Help needed please | Choosing a multi-channel amp

Hi Folks

I have a decision to make, and will appreciate inputs and advice on a 5 channel (or more) amp, please.

Budget = $4,000

Use Preference = 60% music / 40% movies 

My AVR is a Marantz SR6014

Option 1 - Chord SPM 2400, 5 channel power amp (used) - have tested it at home as I was lucky enough to have it loaned. It drove my Sonus Fabers well, and added good depth & stage in the room. Musicality was decent too. My (relatively amateur) thoughts are they are made by a HiFi focussed company who've extended to a HT product and so the HiFi qualities have carried through, creating a nice balance for music and movies. Am told this is a high-end product, that retails in 5 figures (woah!).

Option 2 - Been introduced to Elektra. I don't know this product much but I've been told they are great, and musical as well - which is a priority. Fits the budget, brand new; Is Aussie made, which adds a lot of confidence to my purchase decision. I would love to get more feedback.

Any thoughts from owners and use experience on these products will help me lots. 

I know of other brands out there - Anthem, Emotiva, Parasound etc - but the reason why the above-mentioned products are high on the list is the budget. I am really wanting to work within the $4K mark.

Thanks all.

Ravin

(New to this, and loving it:)

Guest niterida

I just bought a second hand Crestron 16x60wpc (bridgeable to 8x220wpc) for $400 and it sounds awesome. The actual amps inside are made by ATI which is a respected amp in the U.S.

It is powering my Wharfedale PA speakers and they now sound as good as the Krix demo room I auditioned a few weeks ago.

Usually plenty of them on ebay :)

With 60% music, you should be considering a setup like this:

image.png.7e2fe5d3a3266ffab311357b9a41e69b.png

Get a 2 channel integrated from the Classifieds to drive your mains.  Later, you can then consider a multi channel amp for the HT speakers.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, niterida said:

I just bought a second hand Crestron 16x60wpc (bridgeable to 8x220wpc) for $400 and it sounds awesome. The actual amps inside are made by ATI which is a respected amp in the U.S.

It is powering my Wharfedale PA speakers and they now sound as good as the Krix demo room I auditioned a few weeks ago.

Usually plenty of them on ebay :) 

thanks 

20 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

With 60% music, you should be considering a setup like this:

image.png.7e2fe5d3a3266ffab311357b9a41e69b.png

Get a 2 channel integrated from the Classifieds to drive your mains.  Later, you can then consider a multi channel amp for the HT speakers.

Hi Snoopy8 - thanks, love the pic. I had that setup and have separated the mains with a 2ch integrated into a separate room. Hence the search now for a multi channel for the room where the family watches movies.

An amp that does music well (good enough) will be the preference 

thanks again 

Edited by Ravin

8 minutes ago, Ravin said:

Hi Snoopy8 - thanks, love the pic. I had that setup and have separated the mains with a 2ch integrated into a separate room. Hence the search now for a multi channel for the room where the family watches movies.

An amp that does music well (good enough) will be the preference 

thanks again 

You must have a large collection of multi channel music to spend 60% of the time on it.

Suggest being patient for a multi channel amp to appear in the Classifieds. They do pop up from time to time.

1 hour ago, thezone525 said:

What about 5 of these? They sound incredible for both music and HT, they fit anywhere and 5 of them will only set you back $2k. 

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/pa-1

Oh and they come with a 5 year warranty. 

Emotiva’s have made a name for themselves and the mono’s pack quite a punch - thank you for sending the link. 

I picked up an Elektra Theatre 7 earlier in the year from a forum member and noticed a huge improvement. Incredible value for money and being made in Australia is a big plus for me. 

I pulled it out of my system to sell so I could upgrade to the current HD version but because the trigger stopped working I first need to send to Arthur, which I’m not doing at the moment given I’m in Sydney and he’s in Melb. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wood said:

I picked up an Elektra Theatre 7 earlier in the year from a forum member and noticed a huge improvement. Incredible value for money and being made in Australia is a big plus for me. 

I pulled it out of my system to sell so I could upgrade to the current HD version but because the trigger stopped working I first need to send to Arthur, which I’m not doing at the moment given I’m in Sydney and he’s in Melb. 

Sorry to hear about the trigger problem (hopefully not a trend), and hope you're able to resolve when circumstances allow. I am intrigued by this brand :)

While it will always depend on your specific speakers I have on the pre side;

- Denon 4311 (for HT) and Primare Pre32 (for music with HT bypass)

Running through and older (non-HD) Elektra Theatron

To a set of Paradigm Sigs.

This combination is absolutely sublime...... :wub:

Wood, don't be shy about couriering your Elektra to Arthur, that's what I did (I'm in Sydney too) and perfect during this Covid period.

I even got him to put it in a new box and packing for the return for a small extra cost as I didn't have the original packaging.....

• Like 1

On 12/08/2020 at 6:57 PM, Ravin said:

Budget = $4,000

Use Preference = 60% music / 40% movies 

My AVR is a Marantz SR6014

Certainly well Worth adding amp in mix :) as have found self :)

On 12/08/2020 at 6:57 PM, Ravin said:

Option 2 - Been introduced to Elektra. I don't know this product much but I've been told they are great, and musical as well - which is a priority. Fits the budget, brand new; Is Aussie made, which adds a lot of confidence to my purchase decision. I would love to get more feedback.

Excellent amps, have owned 3 gen of those over many years. Excellent product and excellent local after sales. 

I probably look for Electra theatre 7 and later.  Theatrehd if wanting balanced. If not theatrehd I’d factor in a service, just age and Arthur updates the contacts in there to current ones uses in the HD series ...

23 hours ago, Wood said:

pulled it out of my system to sell so I could upgrade to the current HD version but because the trigger stopped working I first need to send to Arthur, which I’m not doing at the moment given I’m in Sydney and he’s in Melb. 

Good move to send, though do check make sure trigger working on the marantz or try triggering Elektra off something else. As the triggers on marantz though never happened to me have seen off one go with folks overseas :) good to isolate which gear with the fault if haven’t already :)

42 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

Wood, don't be shy about couriering your Elektra to Arthur, that's what I did (I'm in Sydney too) and perfect during this Covid period.

I even got him to put it in a new box and packing for the return for a small extra cost as I didn't have the original packaging.....

Ah, that’s a great idea. I don’t have original packaging either!

What service did you use?

1 hour ago, Nevyn72 said:

While it will always depend on your specific speakers I have on the pre side;

- Denon 4311 (for HT) and Primare Pre32 (for music with HT bypass)

Running through and older (non-HD) Elektra Theatron

To a set of Paradigm Sigs.

This combination is absolutely sublime...... :wub:

Thanks for the feedback. Two pre’s for music and HT running through a single power amp - nice !!! I am so new to this and it’s great learning about the various ways everyone is setting up!

my confidence in Elektra is going up by the day - thanks :)

59 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Certainly well Worth adding amp in mix :) as have found self :)

Excellent amps, have owned 3 gen of those over many years. Excellent product and excellent local after sales. 

I probably look for Electra theatre 7 and later.  Theatrehd if wanting balanced. If not theatrehd I’d factor in a service, just age and Arthur updates the contacts in there to current ones uses in the HD series ...

Good move to send, though do check make sure trigger working on the marantz or try triggering Elektra off something else. As the triggers on marantz though never happened to me have seen off one go with folks overseas :) good to isolate which gear with the fault if haven’t already :)

Awesome thanks for sharing your experience. The local after sales support and ability to modify seems like a huge plus! 

How do I buy an Elektra 7 HD from Sydney!? 

That’s the big question now :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ravin said:

Awesome thanks for sharing your experience. The local after sales support and ability to modify seems like a huge plus! 

How do I buy an Elektra 7 HD from Sydney!? 

That’s the big question now :) 

Not sure you have any Elektra dealers in Sydney.

Try Carlton AV in Mel, Macleans in Bne or Melbourne HiFi. Typically you should be able to do a deal better than RRP - perhaps 20% off.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Not sure you have any Elektra dealers in Sydney.

Try Carlton AV in Mel, Macleans in Bne or Melbourne HiFi. Typically you should be able to do a deal better than RRP - perhaps 20% off.

Thank you - will call them today :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ravin said:

Got informed by Melb HiFi these are made to order with a 2mth lead time. Woah! But a good product cant be rushed I suppose.

my first elektra(some years ago now) i was told 4-6 weeks and bang on 4 weeks i got a call it was there to pick up :) 

• Like 1