RIP Neville Clark

Just found out last night that well known Adelaide mastering engineer Neville Clark has died from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. 

A-541212-1450426577-6451.jpeg.jpg

He owned and ran the mastering studio called Disk Edits here in Adelaide. I first met him as a sound production student in the 90s - our class did a field trip to his studio. I remember walking in to his studio and just thinking wooooooow.... this place is heaven. Neville was very kind and patient with us, we stayed there for hours listening to music while he did a masterclass (scuse the pun) and answered all of our questions about music, no matter how dumb. Hundreds of thousands of dollars was spent building that room, I have still never heard music sound so good as I did in his studio. 

Just about every single album that was produced in Adelaide was mastered by Neville, including all of the Hilltop Hoods albums.  I had the opportunity to hang out in his studio a few times when friends of mine were getting their albums mastered. Neville was always so kind, patient and very generous with his time and knowledge. Everyone in the industry looked up to him.

About 10 years ago I reached out to Neville asking if he would mind hosting some Stereo Net members one evening for a bit of a GTG and Q&A session about mastering, and he said 'no problem'. About half a dozen of us went and all had a great time, again Neville was very generous with his time, he just loved sharing his passion for music and audio. 

RIP to a true class act.

artisan-neville-clark.jpg

• Like 15
  • Love 2

I was just taking a look at the original thread for the mastering GTG, and we actually did two sessions with stereonet members, the second about a year after the first. Both sessions have melded into the one fuzzy memory.

• Like 1