New To Speakers

chupps

Hey all

I'm new to the world of speakers and found this forum. I've stopped having the opportunity to use my headphone setup, so it's time to look into a budget hifi system.

My current plan is to get a second hand receiver off gumtree, and spend maybe a grand on newer speakers. Polks and Q Acoustics seem to be the 'budget' brands in terms of speakers, but I'm not sure how well they fare audio quality wise. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I'm happy to hear them.

Cheers

Chupps

There are plenty of bargains to be had on the forum.  What type of speaker you're after will depend on how you intend to use it, and the same goes for your amplification.

If you're buying a 'receiver' do you mean an AV receiver for home theater?  Or are you more interested in dedicated stereo listening, in which case a good two channel integrated amp is a much better option.  Again plenty of bargains to be found here.

Also, what size is your room?  Large Floor Sanders need some room to 'breathe' whilst smaller compact floor standers or bookshelf speakers on quality stands take up less visible space and can work better in a smaller room as the bass in large florr standers can become boomy and undefined in smaller spaces. 

Then you have to consider the type of music you enjoy listening to.  If you love deep heavy bass lines then a well designed floor tsander will move allot more air, though you can always add a small musical subwoofer (like a rel) to a set of bookshelves and achieve similar base weight.

The final factor is matching the speakers to the amp.  What sounds good together.  It' amazing how different amps bring out different qualities in speakers.  And also, consider how much power you need in the amp.  Some speakers are less efficient and therefore need more power to drive (and this has nothing to do with the speakers physical size), more its design.

I know I've opened a can of worms here, but if you tell me a bit more about what you're trying to achieve by answering your questions above, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction and guide you along the way.

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 1

Thanks @pwstereo - I try to be a skeptical of the big bargains, so it helps to see some positive feedback. System Audio speakers at Rio also seem to be at bargain prices, but I can't find a review to validate their sound. 

Thanks for detailed reply @Craig Taplin

I am looking to set up for dedicated stereo listening. Most of the available amps, on the second hand market, seem to be AV receivers for 5.1 or 7.1 home theater set-ups.  I have basically been looking for the lowest cost that I can get the following specs, from a device that I can find reviews of:
     -THD = <0.5%;
     -SNR = >90
     -per channel wattage = >70W .

I am keen to hear if you have differing advice to that. 

The speakers will be homed in a small room, maybe 3x4m. It's a brick box, so I expect that I will need to be mindful of the bass. I was thinking of getting bookshelves, and adding a sub-woofer later, if the sound allowed for it.  Bookshelves like the Polk S20's, Q Acoustic 3030i's, Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2's, and Klipsch R41-M's are what I have looked at (subject to the availability of the last two). Open to anything with a good 'sound/$' value under a thousand though.

Cheers

Chupps

Hi Chupps,

I'd definitely stay away from the AV AMPS.  Even an older integrated of decent heritage will sound  worlds better than most second hand AV Amps.   Have a good look at Brands like Musical Fidelity, NAD, Cambridge Audio, older ARCAM (especially good) and even some of the Yamaha dedicated Integrated stuff will all be good.  Just keep an eye on the classifieds section and a bargain will pop up.  In terms of power, 70 watts minimum is ideal however a high current, lower wattage british amp (Like MF, Cambridge & ARCAM mentioned above) will be far superior to a high wattage Japanese unit 9 times out of 10!  

In terms of speakers, and given the size of your room, there are a few options to consider that are not on your list (I agree the Q Acoustics are a good value buy):

• Kef Bookshelves are typically great (Q350's new or LSW or Wireless LSX second hand)
  • Smaller B&W's in the 6 series (601/602's for older ones and  607's more recently)
  • ELAC B5.2
  • Dali Spektor's

Speakers are a less risky second hand purchase than Amps.  For a $1,000, the original purchase price can be $2,000+ so you can get amazing value and as long as they are well treated, they should be fine.  Remember if you are buying bookshelves make sure you budget for a decent pair of stands for them that you can fill to deaden the resonance and weight them.  Consider anything Atacama which come up on the forum - great budget stands.  OF then those selling Bookshelves sell them with stands.  

The other option of course is go spend your entire budget on Active Speakers like the Kef's to remove the amplifer equation altogether.  Then you just need a source (DAC/Streamer etc).  Just some food for thought.

Happy for you to bounce ideas as they come up if that helps.

Cheers

Craig

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Craig Taplin said:

Hi Chupps,

I'd definitely stay away from the AV AMPS.  Even an older integrated of decent heritage will sound  worlds better than most second hand AV Amps.   Have a good look at Brands like Musical Fidelity, NAD, Cambridge Audio, older ARCAM (especially good) and even some of the Yamaha dedicated Integrated stuff will all be good. 

Audio advice doesn't get any better than this

1 hour ago, chupps said:

The speakers will be homed in a small room, maybe 3x4m. It's a brick box, so I expect that I will need to be mindful of the bass. I was thinking of getting bookshelves, and adding a sub-woofer later, if the sound allowed for it.  Bookshelves like the Polk S20's, Q Acoustic 3030i's, Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2's, and Klipsch R41-M's are what I have looked at (subject to the availability of the last two). Open to anything with a good 'sound/$' value under a thousand though.

Something like these Concept 20 if considering Q acoustics are far better than the 30xx series.

Easy to find Dynaudio Emit 10s or the older DM 2/6 here well under 1000 as are some other great speakers.

Krix Equinox are also worth considering though these do really benefit from a sub (not essential but worth it)

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the help,

Been on the search following the fantastic advice of @Craig Taplin.

I've seen a nice looking Arcam amp to kick me off, and some great value speakers for sale on the classifieds. I also have some stands available locally. I will keep an eye out for the speakers referenced in your post Craig, but for now would you be able to suggest the best way to look into sound matching?

Amp:

Speakers:

1 hour ago, chupps said:

Thanks everyone for the help,

Been on the search following the fantastic advice of @Craig Taplin.

I've seen a nice looking Arcam amp to kick me off, and some great value speakers for sale on the classifieds. I also have some stands available locally. I will keep an eye out for the speakers referenced in your post Craig, but for now would you be able to suggest the best way to look into sound matching?

Amp:

Speakers:

Hi Chupps,

Watch the arcam amp as its a power amp, not an integrated, so you'd still need to buy a pre amp to drive it which will add to cost.  It was an amazing unit in its day so would be great to own but also missing a binding post.

Also follow up another member about a pair of Spendor 6SE speakers he had for sale.  I Auditioned them (Small Floorstander so fine for your room) and they're in great condition and sound amazing so could be perfect.  May be a little over budget at $1400 but well worth it.  I nearly bought them but got tempted by something double the price from the same seller who is a wonderful guy (George) and massively generous with his knowledge.  I think his handle is @audionerd

Just food for thought.  Things move fast on the site so be ready to pounce when you see something that will work for you.

Cheers,

Craig

on the subject of small floor standers I would also give a serious view to Mordant Short, Royd,  Wharfedale diamond 9.5(surprisingly as they were budget speakers) the older KEF Q series had some 'smaller' floorstanders. Do not always be put off by equipments age. Most hifi gear is well looked after. For example I have recently purchased a pair of KEF Concerto's the last year they made them is 1977. Many of those older speakers (especially English made) are easy to drive with lower power amplifiers and there are usually people on forums who own/did own them and can give you excellent advice before purchasing. (my Concerto's I can buy brand new X-overs and still get new drivers for them).

The reason I am suggesting this is you can often get exceptional 'bang for your buck'  with the older gear and can pick up superior units for the same s/h price of something newer.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Craig Taplin said:

This kind of set up would be amazing though perhaps a bit out of budget.

Expired now of course but these kind of deals are common

Hi there, fyi these KEF LS50s with stands are available atm (but the amp isn’t). Thanks @Craig Taplin for the nod - it’s a great combo ?? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dneco said:

Anyone can chime in with how they compare to the Q Acoustic 3050i and KEF Q550/750?

Personal preferences but in my opinion for overseas speakers you need to pay 20% - 40% extra to match the performance of Focals.  Chorus 716 were $2250 RRP. 

• Like 1