resolution … and a confimed digiphile who came and listened to my system last year said "I'm amazed you can get so much resolution from vinyl ".  (This is with Duc's arm.)

However, my other arm is a Magnepan 'Unitrac' - from the 80s.  This is interesting because - although it is a UP … the downward-facing spike rests in a ball race (not a cup).  So maybe this makes for less 'wobble ' than a spike resting in a jewelled cup (or a cup resting on top of a spike)?

Andy

Bob uses magnets to stop any wobble on all his current tonearms.

• Like 1

J . Walton solved the stability problem of unipivot arms by adding de-coupling bearings to the pivot weight cup. That occurred around 1960 and it was  known as the Acos Hi-Light pickup arm.  Unfortunately it only accepted the heads  that were designed to operate at very low tracking pressures, 1 gram for the mono and 2 gram for the stereo model.  Not being able to use other cartridges was a drawback.

Edited by VanArn

46 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

They all wobble no matter if damped, the wobble can be reduced with damping, strings magnets etc, but they wobble no matter how little they do.

Chris

44 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

The magnet wont stop ANY wobble it will reduce  the wobble.

Chris

Feel free to read about the magnaglide system.   Have you used a Graham arm?

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/graham-engineering-phantom-b-44-tonearm-page-2

Edited by metal beat