Jump to content

Help needed please | Choosing a multi-channel amp


Recommended Posts

Hi Folks

 

I have a decision to make, and will appreciate inputs and advice on a 5 channel (or more) amp, please.

 

Budget = $4,000

Use Preference = 60% music / 40% movies 

My AVR is a Marantz SR6014

 

Option 1 - Chord SPM 2400, 5 channel power amp (used) - have tested it at home as I was lucky enough to have it loaned. It drove my Sonus Fabers well, and added good depth & stage in the room. Musicality was decent too. My (relatively amateur) thoughts are they are made by a HiFi focussed company who've extended to a HT product and so the HiFi qualities have carried through, creating a nice balance for music and movies. Am told this is a high-end product, that retails in 5 figures (woah!).

 

Option 2 - Been introduced to Elektra. I don't know this product much but I've been told they are great, and musical as well - which is a priority. Fits the budget, brand new; Is Aussie made, which adds a lot of confidence to my purchase decision. I would love to get more feedback.

 

Any thoughts from owners and use experience on these products will help me lots. 

 

I know of other brands out there - Anthem, Emotiva, Parasound etc - but the reason why the above-mentioned products are high on the list is the budget. I am really wanting to work within the $4K mark.

 

Thanks all.

 

Ravin

(New to this, and loving it:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a second hand Crestron 16x60wpc (bridgeable to 8x220wpc) for $400 and it sounds awesome. The actual amps inside are made by ATI which is a respected amp in the U.S.

It is powering my Wharfedale PA speakers and they now sound as good as the Krix demo room I auditioned a few weeks ago.

Usually plenty of them on ebay :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

With 60% music, you should be considering a setup like this:

image.png.7e2fe5d3a3266ffab311357b9a41e69b.png

Get a 2 channel integrated from the Classifieds to drive your mains.  Later, you can then consider a multi channel amp for the HT speakers.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, niterida said:

I just bought a second hand Crestron 16x60wpc (bridgeable to 8x220wpc) for $400 and it sounds awesome. The actual amps inside are made by ATI which is a respected amp in the U.S.

It is powering my Wharfedale PA speakers and they now sound as good as the Krix demo room I auditioned a few weeks ago.

Usually plenty of them on ebay :) 

thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites


20 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

With 60% music, you should be considering a setup like this:

image.png.7e2fe5d3a3266ffab311357b9a41e69b.png

Get a 2 channel integrated from the Classifieds to drive your mains.  Later, you can then consider a multi channel amp for the HT speakers.

Hi Snoopy8 - thanks, love the pic. I had that setup and have separated the mains with a 2ch integrated into a separate room. Hence the search now for a multi channel for the room where the family watches movies.

 

An amp that does music well (good enough) will be the preference 

 

thanks again 

Edited by Ravin
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ravin said:

Hi Snoopy8 - thanks, love the pic. I had that setup and have separated the mains with a 2ch integrated into a separate room. Hence the search now for a multi channel for the room where the family watches movies.

 

An amp that does music well (good enough) will be the preference 

 

thanks again 

You must have a large collection of multi channel music to spend 60% of the time on it.

 

Suggest being patient for a multi channel amp to appear in the Classifieds. They do pop up from time to time.

Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, thezone525 said:

What about 5 of these? They sound incredible for both music and HT, they fit anywhere and 5 of them will only set you back $2k. 

 

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/pa-1

 

Oh and they come with a 5 year warranty. 

 

 

Emotiva’s have made a name for themselves and the mono’s pack quite a punch - thank you for sending the link. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ravin said:

Any Elektra or Chord owners with comments?

Elektra amps are excellent - you'll notice a big improvement over the 6014's internal amps.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


I picked up an Elektra Theatre 7 earlier in the year from a forum member and noticed a huge improvement. Incredible value for money and being made in Australia is a big plus for me. 

 

I pulled it out of my system to sell so I could upgrade to the current HD version but because the trigger stopped working I first need to send to Arthur, which I’m not doing at the moment given I’m in Sydney and he’s in Melb. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wood said:

I picked up an Elektra Theatre 7 earlier in the year from a forum member and noticed a huge improvement. Incredible value for money and being made in Australia is a big plus for me. 

 

I pulled it out of my system to sell so I could upgrade to the current HD version but because the trigger stopped working I first need to send to Arthur, which I’m not doing at the moment given I’m in Sydney and he’s in Melb. 
 

 

Sorry to hear about the trigger problem (hopefully not a trend), and hope you're able to resolve when circumstances allow. I am intrigued by this brand :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

While it will always depend on your specific speakers I have on the pre side;

- Denon 4311 (for HT) and Primare Pre32 (for music with HT bypass)

Running through and older (non-HD) Elektra Theatron

To a set of Paradigm Sigs.

 

This combination is absolutely sublime...... :wub:

 

Wood, don't be shy about couriering your Elektra to Arthur, that's what I did (I'm in Sydney too) and perfect during this Covid period.

I even got him to put it in a new box and packing for the return for a small extra cost as I didn't have the original packaging.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
On 12/08/2020 at 6:57 PM, Ravin said:

Budget = $4,000

Use Preference = 60% music / 40% movies 

My AVR is a Marantz SR6014

Certainly well Worth adding amp in mix :) as have found self :)

 

On 12/08/2020 at 6:57 PM, Ravin said:

Option 2 - Been introduced to Elektra. I don't know this product much but I've been told they are great, and musical as well - which is a priority. Fits the budget, brand new; Is Aussie made, which adds a lot of confidence to my purchase decision. I would love to get more feedback.

Excellent amps, have owned 3 gen of those over many years. Excellent product and excellent local after sales. 
 

I probably look for Electra theatre 7 and later.  Theatrehd if wanting balanced. If not theatrehd I’d factor in a service, just age and Arthur updates the contacts in there to current ones uses in the HD series ...

 

23 hours ago, Wood said:

pulled it out of my system to sell so I could upgrade to the current HD version but because the trigger stopped working I first need to send to Arthur, which I’m not doing at the moment given I’m in Sydney and he’s in Melb. 

Good move to send, though do check make sure trigger working on the marantz or try triggering Elektra off something else. As the triggers on marantz though never happened to me have seen off one go with folks overseas :) good to isolate which gear with the fault if haven’t already :)

Link to post
Share on other sites


42 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

Wood, don't be shy about couriering your Elektra to Arthur, that's what I did (I'm in Sydney too) and perfect during this Covid period.

I even got him to put it in a new box and packing for the return for a small extra cost as I didn't have the original packaging.....


Ah, that’s a great idea. I don’t have original packaging either!

What service did you use?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nevyn72 said:

While it will always depend on your specific speakers I have on the pre side;

- Denon 4311 (for HT) and Primare Pre32 (for music with HT bypass)

Running through and older (non-HD) Elektra Theatron

To a set of Paradigm Sigs.

 

This combination is absolutely sublime...... :wub:

 

Wood, don't be shy about couriering your Elektra to Arthur, that's what I did (I'm in Sydney too) and perfect during this Covid period.

I even got him to put it in a new box and packing for the return for a small extra cost as I didn't have the original packaging.....

Thanks for the feedback. Two pre’s for music and HT running through a single power amp - nice !!! I am so new to this and it’s great learning about the various ways everyone is setting up!

 

my confidence in Elektra is going up by the day - thanks :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Certainly well Worth adding amp in mix :) as have found self :)

 

Excellent amps, have owned 3 gen of those over many years. Excellent product and excellent local after sales. 
 

I probably look for Electra theatre 7 and later.  Theatrehd if wanting balanced. If not theatrehd I’d factor in a service, just age and Arthur updates the contacts in there to current ones uses in the HD series ...

 

Good move to send, though do check make sure trigger working on the marantz or try triggering Elektra off something else. As the triggers on marantz though never happened to me have seen off one go with folks overseas :) good to isolate which gear with the fault if haven’t already :)

Awesome thanks for sharing your experience. The local after sales support and ability to modify seems like a huge plus! 
 

How do I buy an Elektra 7 HD from Sydney!? 
 

That’s the big question now :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never had Elektra amps so cannot say but have heard good things about them. Personally, I am an Anthem Fan including their power amps, can't go wrong with either of Elektra or Anthem.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ravin said:

Awesome thanks for sharing your experience. The local after sales support and ability to modify seems like a huge plus! 
 

How do I buy an Elektra 7 HD from Sydney!? 
 

That’s the big question now :) 

Not sure you have any Elektra dealers in Sydney.

 

Try Carlton AV in Mel, Macleans in Bne or Melbourne HiFi. Typically you should be able to do a deal better than RRP - perhaps 20% off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quark said:

Not sure you have any Elektra dealers in Sydney.

 

Try Carlton AV in Mel, Macleans in Bne or Melbourne HiFi. Typically you should be able to do a deal better than RRP - perhaps 20% off.

Thank you - will call them today :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got informed by Melb HiFi these are made to order with a 2mth lead time. Woah! But a good product cant be rushed I suppose.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
25 minutes ago, Ravin said:

Got informed by Melb HiFi these are made to order with a 2mth lead time. Woah! But a good product cant be rushed I suppose.

my first elektra(some years ago now) i was told 4-6 weeks and bang on 4 weeks i got a call it was there to pick up :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ALL for your help with the options. I was informed that the Elektra had a massive lead time (a bit uncertain), so now my options are:

 

- wait for a long time

- wait a couple of weeks for the Chord, or

- new idea - a Parasound A52+

 

As always, thoughts and advice welcome ....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really wish we had more options for amps in Australia. I quite like the look of the OSD Black amplifiers. Then there are the Monolith amps as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
On 19/08/2020 at 6:00 PM, Ravin said:

Thanks ALL for your help with the options. I was informed that the Elektra had a massive lead time (a bit uncertain), so now my options are:

 

- wait for a long time

the wait is worth it ... and goes quicker than what think... this threads already been going for 2 weeks 😛 

 

On 19/08/2020 at 6:00 PM, Ravin said:

new idea - a Parasound A52+

just costs more in my experience .... a under $3k amp in usd becomes $7k amp here .... why pay so much ....somethign like the elektra can mix it with likes of Bryson and parasound and like it just costs cheaper here because its local. would cost as much as these imported amps ... if you tried to buy the elektra over seas ! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

A member on this forum has an ARCAM AVR850 which would so an amzing job for you at around your price point and will handle two channel music better than any other AV amp on the market int hat price range.  It is nearly $9,000 RRP but secondhand you'll get one close to your budget.   Have a chat to OverJP.  https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/profile/143992-overjp/

Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for Elektra. I have a 3 channel with my marantz 7013 and krix megaphonix 7.1.4 setup. Absolutely brilliant combo.

 

I'm also an Elektra dealer if you want a ripper price just PM me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After much research on single box AVR options, I will be joining the Elektra Club :) . To be paired with my Aventage 1050 for now, and a pre pro or something better in the future!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, paulie83 said:

After much research on single box AVR options, I will be joining the Elektra Club :) . To be paired with my Aventage 1050 for now, and a pre pro or something better in the future!

Congrats. What are you getting?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...