eyeofnewt

Sony HAP S1 "all-in-one" type product

My better half has finally conceded that it might be nice to be able to listen to records outside of the mancave.   So looking for something for the living room, like the now discontinued Sony HAP S1, with built-in amp, that can also accommodate my FLAC cd rips as well as connect to a record deck (via a phono stage if req'd).  Aesthetically pleasing also a plus.  Any suggestions gratefully received.. thanks. :)

nad has something dont they ? same with marantz and likes ?

i had he hap s1, only grizzle i had with it was its a bit of a sony eco system... so had to get files on there internal drive using the sony soft ware, not like could plug a  hard drive into it or something. it was also VERY limited in its ability to stream off web or even off network.

blue sound has the power node 2i ? 

https://bluesound.com.au/product/powernode-2i/

get a nice interface, all the options to stream off web or plug a hard drive or stream off your own network source...

Thanks for this.  Much of the appeal for the Sony (for me) was the internal storage, I don't fancy a USB disk hanging off the back.

54 minutes ago, eyeofnewt said:

Thanks for this.  Much of the appeal for the Sony (for me) was the internal storage, I don't fancy a USB disk hanging off the back.

beleive it or not...that sony internal is a pita ! quite small too. fill it up then what ?

a hdd connected to blue sound you wouldn't even notice..... mine is pretty discrete plugged in usb port.   easy to plug unplug and transfer files straight onto as well I found. the sony was not easy for file transfer through its proprietary file managed over network thing. 

IF you want there is also the one with its own internal hard drive but it doesnt have a power amp as well. gets to a point of all in ones... i guess...there are other options....

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

beleive it or not...that sony internal is a pita ! quite small too. fill it up then what ?

a hdd connected to blue sound you wouldn't even notice..... mine is pretty discrete plugged in usb port.   easy to plug unplug and transfer files straight onto as well I found. the sony was not easy for file transfer through its proprietary file managed over network thing. 

IF you want there is also the one with its own internal hard drive but it doesnt have a power amp as well. gets to a point of all in ones... i guess...there are other options....

You can fit a different hard drive inside.

Secondly you don’t need to only use Sony’s software. You can copy/paste using either a PC or Mac. It’s how I did mine for years with my Z1.

6 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

You can fit a different hard drive inside.

of course you can... but open it all up. did you see how haps1 was crammed inside ? its lot HARDER than just plugging something in via USB :D 

6 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Secondly you don’t need to only use Sony’s software. You can copy/paste using either a PC or Mac. It’s how I did mine for years with my Z1

still an atrocious setup ! not a patch on something like blue sound as much as liked my sony i can totally understand why now defunct. sony has a habit of doing that though. come up with things and then just walk away. 

Tried to sell the Naim Uniti Atom, but she seems to like Bluesound Powernode 2i on price.  Will need to go have a listen.  Is it just an RCA to phono Y cable to hook up an analogue source?

3 minutes ago, eyeofnewt said:

Tried to sell the Naim Uniti Atom, but she seems to like Bluesound Powernode 2i on price.  Will need to go have a listen.  Is it just an RCA to phono Y cable to hook up an analogue source?

looks to be...

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

of course you can... but open it all up. did you see how haps1 was crammed inside ? its lot HARDER than just plugging something in via USB :D 

still an atrocious setup ! not a patch on something like blue sound as much as liked my sony i can totally understand why now defunct. sony has a habit of doing that though. come up with things and then just walk away. 

Software updates for four years doesn’t constitute “walking away”.

4 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Software updates for four years doesn’t constitute “walking away”.

And then just dropped ....Now binned by sony ... to join long list stuff walked away from over the years.....

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

And then just dropped ....Now binned by sony ... to join long list stuff walked away from over the years.....

Still for sale in North America.

It seems you have unrealistic expectations of what to expect in updates. 

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

Yeah, I was surprise to see the S1 listed on the Sony Australia site as a discontinued headphone amp, with no follow on product.

37 minutes ago, eyeofnewt said:

Yeah, I was surprise to see the S1 listed on the Sony Australia site as a discontinued headphone amp, with no follow on product

Disappointed, as good concept could have been improved but Not surprised,  this is the beginners and purchasing advice sub forum and me suggesting to anyone as past owner, to buy a HAP-S1 would be like suggesting to buy a lada because it’s sold in the former eastern block ...

read the below, might get appreciation why no longer sold ! This is from amirm and with soft spot for Sony and once worked for them. 

He does extensively test in this case across inputs, outputs and in use,

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-sony-hap-s1-streamer-server.6921/

if want to stop punishing self as reviews says can skip to conclusion ...

Conclusions
To say the Sony HAP-S1 has disappointing performance is an understatement. There is not one subsystem that is designed for excellence. You can tell no one cared for was proud of the audio performance since the "specifications" on Sony site has essentially no data. The engineers that designed the good Sony gear back in 70s, and 80s must be long retired by now. Morita-san (co-founder of Sony), may he rest in peace, would have a heart attack over what this HAP-S1 produces.

The engineers are not the only ones at fault. The marketing department is to blame too for demanding a list of modern features, forgetting what it means to build an audio product with Sony name on it. Clearly they are out of touch not realizing the importance of good headphone amplifier design for example.

The amount we have regressed in audio performance over the years is astonishing. Companies have forgotten where they have come from and what their brands stood for. It is not like they can compete with software giants like Apple. The least they can do is build great performing hardware. The guard is asleep, leaving it to "chinese" companies to build state of the art desktop audio products. Imagine the shame in that. I hope there is a serious wake up call at Sony.

Now please excuse me as I go and edit out Sony out of my resume. image.gif

it’s sad as I have owned some flagship Sony stuff that was gorgeous ...but Cleary that was from a time someone cared !

Posted (edited)

To rely on Audio Science Review as the basis for what is sonically good or bad - you would have to be a moron.

I own one of the products in their top 10 but let me tell you if money wasnt the concern I would own one of the others that measure "poorly"

There are/were plenty of owners of the Z1 (bigger brother) that is universally praised for its technical prowess as well as sound quality, but of course I remember @betty boop dismissing that product because he once upon a time he owned an S1 and for whatever reasons owning this product makes you an expert on everything.

By mindful @eyeofnewt, this is the same forum member who tore the Oppo 4K players apart upon release and proceeded to throw his opinion around the place, only months later to own one with no fair explanation (apology) as to why the 180.

Its rather sad that a thread created for advice has to have someone of Al's "importance" push his opinions around and those looking for some advice - the OP has a set of requirements, a 100K system of components is not an option so there is an element of compromise.

Edited by Hydrology

@Hydrology I would suggest i you are most welcome to your opinion and suggest anything you want in this thread but however I would suggest not to make this personal. 

I dont at all have a problem you suggesting the OP to go get a hap s1 however there is also perfectly valid for folk to suggest otherwise which is what OP is actually looking for. incase it fails observation the haps1 is no longer available in australia. i am not sure why it continues to be dragged into discussion. I also dont see anything wrong as an ex owner to post on it or for matter point to what is extensive testing am sure op can consider that with all other factors including other options being suggested. 

as far as oppo. I actually posted an extensive thread in the review section possible oblivious to and actually talked in some detail my reaaons. its not my fault oppo 103 was a complete fail on release - i wasnt the only one with issues and i will always be one to say it like it is. I still persisted for a month worked with resources both locally and overseas to resolve. however a month of my time was enough. I am not paid to be a beta tester for companies. I do like to give things a 2nd chance and i did with the 205 (this was much time post 203 and clearly oppo did get act together by the time its release and posted again extensively on it vs other option I also owned and still own in another brand. I dont frankly know what this has to do with the price of fish. but if making claims and getting personal I would suggest get facts right.

at this point i will leave it as absolutely no interest for further discussion with any that makes things personal and can't have what is discourse on a forum without adding angst. 

Posted (edited)

Please draw attention to the part where I am getting personal and I will happily edit the posts.

Observing behaviour and commenting on it is not a form of personal attack.

Edited by Hydrology

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

@Hydrology I would suggest i you are most welcome to your opinion and suggest anything you want in this thread but however I would suggest not to make this personal. 

2 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Please draw attention to the part where I am getting personal and I will happily edit the posts.

Observing behaviour and commenting on it is not a form of personal attack.

unnamed.jpg

Posted (edited)

I have the HAP S1 and I dont use the internal amp although it sounds epic.

I have it hooked up to my external amp only because my floostanders are power hungry. 

With this setup it sounds breathtaking especially with flac and even more so  with dsd files.

Mp3 files are also handled better than any other media player out there due to the dsee software engine and I challenge anyone to listen to this and state otherwise. 

During completely silence in a track I put my ears right against the speakers and there is total silence. No distortion,noise hissing or whatever its supposed to be called by audiophiles.

I also used to have the hap z1es and side by side comparison could not distinguish between them. 

And I do have very high end amp and speakers.

That moron on audio science is just that. A moron. He is bashing a product based upon his own internal testing methods which have very little meaning in real world listening.

Edited by theok

The Bluesound Node 2i keeps coming up as the direction to head in.  Can anyone please suggest suitable speakers to pair with it?  Also, at that price point what turntable should I be looking towards?  (happy to invest more to avoid the plastic fantastic models).  thanks again. 🐵

21 hours ago, eyeofnewt said:

The Bluesound Node 2i keeps coming up as the direction to head in.  Can anyone please suggest suitable speakers to pair with it?  Also, at that price point what turntable should I be looking towards?  (happy to invest more to avoid the plastic fantastic models).  thanks again. 🐵

@eyeofnewt did you mean he power node ? 2i :) they are good units... you'd be looking at some stand mount or smaller floor standers. id look at the B&W designs if to your liking. perhaps worth starting another thread here on speaker choice for power node 2i :) am sure many folk will have suggestions and can also post to your budget.

same with the turntables... much choices if looking for something for someone entering the market nad makes some fuss free but very capable units and are not plastic fantastics... and id be looking at something in the $1k range...project another brand does well here. again post a thread in the turntable section id suggest. 

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)