Item Condition: Used
Shipping Options: Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Maitland
State: New South Wales
Payment Method: Cash or EFT
Reason for selling: Too good to store

Item: Dali Megaline MK III Line ARRAY Reference  Speakers
Price: $15000 Negotiable
Item Condition:Good a  few marks on the timber
Reason for selling:Have Genesis Line arrays as well (May consider Large horns for Cinema)
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank deposit
Extra Info:These speakers sound absolutely jaw dropping ,they have full length ribbons. 12 x6.5 " drivers ,for speed and dynamics

massive sound stage ,beautiful mid and tops.they run 2channels per side ,so need 2x stereo amps or 4x mono blocks

they run an electronic external cross over. Each speaker weights 100kg and come apart in 3 pieces.

I have all boxes so courier is possible.

I bought these when the AU$ was 1:1 to US$ they were quoted at well over 100k here...

After a short stay at my mate @garfield1 (where most of the pictures were taken) I brought them back home and absolutely love them and never thought I'd part with them! 

Sadly I have a shed that has been converted into a cinema which gets as hot as hell when not in use (and air-conditioned) and my Genesis need to come out of there. I would use these down there but the heat with the ribbons is a concern (40+). I am open to swaps of a horn variety to use in the cinema.

http://www.dali-speakers.com/discontinued/megaline/

DALI MEGALINE - EDITORS' CHOICE

In the 146th issue of The Absolute Sound (USA), the very well respected mr. Robert E. Greene reviewed the DALI MEGALINE system with great results. Consequently the MEGALINE system got an Editors' Choice Award 

A few excerpts from The Absolute Sound:

"This large, elegant speaker offers an all but unique combination of virtues - power and scale on one hand and purity and resolution on the other, with distortion lower than electrostatics and a dynamic capacity no electrostatic ever dreamed of."

"Together with ribbon tweeters that go on seemingly forever, bass that extends solidly down to well below the bottom of the orchestral range and an even tonal balance, the MEGALINEs make for the most convincing reproduction of orchestral music REG has encountered. They also reproduce more intimate music superbly."

Pictures:

IMG_8861.JPG

IMG_8860.JPG

58b3f85dce895_C485FE7FE4C6D1C324339CC88146A915CCD0B8F3FA8C2698CEpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.thumb.jpg.d6cb7478f9e103bf584d88fbbea07221.jpg

58b3f85cec334_33FB1A0CC312B035772B7BBEE901101D7DCA478D16D64B8633pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.thumb.jpg.173e7f90159bd67f33f901cdfef2b0a7.jpg

IMG_2500.thumb.JPG.bb81a3a86efe54d540fae3af05886381.JPG

IMG_2503.thumb.JPG.24c734d4583285b8f78e9332f503ad99.JPG

58c4d8754164f_4B5783626CF6D0725705CA2910008616E24E9F7DCA198DA47Bpimgpsh_fullsize_distr(2).thumb.jpg.ec3c5df1ec19d30927937fd54403bd79.jpg58c4d876afe53_9307806C478126C426493E006A8274B2E992E900457C3BC6BCpimgpsh_fullsize_distr(2).thumb.jpg.276e0cf6e9edea0e19b47f752f4f8ae4.jpg

Dali-crates72dpi.jpg

This is one of the finest Full Range Loudspeakers ever made.
The Dali Megaline Loudspeaker is a genuine line source speaker which demonstrates very real advantages. This speaker is a statement product which stands nearly 2.5 m tall and uses no fewer than 15 drive units. A factor that distinguishes the Megaline from practically everything else on the market, is the use of an unusually tall ribbon tweeter that runs almost floor to ceiling.

Read more

The Megaline's tweeter is "nearly" a continuous ribbon, equivalent to 80 (!) 25mm domes. The main difference between a line- and a point source is that a line creates a cylindrical rather than a spherical soundwave and this has important implications. First, the sound pressure of a cylindrical wave decays according to a square law, where as a spherical wave follows a cube law. The practical implication is that there will be noticeably less variation in loudness as one moves towards or away from the line source speakers, and therefore creates a more consistant volume level throughout the room. Because the line source delivers a cylindrical sound wave, there is virtually no output upwards or downwards, restricting ceiling and floor reflections. The total sound reaching the listener will have a smaller proportion of room reflected content compared to a point source, and this will sharpen the stereo image precision. The influence of room standing wave modes is likely to be reduced, but the most intriguing consequence is that the sound balance remains consistent and image stays at ear height, whether you are standing, sitting or lying on the floor. A final point is that because a line-source speaker necessarily has a much larger driver area than a point-source design, the speaker has massive reserves of power handling, loudness capability and headroom, and also couples well to the air volume in the listening room.
Furthermore, this speaker system offers an easy amplifier load of around 5 Ohms and therefore is also a candidate for valve amplifiers.
The Megalines play in the league of speakers costing above one million Rand. (A$120000)

Also see Absolute Sound Editors Choice and Stereoplay Germany, Editors choice, as well as British HiFi Choice Special Collection.
 New price EUR 60'000.

IMG_8861.JPG

IMG_8860.JPG

Edited by ZOOTYtooty
Added pictures
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, gemini07 said:

What's the vertical sound stage like?....

19 hours ago, ZOOTYtooty said:

Because the line source delivers a cylindrical sound wave, there is virtually no output upwards or downwards, restricting ceiling and floor reflections. The total sound reaching the listener will have a smaller proportion of room reflected content compared to a point source, and this will sharpen the stereo image precision. The influence of room standing wave modes is likely to be reduced, but the most intriguing consequence is that the sound balance remains consistent and image stays at ear height, whether you are standing, sitting or lying on the floor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pretender said:

Pity my ceiling is too low.

2 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Likewise!

Easy guys. Take the top third off and use them as surrounds....or use them in the study/bedroom system....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Steve,

I can't believe you're selling them. It will be such great opportunity for someone who is super lucky!

GLWTS!

Tom

• Like 1

If ceiling is too low, lay it down and it would make a great center channel, now that's a real sound bar

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

You can keep them at my place if you want mate.

That’s fine for you to say, however they need a cooler place, and there is nowhere as cool tassie.   Wow, as a Dali fan I’m gobsmacked, and would dearly love to hear these totems.  

29 minutes ago, Jay Walker said:

That’s fine for you to say, however they need a cooler place, and there is nowhere as cool tassie.   Wow, as a Dali fan I’m gobsmacked, and would dearly love to hear these totems.  

You’ve obviously never been to Warrnambool 🤣