FOUND: best bookshelf / stand mount speakers under $8,000

o2so

FOUND

Item: bookshelf speakers
Price Range: up to 8,000
Item Condition: Used or floor stock
Extra Info:

Looking for high end bookshelf speakers or stand mount for small to medium room (listening distance around 2m).  Not new. No B&W d3. 

Edited by o2so
FOUND

On 16/08/2020 at 2:06 PM, o2so said:

Item: bookshelf speakers
Price Range: up to 8,000
Item Condition: Used or floor stock
Extra Info:

Looking for high end bookshelf speakers or stand mount for small to medium room (listening distance around 2m).  Not new. No B&W d3. 

Hi o2so

Have you considered Fyne audio? 
https://shop.heynowhifi.com.au/collections/fyne-audio/products/fyne-audio-f700-bookshelf-speakers-pair

regards 

Geoff 

Just now, o2so said:

havent heard of it yet. Not much online either. Any thoughts?

Fyne is a Scottish speaker brand - made in Scotland (at this level) 

Derivative of Tannoy - using a point source - Time aligned driver technology - very similar to a dual concentric system, but updated. 
The speakers sound natural, musical with great depth and natural controlled bass. 
Please do some further research you may find they are what your looking for. 
regards 

Geoff 

Süsskind PULS.

They are made by Joachim Gerhard, well known previous owner and mastermind of Audio Physic and quite efficient with 95 dB. They come with the dedicated stands made by Bfly Audio. 

I have used them with my Ongaku for 4 years now and I really like them. They put out a very substantial bass and very smooth trebles without missing anything in the frequency range. Imaging is off course outstanding as you would expect from this sort of speaker.

They come from a reasonably famous record producer in Germany who not surprisingly used them for mixing and They are like new with original packing.

i think about selling them because I just got some quite iconic JBL speakers and want to try them for a while although I know already that  the Puls are actually better in my room and I will probably regret selling them

i have the original boxes, shipping no problem.

yours for 6000 AUD

211FAC92-8D33-42B3-BEA6-CD4BDC228FB4.jpeg

6C631B6C-A640-4535-BF63-8FD9D583589E.jpeg

891C77E6-E0C7-48B8-A4F8-3EBDCE03291A.jpeg

1CF8D71F-827A-47AF-B0C7-5C824585FDB9.jpeg

31005F86-247D-49F9-84B5-934693599F5A.jpeg

• Love 1

I could not make up my mind between the Revel M126be (RRP: 7,500) and the new JBL L82 Classic (RRP: 5,000). Very different options, the former favoring transparency, the latter favoring speed and dynamics. I would have usually gone for the Revels, but having just owned the smaller sisters (Revel M106), I decided to go for a change of flavour and ordered the JBL.  

9 hours ago, twofires said:

@o2so Very interested to hear your thoughts on the L82s when you get them - be sure to post your impressions!

arrived today. Forst impression is obviously excellent, very lively but without losing the detail. The only problem is that the walnut veneer does not match the rest of the furniture!

IMG_20200824_203607.jpg

• Like 4

Very neat setup! 

If you find the time after a few weeks of listening, it might be worthwhile writing something up over in the Speakers section - there's very little info out there other than Steve Huff praising them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twofires said:

Very neat setup! 

If you find the time after a few weeks of listening, it might be worthwhile writing something up over in the Speakers section - there's very little info out there other than Steve Huff praising them. 

Will do. A review from WhatHifi has just come out which gives these 4/5 stars, with one star missing allegedly due to not excelling in the "finesse" department (if thats a thing).  I am now well into my second hour of critical listening and I am prone to think it is a load of rubbish (IMHO). I went through all my test tracks checking for the faintest detail, and it is all there, and nicely nuanced. The thing that so far strikes me the most if how well they sound in my crapp-ish room, right out of the box. I usually run DIRAC pretty heavily to compensate for the room deficiencies, but I dont think I will need to fix much on these JBL. There is also a nice set of measurements in a post on Audio Science Reviews which confirms my subjective impression, i.e. an almost perfect predicted in room response. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-l82-classic-spinorama-and-measurements.15466/

Edited by o2so
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, o2so said:

Will do. A review from WhatHifi has just come out which gives these 4/5 stars, with one star missing allegedly due to not excelling in the "finesse" department (if thats a thing).  I am now well into my second hour of critical listening and I am prone to think it is a load of rubbish (IMHO). I went through all my test tracks checking for the faintest detail, and it is all there, and nicely nuanced. The thing that so far strikes me the most if how well they sound in my crapp-ish room, right out of the box. I usually run DIRAC pretty heavily to compensate for the room deficiencies, but I dont think I will need to fix much on these JBL. There is also a nice set of measurements in a post on Audio Science Reviews which confirms my subjective impression, i.e. an almost perfect predicted in room response. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-l82-classic-spinorama-and-measurements.15466/

Yeah, for me What Hifi reviews read like they were written by a cliché chaining algorithm - not only am I unsure the reviewer has ever seen the products they're talking about, I'm not sure the reviewer actually exists. It infuriates me because they are often at the top of search results and can make or break a product (see Technics SB-C700 for an example of a decent speaker they trashed for absolutely no reason, potentially killing off a whole speaker department). /rant

Ah, measurements! Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. Interesting reading on the inside vs outside tweeter placement, too. I'm personally glad they mirrored them. I'm a fan of the looks of the L100 Classics without the grilles, but the lack of visual symmetry would drive me nuts (although I understand their explanation that the crossover frequency was low enough that it didn't matter aurally).

(it's funny, when I saw Topping, miniDSP and March Audio in your sig my first thought was 'definitely reads ASR' ?)

Reading your comments on the ASR thread it seems we're after similar things - speakers that aren't too fussy, work in a small room, no overpowering bass, but not a dearth of it, okay at low volumes so as not to wake a toddler. I'll definitely have to give these a listen at a store when that sort of thing is possible in Victoria again.

• Like 1

It's the same with What HiFi UK giving the Revel M126Be 4/5, so it wouldn't have mattered which ones you went for, you'd "only" get 4 stars lol. Worth noting of course every other review I've seen of the M126Be's have been 5/5. Loving my Revel M126Be's, so I hope you get much enjoyment from your JBLs.

Also, not surprising about the ASR measurements, since they both come under the HI umbrella, and likely share some research with each other.