Tube preamp technician.

6 hours ago, Gryffles said:

If it is the mains not output then worst case you could get Tortech to wind one for you if Tron give you the specs. Ask Elson to install and test

I'd love to.... Could Tortech copy the transformer from the original?

• Like 1

On 06/09/2020 at 10:54 PM, mwhouston said:

Specs? 

Hi Mark,

The designer has offered to have a transformer made for the unit if I send it to the U.K. He has said he would need the unit infront of him to find out which transformer will be needed and will then fit it. Now that is fine and not bad support for a 20yr old preamp except I'm looking at around $500 in postage costs plus the cost of the transformer and fitting.  

I haven't actually asked for the specs and I get he would want to protect his brand and do the work himself. I am close to being able to afford to buy a Seven linestage but this would mean the Comet would be sitting around broken as i can't afford both.

How many different specs could there be for a preamp like this?

My other option is to wait till I go back to the U.K. for a holiday and take it with me but that may be some time from now........

I bought one of your preamps the other week and I'm enjoying it alot. I do however miss the Comet and to quote Graham when I enquired about this unit he said " my preamps have come on along way since then"

On 09/09/2020 at 10:11 PM, muon* said:

Tortech could just look at the winding (number of turns for each ect') to determine the needed specs, and wind one the same.

Thanks for the advice. I think I have had a little win this evening as my new found tech has measured a few things and said he can fit two transformers in to replace the broken one and this should fix the issue. Hopefully I will get it back in a week or so?

More to report soon I hope.......

• Like 2

Evening all. 

After receiving an e-mail from Graham Trickler from Tron explaining that he would need the pre sent to him in the U.K to be fixed I asked him for a ball park figure for the cost, but sadly he didn't reply. 

By my reckoning I was up for about 1K Including postage which to be honest made the unit for me beyond economical repair as it owed me about $1700 after postage from the U.S.

After speaking to Elson Dasilva my tech he was horrified to hear about my potential outlay.

Elson contacted me and said he could fit a couple of new transformers  so I gave him the thumbs up and to proceed.

I picked up the amp on Monday and took my box of tubes over for him to have a look at.        Elson was really helpful in explaining which tubes would work with this pre based upon measurements not pin configuration. Some of my tubes he advised me not to use due to the voltage they draw, and some based on provenance.

Elson also talked me through the make up of my pre naming the potentiometer, input selector, silver Teflon wire, solid silver rca's and other parts including the chassis and laser etched lid. He definately knew his stuff and had researched a fair bit on this pre,h e smiled as he asked if I knew how much it cost 20 years ago....... Actually I think there was a laugh!

So I've only had a chance for a quick listen and the 12au7 he gave me sounded quite good.                                    So for the price that was cheaper than the postage the Meteor is up and running beautifully she has a clean bill of health and will be good for another 20 years.

So..... It looks like I'm in the market for a special pair of 2au7 tubes to furnish this project off.

Thanks Elson for your lovely work and it was a pleasure to meet you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrRogers said:

Elson’s work speaks for itself. 

Whilst my problem has been fixed by Elson it won't be the last time he will be seeing me.

He was a very interesting man who's information parted was based on factual measurements.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TOPSHELF said:

Whilst my problem has been fixed by Elson it won't be the last time he will be seeing me.

He was a very interesting man who's information parted was based on factual measurements.

Good to see Elson back on the bench after a breif haitus..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pulinap said:

Good to see Elson back on the bench after a breif haitus..

I was very aware that Elson is in his finer years and made sure I wore a mask and cleaned the pre down before delivery, he was very welcoming and was happy for me to sit and look whilst he first diagnosed the issue. When i picked it up it was on his bench with the lid off and connected to his scopes showing perfect sine waves for channel balance? ( not sure that's the terminology?)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrRogers said:

Have you listened to a Signature Cymer KT120 dual mono?

No, but last time when I spoke to Elson, he was under the impression that he cannot get it to sound like 13e1...of course each to their own.

They are completely different valves.

The Southern Star that uses the 13E1 and the one that uses the KT-120 are very different amps, although they use the same chassis.

The 13E1 is single ended, uses one output valve and is rated at 35 watts a channel.

The KT-120 amp is push pull, two output valves and is rated at 150 watts a channel.

Both are great amps but it's really a case of horses for courses. How efficient are your speakers and what sort of speaker load does the amp see?

Herby

• Like 1

Elson has offered to loan me one of his amplifier creations and I may take him up on it once work calms down.

I've managed to grab a few hours listening after the refurb and I am really happy, the background is much quieter as i do/did suffer from an annoying buzz at higher volumes. This is coming in from a transformer out on the street.

Now It's silent at normal levels and barely audible when louder. What I can also hear is much, much better than before. Greater clarity, scale and depth to my music.

I've also invested in a nice pair of 12au7's from a fellow member on here and they are due to arrive tomorrow so there is more fun to come.

To be fair the pair Elson threw in with the service are very nice indeed.

What the audio world will do when treasures like Elson no longer work doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just wanted to update this thread. The pre is working beautifully and after purchasing a pair of PHILCO/LANSDALE, USA black plate CBRZ 6189/12AU7WA c1956 from a member here I must admit I am really impressed by how this set up sounds. I've never heard of these tubes or heard anything like them. Fast, detailed with amazing bass and seperation. I'm looking forward to inviting Elson over for a listen when time permits.

• Like 2

Yes, he tells it how he sees it. Not that I wanted him to but he refuses to change someone else's designs. 

He talked candidly about his life in South Africa and his time in the USA, I could have sat with him for hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1