Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R or the DMS Effect.......

I just got my hands on the Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R "Gaming Headphones" after watching the DMS review on YouTube.

I'm not a reviewer nor an audiophile but I agree with the reviewer and for me these headphones are just brilliant. I'm a firm believer that price does not equal performance especially in this industry and for way less than 500 bucks these are a bargain. I actually think they are charging 50 too much for them here in Oz.

Anyways, check out the review and if you can audition these please do as I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

I just got a set this week.

I'm coming from a HD600 and HD650. I wanted something for playing games and watching movies. I was looking for something with better imaging and soundstage than the Sennheisers. The TYGRs definitely deliver in this department. 

They are my go to for movies and games now. 

Because of the fleece that Beyerdynamic have used to dampen the treble they actually sound similar to the Sennheisers in a good way. 

The treble spike that's inherent in the DT990 driver that the TYGRs use has been reduced by half while the mids and bass have remained the same.

I still prefer my Sennheisers for music because the TYGRs still have dipped miss (according to my ear).

Some genres of music benefit from the wide soundstage and a sub-bass that the Sennheisers do not have but this is few and far between.

The timbre on the Sennheisers still top the Beyers in this case.

They excel at what they're good at, gaming and films. I feel like I'm experiencing an accurate recreation of a 5.1 system in two transducers (in the form of headphones).

They have an enveloping sound with no gaps in the imaging and an encompassing soundstage.

I feel right in the movie as I'm watching it.

The comfort is phenomenal as the clamp force is very light out of the box and I instantly forget that I'm wearing them. The comfort is similar to the Sennheisers but is a notch above because of the reduced clamp force.

The only downside is the non-detachable cable. I really feel at this price point the cable should be detachable. Otherwise, build quality is top notch.

I highly recommend these headphones. While I feel that DMS uses some hyperbole they definitely punch above their price point and I have no desire upgrading any further.

Hope you enjoyed my read. It uses alot of flowery language but it's just a ramble on my thoughts so far.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by Farpun
Spelling
  • Like 1

Also, for the current $350 down from $450 at Minidisc, these are a steal. In most parts of the world they are bundled with an included fox mic which bumps up the price dramatically. We're surprisingly lucky for the pricing. I recommend everyone jumps on this.

I just hope that oratory1990 releases a Harman target EQ profile for these and I may be able to enjoy these for music as much as I do my Sennheisers.

18 hours ago, Farpun said:

Also, for the current $350 down from $450 at Minidisc, these are a steal. In most parts of the world they are bundled with an included fox mic which bumps up the price dramatically. We're surprisingly lucky for the pricing. I recommend everyone jumps on this.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The price direct from Beyerdynamic Germany is 141 Euro (233 AUD).

So as per usual we get to pay the living in Australia Tax. They should be $299.00 here max.

The mids don't sound massively scooped to me. I quite like them.

Beyerdynamic-Tygr-300-R-FR-Chart.png

Edited by oldf%$ker
  • Like 1

On 23/08/2020 at 11:06 AM, oldf%$ker said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The price direct from Beyerdynamic Germany is 141 Euro (233 AUD).

So as per usual we get to pay the living in Australia Tax. They should be $299.00 here max.

The mids don't sound massively scooped to me. I quite like them.

Beyerdynamic-Tygr-300-R-FR-Chart.png

Yeah mids don't sound massively scooped to me either. They just sound slightly dipped compared to my relatively forward Sennheisers. I also think it might be because of the wider soundstage too that makes them sound less intimate or more 'distant'. I absolutely love the TYGRs.

That's such a shame about the pricing! Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise they were that cheap in their native country! But I still think they're a bargain at $350.

Thanks for creating the post, I'm so glad that there's a fellow stereoneter that's enjoying them too.

Edited by Farpun

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine for the intended purpose I bought them and that is gaming. 

I also find them great for some tracks but find that something is off that makes them sound abrasive in the mids at times. 
This ‘quality’ for me makes them sound amazing on some metal and electronic tracks, but terrible on others. Kind of a double edged sword. 

in terms of separation, bass extension, sound stage and even with the dulled highs (for a Beyer) I find the tygr objectively Bettwr than the Hd6xx. 

But in river and general straight up enjoyment of music I prefer the Hd6xx.

compared to the DT880 I simply found the tygr sounded a bit rough around the edges and less refined. It was kind of like comparing the hd58x to the 6xx. I liked both but comparatively the dt880 just had more detail and a cleaner sound. 

the DT880 however I felt the bass was a little more boomy than the tygr (didn’t have multiple amps on hand so may have just not been driven well enough), while having less kick and a more v shaped sound. 

It really depends what you are after and as always what you prefer. 

Personally I found the dt880 and Hd6xx were great as they were different enough that both make sense in a collection and imo both punch above their price point.

The tygr is kind of like the love child of the dt880 and Hd6xx in the sense that it’s literally somewhere in between. 

If you have either the Hd6xx or dt880 and plan on listening to music primarily then I personally wouldn’t bother with the tygr. But if you don’t have either it’s definitely worth trying out. 

if you are using it for gaming or movies, the tygr is fantastic and I am thoroughly enjoying mine for this use case. 

I've had these for a few weeks now. I can see why DMS reckons they are 80% DT1990. I think 90% as I'm now having a love hate relationship with these. On some tracks they are sublime. On others ordinary.

The same love hate relationship I had with my 1990.

It's interesting now Beyer have a gaming category of headphones - I often wonder what drivers they are using and if any from their top tier range end up in some of their gaming headphones. Would make sense. Imaging a T1 Gen 1 driver in a cheaper gaming headphone!!

Edited by oldf%$ker