New room sucks.

Hi all,

just moved into our new home and one of the reasons (One of many) for buying the house was the 6m x 6m room at the front for Hi-Fi. 

This room Is twice the size of the room in the last house but it sounds dreadful in my sitting position..  I’m devo...

I’m sitting at the point of an equilateral triangle with the speakers toed in but there is no bass... if I move 1m back there is a lovely warm bass but it’s dry and thin where I have the chair..  I can’t really set it up any other way.] and still achieve WAF.

(we are still moving in so excuse a bit of mess...)

any ideas on what I can do to help my bass problem without re laying the room. I’ve tried the speakers forward and back.. curtains open and closed.. 

help ??

System

sonus faber Liuto

quasimodo amp

project rpm5 carbon tt

2m Blue cartridge

Vincent pho8 phono stage

cambridge audio DAC magic

pioneer stable platter cd player

nakamichi tape deck

24DCC3D3-400A-4CDC-B619-9BBB57B7D2A0.jpeg

• Like 1

Going from a smaller room to a larger one, I would expect the bass level to drop significantly.
Could it just be that you need a sub to move all that extra air?

Edited by Gabehcuod

I had the opposite experience, went from a large lounge/dining/bar irregularly shaped area with deep pile carpet that sounded great, to a smaller and more rectangular space (which I had to partially carpet tile), where I lost bass and had poorer sound. It's annoying.

1 hour ago, JOH1975 said:

I’m sitting at the point of an equilateral triangle with the speakers toed in but there is no bass... if I move 1m back there is a lovely warm bass but it’s dry and thin where I have the chair..  I can’t really set it up any other way.] and still achieve WAF.

What you have described sounds like a bass node where reflected bass sound waves are cancelling each other out.

This is one of the reasons why equilateral rooms are not recommended for audio unfortunately for you.

The fixes for this is either playing with the placement of speakers and seating or treating the room with bass traps.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, JOH1975 said:

’m sitting at the point of an equilateral triangle with the speakers toed in but there is no bass... if I move 1m back there is a lovely warm bass but it’s dry and thin where I have the chair..  I can’t really set it up any other way.] and still achieve WAF.

where are speakers setup in reference to the room (dimensions) and where is main listening position in reference to the room (dimensions)

is it possible can set the speakers so in the top 1/3rd ? and you place main listening position at 2.3rd room depth ? it would get you out of a null likely where at... in and around middle of room ? 

an equilateral is also not necessarily The place either ... for some speakers it better to sitting back from the triangle :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martykt said:

What you have described sounds like a bass node where reflected bass sound waves are cancelling each other out.

This is one of the reasons why equilateral rooms are not recommended for audio unfortunately for you.

The fixes for this is either playing with the placement of speakers and seating or treating the room with bass traps.

Bass traps I could probably do but I thought they were for decreasing bass nor increasing it. 

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, JOH1975 said:

Hi all,

just moved into our new home and one of the reasons (One of many) for buying the house was the 6m x 6m room at the front for Hi-Fi. 

This room Is twice the size of the room in the last house but it sounds dreadful in my sitting position..  I’m devo...

(we are still moving in so excuse a bit of mess...)

any ideas on what I can do to help my bass problem without re laying the room. I’ve tried the speakers forward and back.. curtains open and closed.. 

help ??

System

sonus faber Liuto

quasimodo amp

project rpm5 carbon tt

2m Blue cartridge

Vincent pho8 phono stage

cambridge audio DAC magic

pioneer stable platter cd player

nakamichi tape deck

24DCC3D3-400A-4CDC-B619-9BBB57B7D2A0.jpeg

My understanding is that having a square room is really bad for bass. A friend has a 4x4 room and the only way he can deal with the bass is via eq. 

by the way, how on earth did you take that photo without appearing in the reflection :) 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JOH1975 said:

Bass traps I could probably do but I thought they were for decreasing bass nor increasing it. 

There are definitely plenty of members here who understand room treatments in a lot more depth than me which hopefully can chip in.

My understanding is it depends on their design and placement.

Your aim will be to use them to stop stray bass reflections.

@Marc

4 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

My understanding is that having a square room is really bad for bass. A friend has a 4x4 room and the only way he can deal with the bass is via eq. 

by the way, how on earth did you take that photo without appearing in the reflection :) 

?‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Yes that is what I've been led to believe.

6 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I’m Dracula so no reflection. 

the room does have some irregularity with the shape. Particularly the ceiling and one wall has a bit sticking out.  I actually thought it’d be a good sounding room but alas no ?

FB39745A-7AF3-4E81-B53C-BBD7582E5FA9.jpeg

10A21F36-0870-41BC-A940-DB3ADD715F31.jpeg

F2E7F685-BF2F-46D6-A09D-C7A7E5816FDB.jpeg

• Administrator

You really need to measure the room to see what is happening. 

Hopefully one of our members from Mount Gambier can chime in and offer an afternoon of drinks, music, and measurements.

For the sake of testing - are you able to try two things.

1. Raise the speakers up as high as possible (bar stool perhaps), they don't look overly heavy.

2. Try the speakers across one of the corners, aimed diagonally into the room.

Report back if any noticeable difference in bass response.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Also play something with a steady, relatively forward bass line that's easy to hear (modern RnB).

Get on your knees, and starting from the position you took that photo, edge forward all the way to the speakers and see if there is much change in bass response along the way.

• Administrator

It's only a 6" driver so it's a big ask really for a 6x6m room. You could look at adding a single, quality 12" sub which will probably do the trick in reinforcing the bottom end.

While not known for their dynamics ability, they're rear ported, so you could also push them further back against the wall for a bit more rear loading. 

54 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I have 4*4 and I put four big bass trap into the room and significantly improved the bass issue, so it’s doable not end of the world ?

I had heaps of problems with my room too when I first moved in to my house, however your description seems different to my experience. 

You could try possibly moving the speakers a little further apart closer to the side walls, but still at least 50cm away. And then maybe be slightly back as well towards the window, but again not too close.

Failing that, you could try the 'crawl' test. Many on here would be familiar with this.

That is putting one of your speakers in the exact listening position and running that speaker only with some bass heavy music and then 'crawling' around the room until you find a position with the best bass response.  Then put the speakers there. Obviously it's got to be practical though.

My 2c.