Triad demo/audition

Hi there, 

I'm building a house with a dedicated theatre room and now thinking about speakers.  My AV integrator is a Control 4 dealer and of course sells Triad.  He does not have a listening room unfortunately. 
Does anyone know somewhere in Sydney I can audition the Triad Bronze range? 
BTW, my new setup will be 7.2, using existing Oppo BluRay, Onkyo PR-SC5509 pre-pro, Rotel and Samson power amps; 2 SVS passive cylinder subs.  Bed speakers will be new in-wall units.  Room is 6.2m x 4.25m with 2.7m ceiling.  
Cheers,

Geoff. 

54 minutes ago, Marc said:

Try Lifestyle Store. I can't guarantee they've got Triad in their showroom, but they're most likely to of the NSW Control4/Triad dealers.

Thanks Marc.  I rang the Parramatta store and they do have Triad speakers on demo.  Thanks for the tip - appreciated.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Dont limit yourself to one brand. Have a look around at speakers in your price range.

I also dislike control 4. A neighbour has it and has to  call the shop to come in to make programming changes.

I usually cast a wide net when shopping for speakers but haven't done much research for this purchase as yet.  

I'll be going with in-wall, so that narrows the choice significantly.  Suggestions are most welcome.  I'm budgeting on around $6 - 7K for the 7 speakers. 

There won't be any Control4 or Triad electronics in the house, for exactly the reason you've highlighted.  

Guest Peter the Greek

They're pretty horrific.......I wasn't impressed with the Gold let alone the Bronze. 

Wasn't Wavetrain a Triad dealer? That was pre-Control4

For $1k a speaker, I'd look at other options. Is DIY an option? Something like what the DIYsoundgroup kits would be excellent. Maybe even Red Spade Audio might do their AV8? for that, maybe as a kit? (I've no idea on pricing)

41 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

They're pretty horrific.......I wasn't impressed with the Gold let alone the Bronze. 

Wasn't Wavetrain a Triad dealer? That was pre-Control4

For $1k a speaker, I'd look at other options. Is DIY an option? Something like what the DIYsoundgroup kits would be excellent. Maybe even Red Spade Audio might do their AV8? for that, maybe as a kit? (I've no idea on pricing)

Hey Peter, 

I did come across Wavetrain.  They told me they relinquished the dealership when Control4 took over Triad.  

Hadn't considered DIY; interesting idea.  I'm after in-wall units in enclosures.  I wouldn't go so far with DIY to make tailored cabinets for a speaker/crossover kit.  

Cheers

Guest Peter the Greek

B&w make a decent lcr you could afford.

JBL has good value in walls.

Or better still, Vafs DC series lcr and rears

12 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

B&w make a decent lcr you could afford.

JBL has good value in walls.

Or better still, Vafs DC series lcr and rears

Some good options, thanks.  

I hadn't heard of VAF.  These look interesting; I've reached out to them for a dealer in Sydney.  

The B&W CWM7.4 S2 is in my price range for LCRs, but is open backed.  I prefer to have an enclosure.  Given their reputation, I'll compare these to the Krix when I go to Sydney HiFi.  

The JBLs seem to be open backed.  

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Why?

@Marc they're a little out of his price range I think?

Two reasons for preferring an enclosure... 

Noise leakage into surrounding rooms (even though the walls will have acoustic batts).  

I'd expect better sound (all other things being equal).  

The enclosure does seem to increase price somewhat.  

16 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Good buying here

https://vaf.com.au/collections/vaf-speaker-packages/products/speaker-package-home-theatre-2-dolby-atmos

Your other option is second hand, but that might be problematic given you want in wall

I'm sure they could do me a deal given that I'm buying 7 speakers.  

• Administrator
37 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Why?

@Marc they're a little out of his price range I think?

Someone else suggested JBL. I don't have much experience (any, in fact) but my understanding was Triad was in this same league / price category.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Someone else suggested JBL. I don't have much experience (any, in fact) but my understanding was Triad was in this same league / price category.

Hi Marc, The Triad Bronze speakers are under AUD 1000 per item.  I don't yet know whether they are good value.  

• Like 1

I went through the same process about a year ago. I was initially looking at Triad Silver/Bronze combo. I ended up going with Krix Megaphonix and Symetrix. 
In my opinion I got far more and better speakers for my money. Plus they are an Australian product!(nothing like supporting an Aus Manufacturer at the moment!)

When comparing the Triad and Krix I found there was a big markup for the Triad when compared to American prices, that was before our dollar crashed as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dbuns said:

I went through the same process about a year ago. I was initially looking at Triad Silver/Bronze combo. I ended up going with Krix Megaphonix and Symetrix. 
In my opinion I got far more and better speakers for my money. Plus they are an Australian product!(nothing like supporting an Aus Manufacturer at the moment!)

When comparing the Triad and Krix I found there was a big markup for the Triad when compared to American prices, that was before our dollar crashed as well.

Thanks Dbuns.  That’s good information.  I will be listening to Triad and Krix soon.  

• Like 1

Guest Peter the Greek
On 15/08/2020 at 7:34 AM, Dbuns said:

I found there was a big markup for the Triad when compared to American prices

This was my beef. I could have them Fedex'ed in two days to my door for 2/3 of the price of the local Australian option at the time. That's just taking the piss

3 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

This was my beef. I could have them Fedex'ed in two days to my door for 2/3 of the price of the local Australian option at the time. That's just taking the piss

Yeah I agree. They are fantastic and I loved their sound. But when I started seeing their USD price and what I was quoted here, it really ticked me off. 
The. I came across the Krix, couldn’t be happier

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peter the Greek said:

That's interesting...  Do you know who ships the Triads to Australia?