Funk: Currently spinning

2Brix

To tie the last couple of posts together: Bootsy owns the Rubber Band name, but when I think rubber band I think of The Meters. Those interlocking grooves that s-t-r-e-t-c-h out, then snap! back. I guess James Brown's band did a similar thing in a big band setting, maybe all good funk band do it. But The Meters got the memo early and when you hear them do it, stripped down to a rhythm section, it's essence of funk. 

• Like 1

< The Wild Tchoupitoulas were originally a group of Mardi Gras Indians formed in the early 1970s by George Landry. With help from local New Orleans musicians The Meters, The Wild Tchoupitoulas recorded an eponymous album, which featured the "call-and-response" style chants typical of Mardi Gras Indians. Vocals were provided by Landry, as "Big Chief Jolly", as well as other members of his Mardi Gras tribe. Instrumentation was provided in part by members of the Meters. The album also notably featured Landry's nephews, the Neville Brothers, providing harmonies and some of the instrumentation. While not a financial success, the effort was well received critically and the experience recording it encouraged the four Neville brothers to perform together for the first time as a group. The album was produced by famed New Orleans writer/musician and record producer Allen Toussaint. >

• Like 2

On 31/10/2020 at 5:55 PM, 2Brix said:

Funky keys, funky geetars and a succession of smoking hot sax solos

The last sax soloist has incredible circular breathing, he and the pianist were the real show stoppers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if we're knocking around with the fusion boys...

Nothing says funky like soul food.

Chicken Fried Steak - Lenny White

This time, Lenny shrugs off his worries.

Away Go Troubles Down The Drain - Lenny White 

Edited by t_mike
  • Like 1