Spendor speakers with tube amp?

Hello everybody,

The last time I bought hi fi gear was almost 20 years ago- a Rotel amp and a pair of B&W book shelf speakers (on the advice of what Hi fi magazine) Recently, I had the thought to upgrade .
At first I researched B&w floorstanders as I wanted a bigger, punchier sound with a full bass. However, I was soon obsessively researching different speaker brands and amps. I’ve been down many online rabbit holes with no end in sight- scouring the internet for reviews and opinions. Currently, I am liking the sound of Spendor speakers, specifically the a5 or a7. I also really like the sound of a valve amp - line magnetic, cayin or primaluna. 
I really want to audition some equipment, but not an option atm with all that’s going on. Looking for opinions on whether tubes would be a good match for the spendors and how the tube amps compare sound wise.

many thanks

Often supplied but never remembered information, about pairing valve amps with loudspeakers, is valve amps are better with high impedance loudspeakers, and solid state is better with lower impedance.   The review here even makes mention of it:    http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/spendor-a3-loudspeakers-hi-fi-issue-86/?page=2

But the a3's are minimum 6.2 so should be OK, unless used with low powered Single Ended triode designs.

The difference between valve /solid state and loudspeakers is explained here:    http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/14_valve_amps_7.html

Edited by stereo coffee

I’ve read;  “you want tone go tube you want detail go SS”. The A7 with a big SS amp will provide great bass and a big clean sound. Not sure how efficient the spenders are but if they are under 90db I would go at least a 40W tube amp and probably a PP. You’ll get great tone and reasonable bass. Just my humble opinion.

if the SS route go a tube preamp. The power and the glory. 

My S9's have been used for HT duties for quite a while and have served very well in that role, they are a versatile speaker. Out of curiosity I placed them back in the main system for a listen and they do perform very well with a big SS  (450 wpc) amp. The treble can be a little edgy on the S9's and needs to be paired accordingly.

Thank you all for the advice. Seems like Spendor and valves can make a great pair. The LM805 looks awesome but has a price tag to match! I’m wondering if I could get away with a cheaper line magnetic...

When I can I will audition-

Speakers -

Spendor A4/A7

Acoustic energy 509

B&W 7 series 

Maybe Dynaudio (though I understand they are power hungry?)

Amps

SS - Rega elex   

Musical fidelity M3s

Tube- Prima Luna

- Cayin

- line magnetic (this might be hard to demo in melb, only seems to be one supplier and no website)

For anyone interested I will post updates/impressions and final system choice (might take a while!)

cheers all.

Edited by Champtaste
A4 not A5

I am about to become the owner of a new set of D7.2 which will be coupled with my Mcintosh valve gear. They sounded amazing together when I had a home audition of the D7.2 so hopefully you can find something which works for you :)