Best DAC to revive digital listening

4 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

The issue isn’t your dac it’s the competition.
I’m surprised no one has suggested this already, but the best way to revive your digital listening is simply to sell your turntable ........

?

I did that and stopped listening to music, and it was a full year later until I started again even though I had a fairly nice sounding stock Marantz to use. Wasn't till after doing player upgrades that I started listening again.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, muon* said:

I did that and stopped listening to music, and it was a full year later until I started again even though I had a fairly nice sounding stock Marantz to use. Wasn't till after doing player upgrades that I started listening again.

Things really do need to be at a certain level for you to enjoy it.... Matching vinyl for enjoyment can be a difficult thing 

• Like 3

On 20/08/2020 at 10:17 AM, evil c said:

I technically do have a lot of music files on the computer,  but after a few issues with accessing them via the Node 2i I solely access all my files via a portable HD plugged in. 

I probably should have mentioned it.

I have a direct Ethernet cable now running from the computer to my router in the lounge so shouldn't be any issues.

He's another I fear with big spender tastes, but yes a wealth of experience!

I also have many music files on laptop but rarely use it, opting for the convenience of my iPad Pro. However since getting a Node, I’m using it mainly for a music server. it was an easy connection to access all the files. Simply put all the music you want access to in the same folder (I don’t think it matters if there are sub folders) and input the file location to your Node. I was surprised at how easy it was. I was expecting technical issues but it went smoothly. If you want to add to your collection, you just have to put the files in the shared folder and reindexbvia Node.

I don’t have a high end system and have the original Node, but am very happy withy setup. I’m using the DAC on my Pathos which is good, but would imagine getting better results with a better DAC.

Not sure where OP is at regarding his pursuit of digital streaming Nirvana. Keep you setup simple - KISS - gives you less hassles if you're less technical incline with computer tech. If you can afford a good sounding end streamer all in one unit, go for it. I have not heard many good sound streamer in my travels. Probably the best I have heard is the dCS Bartok but that's way out of budget for most. Others have mentioned Auralic Aries G1 , which is closer to your budget.

You have mentioned you do like you "analogue" sound. Also mentioned in this thread and more inline with your budget is the Denafrips family of R2R DAC. I've heard the Terminator  side by side to my 10k chip DAC. If I have to do over my digital setup again, the Terminator will be my pick and if money is not an issue the Bartok it is. @georgehifi will attest to this (with regards to R2R DAC for having an analogue sound). 

If possible use your existing streamer/PC/Laptop USB out to a DAC of your desire. Try not to over complicate things. Good luck and have fun Clive. Post Covid, you can showcase your new digital setup and I will bring a bottle (or two) of red. :hiccup

Have a peruse over couple of Utube links:

• Like 3

Best DAC to revive your jaded ears down there in Syndal has to be the Darko recommend.

https://darko.audio/2015/11/the-select-dac-ii-msb-technologys-90000-da-converter/

As the tall fella says: Before we get down to brass tacks, brace thyself: the Select DAC II is the highest of the high-end D/A converters – a zero compromise solution – and sells for upwards of US$89,900.

Pocket change in Glen Waverley surely.?

But seriously, what's wrong with one of the local made DACS?

• Haha 1

And if you consider Bartok, then you should consider the Bartok’s nemesis... According to Mr Darko and a Murican guy at least.

If you stick to your pre-determined price, then I think the Terminator is hard to beat at its price point.  For a little more, the Sonnet Morpheus is a slight step up.  But the Mola Mola is the whole enchilada and if you truly wish to “revive digital listening”.... well, Tambaqui is where it’s at.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Luc said:

Best DAC to revive your jaded ears down there in Syndal has to be the Darko recommend.

https://darko.audio/2015/11/the-select-dac-ii-msb-technologys-90000-da-converter/

As the tall fella says: Before we get down to brass tacks, brace thyself: the Select DAC II is the highest of the high-end D/A converters – a zero compromise solution – and sells for upwards of US$89,900.

Xactly...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Luc said:

End game for sure , certainly end of the game for me!!,?

Nothing wrong with them.

Lot of fans of the Geiseler brand / Grob etc.

22 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

And if you consider Bartok, then you should consider the Bartok’s nemesis... According to Mr Darko and a Murican guy at least.

If you stick to your pre-determined price, then I think the Terminator is hard to beat at its price point.  For a little more, the Sonnet Morpheus is a slight step up.  But the Mola Mola is the whole enchilada and if you truly wish to “revive digital listening”.... well, Tambaqui is where it’s at.

I'll check them out later, Wood fired Pizza on the menu! ?

• Like 2

8 pages.

Decision time approaches surely. What have you narrowed it down to?

*Hickory fired chook consumed between posts. Pizza on a Sunday eve? Barbarian!??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luc said:

8 pages.

Decision time approaches surely. What have you narrowed it down to?

*Hickory fired chook consumed between posts. Pizza on a Sunday eve? Barbarian!??

Not my fault everyone keeps on spruiking the Best of all time DAC!

Lot for me to digest. 

@djb would have pushed it to 10 pages just waffling on about his tram trips etc. before we got onto the nitty gritty! ?

It's Sunday night??? ?

20200823_193737.thumb.jpg.b47325e8990024829129ef90b047edba.jpg

20200823_193913.thumb.jpg.cd3d1bee046941b787ff4c67c4a11e44.jpg

Edited by evil c
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

every link in that digital chain counts..

Absolutely!!  A weak link degrades the valve of every other link in the chain regardless of their respective quality.   It is no different to the little that  I understand about the set up and the contribution of the components with vinyl.  Each domain has its intricacies to achieve the best or desired outcome  In fact everything in the chain matters from the the start to the absolute end. 

John

• Like 5

Just now, Assisi said:

Absolutely!!  A weak link degrades the valve of every other link in the chain regardless of their respective quality.   It is no different to the little that  I understand about the set up and the contribution of the components with vinyl.  Each domain has its intricacies to achieve the best or desired outcome  In fact everything in the chain matters from the the start to the absolute end. 

John

And why I have reservations about having so many links in the chain digital wise, as many can have several.

I am beginning to gravitate toward a simpler solution,  with less inherent weaknesses- without the compromises in build quality often made to cut costs! ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, evil c said:

And why I have reservations about having so many links in the chain digital wise, as many can have several.

I am beginning to gravitate toward a simpler solution,  with less inherent weaknesses- without the compromises in build quality often made to cut costs! ?

Good luck with that ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, evil c said:

Lot for me to digest. 

One step at a time.  Appreciate the Lumin for awhile and then contemplate the next step.  Softly softly catches the monkey. Treat as just just work in progress.

John

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, evil c said:

I am beginning to gravitate toward a simpler solution,  with less inherent weaknesses- without the compromises in build quality often made to cut costs!

I understand the desire for simplicity.  A numbers of SNA members have gone down that path.   @Snoopy8 for example.  As you can see from my profile for the time being I have gone the path complexity.  So many boxes and cables etc.  However I consider that I have achieved a wonderful musical outcome that would not have happened with simplicity.  It is all about one step at a time and learning about what works with what.  To me it is fun

John

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, evil c said:

Soooo..... The Abbas then. ;)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Soooo..... The Abbas then.

Unfortunately Clive is living in a reasonable degree lifestyle restrictions.   It would be good if he could trial some DACs with his yet to arrive Lumin.  Until that happens I consider that he should just contemplate life and experience the benefit of the the Lumin.

John

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, evil c said:

Waiter, I'll have an msb select with all the frills... and dont cut any corners!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Assisi said:

Unfortunately Clive is living in a reasonable degree lifestyle restrictions.   It would be good if he could trial some DACs with his yet to arrive Lumin.  Until that happens I consider that he should just contemplate life and experience the benefit of the the Lumin.

John

People could still send different brands for me to trial! ?

15 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Soooo..... The Abbas then. ;)

Abba were overated! ?

In all seriousness - there is a lot to admire with basically a no frills DAC, that offers some premium options in a nutshell.

Just now, frednork said:

Waiter, I'll have an msb select with all the frills... and dont cut any corners!!!

Crowd funding perhaps? ?

11 minutes ago, evil c said:

Crowd funding perhaps?

facebook fundraiser...

"I am denied music ... the one joy in life with a system that just spits forth 1's and 0s that are meaningless and leaves me cold....

....help me ...evolve to a better system that takes my musical pleasure to another level !  "

am sure folks will sign  up to the experiment :D 

with the promise you will put the  dac on rotation to pleasure them all :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1