Hi, Can anyone suggest how I can get the digital audio signal from a laptop to an old dac that doesn't have usb input?

The dac in question is an Audio Alchemy DDE v3 with coax BNC, toslink and I2s inputs. Googled image below.

Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 - DAC

Edited by legselevens

You can use an external USB to SPDIF converter or fit an Amanero receiver board inside, instead of that useless optical input. Although the packaging inside looks to be quite tight. 

You need a usb to spdif converter. There are many and it depends on your budget. I have used an Audiophilleo for many years.

Singxer, Schiit, Gustard, Yellowtec are names that come to mind, but there are really many that suits all types of budget.

I would suggest using Google to see the various option and maybe put a WTB post up on SNA. Used prices are much better than new.

(And then beware of going down the cable hole :) )

A Gustard U12 is a good match for it, but I'm not sure how much you want to budget on it. They're about $220 new so see if you can find one second hand if your budget doesn't extend that far, and I don't know if they make them any more as Gustard have been going more upmarket.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/gustard-u12-32bit-384khz-usb-xmos-dsd-digital-audio-interface-b

I'm using a M2tech hiface 2. There was one for sale on here maybe yesterday? 

For my little cheap dac it sounds better than direct via USB. 

Thanks for the replies all. I'd like to try an Audiophilleo but none for sale at the moment. The topping d10 and Gustard look interesting. I also have the Audio Alchemy DTI pro32 which I imagine would improve the signal if fed from a lesser device.

4 hours ago, legselevens said:

Thanks for the replies all. I'd like to try an Audiophilleo but none for sale at the moment. The topping d10 and Gustard look interesting. I also have the Audio Alchemy DTI pro32 which I imagine would improve the signal if fed from a lesser device.

Hi Legs, it's been a while, hope you have been well! I'm using a topping D10sat the moment. I have it next to an Allo USB signature streamer, both going into an RME ADI2 DAC. It seems to be very very good - just playing straight from a cheap laptop through the D10s is really close to the Allo

Hey thanks for that. I'm keeping well. I've been looking into the Topping unit and it was a nose closer than the Gustard in my short googling efforts so far. Having heard your system in the past and the quality gear that passes under your nose that's a tick for the Topping.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a Mutec MC-3 + USB for my main system.  Exxy but I was after more inputs than any other solution offered. 

My TDA1540D downstairs just has a single coax input so I use a RCA selector for additional inputs, and for USB use one of these cheapies:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPgCeRV

It works well. Sure there's better out there but it's only my second system.