KyFisher

Best Bunnings Insulation for acoustics

Posted (edited)

Hi Everyone
i'm building some acoustic panels and have been trying to track the perfect thing down but after dealing with suppliers and not getting anywhere i've decided to settle with the best that Bunnings has to offer.
so i was wondering what you would all pick for DIY acoustic panels from this list of Bunnings insulation's and why?
feel free to add more if ive missed one

so in the running we have

1. Earthwool SoundShield

2. Earthwool Thermal Wall

3. Earthwool Acoustic Partition Batt

4. Bradford Gold High Performance

5. Bradford Polymax
6. Hardiefire

i know people who have used SoundShield before not the others,
the two im most curious about is the Polymax (cheap and not itchy) and the Hardiefire (expensive but ridged)

thank you all

Edited by KyFisher

Posted (edited)

The Polymax is quite effective if you make them thick, and even better with an air gap behind as I understand how this works.

You can get it as thick as 220mm or 300mm if I recall correctly, but depends on what frequencies you are looking to tame.

Edited by muon*

Polymax is polyester so at least you don’t have to worry about kids and toxic fibres

if fibreglass gets in your eyes you’re in for a world of hurt

9 hours ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

Polymax is polyester so at least you don’t have to worry about kids and toxic fibres

if fibreglass gets in your eyes you’re in for a world of hurt

The new Earthwool is fine (just wear gloves), especially the Knauf SoundShield HD batts - R2.7 is about 30% dearer than the R2.5. Compare the specs across the board.

On 07/08/2020 at 7:39 PM, muon* said:

and even better with an air gap behind as I understand how this works.

People tend to get the "wrong".  (not saying you have... you're just the example ;) )

The air gap doesn't "help" like many imagine.

If I had 300mm deep absrobers mounted on the wall.    They would have mostly the same effect as 150mm absrobers ... with a 150mm "air gap" off the wall.

ie.  abosrbtion right against the wall does nothing..... you may as well have air there.

39 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

If I had 300mm deep absrobers mounted on the wall.    They would have mostly the same effect as 150mm absrobers ... with a 150mm "air gap" off the wall.

So, in your example, how big should the gap be to maximise the effectiveness of the 300mm absorbers?

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

So, in your example, how big should the gap be to maximise the effectiveness of the 300mm absorbers?

600mm

Posted (edited)

Two considerations from physics ...

1.  All absorption is most effective at 1/4 wavelength ie. where the particle velocity is greatest.  The velocity at the wall is zero so absorption is at its least effectiveness there. 

2.  The thickness of absorption should be in the ballpark of 1/4 wavelength also.  Anything much thinner than that will not have the required effect.  However not all waves impinge at 90º so the obtuse ones will have a longer path length thru the absorption and be attenuated more than one might expect.

So...

Thin stuff against a wall will only attenuate high frequencies.  Curtains and carpet, the same.

If you wish to tackle low freqs with absorption, then the absorption needs to be huge, thick and away from boundaries.

Almost all "bass traps" are really only high freq attenuators - they aren't thick enough, big enough nor in the right location.

Low freq attenuation is actually quite difficult and needs pressure traps not absorbers.

If you are serious, your room will look like a fibreglass warehouse and have paper thin walls to let the bass out.

------------------

I used lots (6) of Fletcher full sized semi-rigid fibreglass sheets (2400 x 1200 x 100 32Kg) and 5 rigid fibreglass pre-formed tubes (2000 x 450 x 50 64Kg).  They are covered with cheap hessian/linen material from Spotlight and are free standing and therefore moveable or re-moveable.  In my case most are behind the chair to kill the back wall reflection.

DCP_1717a.jpg.e951aba9f12657ccc8501c611e69b1bd.jpg

It might be unsightly but is very effective all the way to 35Hz.

spectrogram.png.274e9b4dce02ebdb800c30e94b007ccc.png

Edited by aechmea