John Kenny SABER DAC

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, if you plug the charger into a socket that isn't on the same power ring as the PC is plugged into, do you still hear the charger noise?

Yes. Its even there when the PC is switched off. Its there doesn't matter what I do even when I listen to my Foxtel which is on a totally different circuit. No real problem to unplug it when listening to stuff and charge it while I am asleep.

Thanks

Bill

Some people will go for the detail & bass attack of sigma delta others will prefer the sweet, fluid like sound of multi-bits. Have you tried high-res files with it yet - this might change the above balance a bit?

Hi John

Haven't tried Hi-Res suff through your DAC yet - will do that shortly. But my experience with the WFS is yes it does close the gap a bit.

Thanks

Bill

I have just finished experimenting with different software players and HD material. First to my ears by far the best player is Audirvana, like I found with my JK infused PDX, Itunes and Pure Music are not really in the race. Listening to Rebecca Pigeon Retrospective in HD and most definitely it is better - more fluid, liquid and less 'dry' - still not as liquid as other DAC's such as the Tranquility but a definite step up. In fact I will go as far as to say it bests the Tranquility using that material - the Tranquility is limited to 16/44.1.

Thanks

Bill

Just for the heck of it it tried connecting it directly to my Patek amp and used the volume control in Pure Music or Itunes. Holey crap - everything improved - detail, sound-stage, life - everything. Once you hear this no going back - direct connection is the way to go. Anyway decided the comparison with the other DAC's needed to be done again so contacted my acquaintance who had arrived back and headed on over for another comparison.

Another experienced audiophile was also there who had not heard any of these DAC's except the PDX before and we sat down to listen. First up we all agreed this was a very good SABER implementation - IMHO it is the best SABER I have heard but the others did not have recent experience with the Saber so were not willing to make that call. I had been listening to the WFS for a number of days previously so I knew what it sounded like very well. The JK Saber sounded very good indeed. The only thing we noticed was a slight graininess and the dryness to the sound. No glare or sibilance that the WFS has a bit of trouble with - this was easily above the WFS DAC2 that I know quite well. I know the base level Tranquility very well and thought this had beaten it but to be sure we put that on. No doubt about it - it bested the Tranquility when directly connected to the amps - more detail and realism - previously when going through a pre-amp I thought it a tie - but now it was better. The Tranquility can not be directly connected to amp because it is only 16 bit so we had to use a pre-amp. All agreed the JK was better. This is really a fine showing for the JK Saber - its the first DAC cheaper than the Tranquility I know that bested it - and it is significantly cheaper as well. Next up the Tranquility SE. Yep the SE was better - more fluid and life like with a beautiful beguiling mercury like mid-range - simply more of a joy to listen to. The JK is not a total giant killer - but it took a DAC three times the price to do it - and you also need a pre-amp. This SE was also the DAC that along with the Overdrive wowed them at the last RMAF - so that it took a DAC like that to best the JK Saber is again a fine showing. Next was a base level PDX - and yes it was better again - more life like and a real joy to listen to - but it was $2.7k - again much more expensive.

My new DAC ordering is Tranquility, JK Saber, Tranquility SE, PDX, Killer.

At $650-700 depending on the exchange rate this DAC is simply stupid good value for what you get. And direct connecting it to your amp will save money as well.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Bill, what system configuration were you using before this?

I'm of the opinion that simpler is usually better (once done correctly) - have you tried it directly into headphones yet? Makes for a great high resolution portable (tethered to the laptop) headphone device (volume controlled by software audio player). Might save the cost of a headphone amplifier too!

Edited by jkeny

Bill, what system configuration were you using before this?I'm of the opinion that simpler is usually better (once done correctly) - have you tried it directly into headphones yet? Makes for a great high resolution portable (tethered to the laptop) headphone device (volume controlled by software audio player). Might save the cost of a headphone amplifier too!

I was using the best pre-amp I know - the Truth. But even that was not as good as direct connection. The rest of the system was Lenehan Ribbontek interconnects, a Patek Amp and ML3 Reference. The system at my acquaintance was a pair of Mac 501 mono-blocks into ML1 Plus R's using the same Ribbontek cables. The ML1's and ML3's are very transparent and revealing - they are very close to stacked Quads in the mid-range but bass, treble etc are much better. They are lined with steel to reduce resonances to a minimum.

No headphones because I don't own any - well none of any real quality and certainly not with RCA plugs

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

"Just for the heck of it it tried connecting it directly to my Patek amp ... holey (sic!) crap" - bhobba, your enthusiasm for the jkdac is tempting me to press the 'buy' button: I don't think I can wait for the trial! Unfortunately, I've got a Naquadria pre/active set-up, so can't by-pass the pre, though it's 'passive'.

How come the Tranquillity can't be connected directly to an amplifier?

Its only 16 bit and you bit drop if you do. But for the heck of it tried anyway - this is one case where the pre-amp killed direct connection.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Hi Guys

I have now contacted the last person in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area that wants to hear the JK DAC and I am waiting for them to get back to me. When they have finished its down to Sydney for the Sydney guys. If anyone else in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area wants to audition it now is the time to speak up.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Guys

I have started going through the list of people that want to hear it out Brisbane/Gold Coast way. The first person declined because it was only USB. The second person has not got back to me yet - if he doesn't soon its on to the third person. Overall 6 people have heard it and all agree it is a very good Saber implementation. I believe it is the best Saber I have heard and very good value for money. It has none of the glare and sibilance other Sabers I have heard have problems with - but it is dry - certainly in the analytical camp. If you like that sort of thing then you could easily go right off over it like one person did as the shoot-out with the WFS.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

Ive had JKDAC for a few days now. My main source has changed a little recently. I sold my Wadia iTransport and iPod which was my main source for 2.5yrs, I sold the W4S dac1 I had for 10mo which replaced a CIAudio VDA2/VAC1 combo I had for 2 yrs.

My Amps are Manley Mahis and pre is a Trevor Lees Audio ref (all tube) and speakers are highly modded Zu Druids (new HO drivers and Mundorf/Duelund high pass + cabinet damping)and 2x Zu mini methods subs. All if which are stable including speaker cables and ICs.

I updated the MacBook pro to Lion and downloaded the 10.6 Hiface driver. Not knowing much about computer audio I fudged my way thru the setup to get sound.

I was immediately struck by how wide the soundstage was in comparison. Next was how deep and smooth the mids were followed by a brighter airier treble that was not harsh or brittle. Bass seemed to be less initially but it was tighter, after a while bass seemed to be more natural and very enjoyable..... Not as "in your face". All the detail is there which is nice Overall the sound is softer and slightly warmer than before. Definitely more easy to listen to over a long period.

Maybe it's the computer vs wadia/ipod or JK vs W4S but my system never sounded so good. I'm waiting for a USB cable to arrive over the STD Belkin I'm using now.......also a new Mac mini is on it's way...... What

If the sound improved even more ;)

interesting observations naggots. I wonder how much of what you're hearing is the modded JKhiFace and how much the DAC. The modded hiFace is seriously good at removing all digital nasties leaving you with just the music.

Thanks for posting

Cheers

M

Yes, Naggots, thanks for posting - no need to answer my email asking you for your impressions, I guess ;)

That's the sound of lower jitter that you're hearing - more defined sound stage, more analogue-like (in a good way), less "edge" & digititis.

Yes, Lebowski, the Hiface has a lot to do with it - it all starts with the source :) - get that right & you don't have to use your DAC or cables (or whatever downstream device) to try correcting an imbalanced sound, the main thing you have to do is avoid messing up the sound :). Simples!

Thanks JK for making such a fantastic product. Keep it simple while using quality components is where the genius is......

Yes indeed. And please remember it actually sounds better direct connected to you amps - no pre required. And please no comments such as the Truth hurts - I asked Ed about it and here is what he said:

http://thehornshoppeforum.com/index.php?topic=114.msg836#new

I am about to contact the next person on the list and see if he can pop around to pick it up. He is the last person in the Brisbane area that wants to hear it so when he is finished its off to the Sydney guys.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba