Best DAC to revive digital listening

1 minute ago, evil c said:

With the post the way it is- hopefully this coming  week. ?

Tell me about it. I’ve had records from Japan land in Melbourne, go to Sydney and the come back to Melbourne again. Any luck with the DAC?

1 hour ago, Jeffo Gee said:

I had my Oppo 105 modded to replace past the Sabre DAC’s with transformers, once I heard it I boxed up and sold my Giesler Gross3 Kraftwerk PSU without listening to it again. Since then I’ve added a Audiolab 6000 CDT. All I can say is it makes me put my phone down and just listen with a BIG smile ? 

Could you expand on the 105 mod  please?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Tell me about it. I’ve had records from Japan land in Melbourne, go to Sydney and the come back to Melbourne again. Any luck with the DAC?

Just going to judge the performance of the Lumin with my Qutest, then take it from there.

Many have mentioned source as being crucial in the chain, so I'll just keep on investigating DACs on a casual (read non committal) basis. ?

I do like the look of the Aqua, Schiit Yggdrasil, MSB, Berkeley, Denafrips Pontus,  Holo Kistsune, Abbas Audio,( @MattyW  has been kind enough to fill me in) sure I've missed a couple! ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, evil c said:

Just going to judge the performance of the Lumin with my Qutest, then take it from there.

Many have mentioned source as being crucial in the chain, so I'll just keep on investigating DACs on a casual (read non committal) basis. ?

I do like the look of the Aqua, Schiit Yggdrasil, MSB, Berkeley, Denafrips Pontus,  Holo Kistsune, Abbas Audio,( @MattyW  has been kind enough to fill me in) sure I've missed a couple! ?

I’ve used a Chord Hugo in the past and really disliked the clinical sound. Adding the iFi SPDIF Purifier toned that sound down and made it more musical and slightly warmer, took the edge off pretty much. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, evil c said:

definitely a good step by step approach...

in my mind (yes only in my mind) while source as in streamer will be important.... it will be the dac step that I reckon that could be a revelation ! and most impacting part of equation :D  when people talk source its both am pretty sure not just the bit feeding the digital signal :) till its analog its still not a source for your pre amp to deal with ? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, betty boop said:

definitely a good step by step approach...

in my mind (yes only in my mind) while source as in streamer will be important.... it will be the dac step that I reckon that could be a revelation ! and most impacting part of equation :D  when people talk source its both am pretty sure not just the bit feeding the digital signal :) till its analog its still not a source for your pre amp to deal with ? 

It's a minefield out there in digital land al! ?

Yes I know a pinhead on the whole concept- I just don't want to further overload my already addled brain! 

I was more referring to the notion many have that it's merely 1s and 0s and no difference. 

Now it's all about clean PSU and Ethernet, and i2s etc.

Maybe I should just buy the Ayon CD5 -S and be done with it ! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, evil c said:

Now there is a great  idea. 

Elegant,simple and simply superb 

• Like 2

AMR  DP777 SE Clive. It beat the Ayon CD5s you heard at my place by a considerable margin . In your price range second hand. It is of course also a valve preamp and I know how much you love the CJ. As far as I know it can be used as just a DAC. 

The only negative is the level of gain it offers it offers, far less than the Ayon in full preamp mode. I would check with Darren 69 about his Ayon DAC that he loves.

Get your bloody hands off my Ayon! Just doing the sums right now! You are an Evil C!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@evil c

What is that you want the most improvement that the Chord Qutest doesn't do well?

I've got the RME ADI DAC V2 and I'm lovin' it ATM. It's similar to the price range of the Chord but with more features. 

Edited by Sansui77

Greetings Evil.

With further investigation my best guess is the preamp output of the AMR is basically passive. It can definitely be used as a stand alone DAC and run into a preamp, namely the mighty CJ. Have a peak at the users manual online. This may well tick all your boxes. Drop AMR a line for full details.

In @Tony M ‘s system this thing sings via Avant Garde Duo’ s and the mighty Gales. It happens to be plugged into a Bryston 14 B SST2 and we all know the cubed series sounds considerably better.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westsurf said:

Could you expand on the 105 mod  please?

The entire Op amp output of the Oppo 105 is by passed with the Sabre DAC’s feeding directly into a pair of super quality step up transformers. So it retains all the wonderful functionality of a 105 eg plays about any disc format, however the 2 ch performance goes to another level. I believe the transformers preserves the time domain spatial information and acoustics of the recording. Adding a Audiolab 6000 CDT then lifts red book well beyond SACD,DVD-A of a standard Oppo transport, quite astonishing. My system is John Farlow era Exposure 19/4DR to Shahinian Obelisk with T-Zero subs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

AMR  DP777 SE Clive. It beat the Ayon CD5s you heard at my place by a considerable margin . In your price range second hand. It is of course also a valve preamp and I know how much you love the CJ. As far as I know it can be used as just a DAC. 

The only negative is the level of gain it offers it offers, far less than the Ayon in full preamp mode. I would check with Darren 69 about his Ayon DAC that he loves.

Get your bloody hands off my Ayon! Just doing the sums right now! You are an Evil C!

Great another name to add to a long list! 

Your name did pop into my head as I typed the word Ayon, it was the one thing I remember most vividly from visiting your place recently! ?

36 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

The issue isn’t your dac it’s the competition.
I’m surprised no one has suggested this already, but the best way to revive your digital listening is simply to sell your turntable ........

?

I could, but harder to forget what I heard! ?

9 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

@evil c

What is that you want the most improvement that the Chord Qutest doesn't do well?

I've got the RME ADI DAC V2 and I'm lovin' it ATM. It's similar to the price range of the Chord but with more features. 

Expanding on what I mentioned earlier in the thread which is : a more analog warm sound and layers in the imaging plus effortless dynamics like I'm currently enjoying with my TT.

However it has taken a long time and a lot gear and carts etc. to get to this level , so I probably need to be realistic about the level I can achieve for less total money spent on digital vs. my Analog source.

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Yes I know a pinhead on the whole concept- I just don't want to further overload my already addled brain! 

I was more referring to the notion many have that it's merely 1s and 0s and no difference. 

Now it's all about clean PSU and Ethernet, and i2s etc.

yeah why i still run disc players in both my systems. simple yet deliver goods. digital streaming i do run too. but seems to require so much more with all sorts...

I truly expect someone to bring out the Digital-Defribulator (copyright betty boop enterprises) :D ... not only revives that digital sound but brings it back to life.... from the dead :D 

is your enthusiasm for digital drooping .... sigh no more... let the Digital-Defribulator bring your digital music back to life :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, evil c said:

Expanding on what I mentioned earlier in the thread which is : a more analog warm sound and layers in the imaging plus effortless dynamics like I'm currently enjoying with my TT.

Have a listen to Al's modified Kora Hermes DAC, might be just what you are looking for.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Telecine said:

Have a listen to Al's modified Kora Hermes DAC, might be just what you are looking for.

he has heard it ...but he's not having it :D 

its had too much spent on in bringing back from the dead in anywise.... unlikely to ever recoup in resale :) 

ps a better usb cable incase looking for something ...its one of darren's cast offs so no doubt be an outright bargain ! :)  every link in that digital chain counts..... ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Good suggestion! ?

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

its had too much spent on in bringing back from the dead in anywise.... unlikely to ever recoup in resale :) 

ps a better usb cable incase looking for something ...its one of darren's cast offs so no doubt be an outright bargain ! :)  every link in that digital chain counts..... ? 

You could just loan it to me, whether you'll get it back is another matter! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, evil c said:

I do like the look of the Aqua, Schiit Yggdrasil, MSB, Berkeley, Denafrips Pontus,  Holo Kistsune, Abbas Audio,@MattyW  has been kind enough to fill me in) sure I've missed a couple! ?

So narrowed down to one of each then?!? :) 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Thank you my friend, managed to rip him off  get in touch with the lad, he's going to have a play with it, a good pick up and an excellent bang for buck cable. Poor thing was somewhat smashed by the Wireworld Platinum Starlight. :D Great cable though, a step up from a good quality standard USB which in themselves are fine if you aren't into diminishing returns.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, evil c said:

I scored the U1 Mini sure, but not the external PSU  that came up for sale later same day!

Gotta be a trigger finger around here nowadays- Russ, I made the mistake of thinking about it rationally before committing ! ?

The Keces are excellent, touch base with Purasound, They are all I use, dont tell them I sent you, they'll add 10%.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Clive my 2c-

Over your budget but get one of these, pay for it once and be happy forever more-

https://www.ayonaudio.com/products/network-playertransport/s-10-ii/ 

Talk to Michael or Boris at Absolute High End. Stump up for the analogue pre section and it will replace your pre amp as well and replace it with style. It will be pre, dac and streamer with every bell and whistle going and get those mutha Hulgichs singing. So selling off dac and pre can help with the monetary pain. Maybe some cables as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Clive my 2c-

Over your budget but get one of these, pay for it once and be happy forever more-

https://www.ayonaudio.com/products/network-playertransport/s-10-ii/ 

Talk to Michael or Boris at Absolute High End. Stump up for the analogue pre section and it will replace your pre amp as well and replace it with style. It will be pre, dac and streamer with every bell and whistle going and get those mutha Hulgichs singing. So selling off dac and pre can help with the monetary pain. Maybe some cables as well.

Hmmmmmmmmm , if someone out there had one and was willing to sell - dunno if I could resist! ?

• Like 1