Connecting a Turntable to a Bose System

I have an older friend who has a variety of eras of hi-fi gear. The most recent is a bose system comprising the dvd/cd player control unit, a sub and two satellites.

I have succesfully got her ipod hooked into this sytem for her, via a version of a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable - a $9 investment.

She has an old Technics 1300 turntable that is just sitting there. I assume she needs a phon pre-amp to boost the signal before going into another pair of auxilliary RCA connections in the bose unit. Is this right? If so, what is the cheapest way to do this? We are not talking about hi-end systems here. Perhaps it is a behringer pre-amp for around $35-$40. Perhaps that isn't a good choice

I am a complete noob on this, although my knowledge is significantly higher than my friends. I am hoping for a simple, effective and inexpensive solution.

Thanks.

Benje

Unless the BOSE system has an input labelled "phono", then yes, you have the idea.

Probably not likely that the Technics has an MC cartridge fitted, but it would be a good idea to check before selecting a Phono pre.

Likely the stylus/cartridge will need replacement, even if the stylus is not worn out, the suspension (of the cantilever) may well have perished due to age.

Replacement stylii are still available for many of the generic/OEM branded MM cartridges that were fitted to such decks.

I have done this very process in the past. Used a cheap batt operated phono stage from Jaycar $30ish. The Bose system may have the ability to boost the incoming analogue signal also. Scroll through the menus in system setup, there are usually a lot of options there.

Rural Rat !! You have Bose !!????

I'll tell the Trixie Owners club - I suspect your Trumpy membership has just been revoked.....

I'll tell the Trixie Owners club - I suspect your Trumpy membership has just been revoked.....

Hmmm..you mean the secret is out! But yeah there is some of that stuff here. Please dont tell the others. Seriously though it gets used for DVDs unless they are music DVDs then these goes through my good system.:thumb:

Nigel

I think this 'bose' is an Adelaide Hills thing, and the influence of Blackwood Sound Centre. This particular system is only a kilometre or so away from Blackwood Sound! I don't think the hills dwellers throw out these bose systems, otherwise andythiing would have a set and would have developed the necessary ear for bose.

Ophool

your suggestion about the cantilever perishing has me worried - my own ortofon is probably 25 years old (on a technics 1700 mkII). I don't expect I'll be bothering at this stage. We will see.

Rural Rat

I'll check Jaycar, thanks. I expect it will be a stock standard OEM MM cartridge, but I can check on Saturday.

Benje

Nigel

I think this 'bose' is an Adelaide Hills thing, and the influence of Blackwood Sound Centre. This particular system is only a kilometre or so away from Blackwood Sound! I don't think the hills dwellers throw out these bose systems, otherwise andythiing would have a set and would have developed the necessary ear for bose.

Ophool

your suggestion about the cantilever perishing has me worried - my own ortofon is probably 25 years old (on a technics 1700 mkII). I don't expect I'll be bothering at this stage. We will see.

Rural Rat

I'll check Jaycar, thanks. I expect it will be a stock standard OEM MM cartridge, but I can check on Saturday.

Benje

Hi Benje,

I still have the Jaycar unit sitting around doing nothing. You are welcome to borrow it to try out if you want.

Cheers

Paul

Actually, I knew that, but wasn't going to tell!

With all good humour and respect to all, I am a Hills dweller and never in 25,000 years would any Bose system cross my doorstep.

I gues you could make me use one............but you would have to kill me first;)

Nigel

Ophool

Rural Rat

Benje

rantan

my comment was partially tongue-in-cheek, and partially based on personal experience. The majority of people who I know with Bose are/have been hills dwellers. Not everyong I know in the hills has Bose, but it seems (to me) that there is a greater proportional representation of bose users amongst adelaide hills dwellers.

cheers

Benje (ps I do not own bose, and never have, but I did aspire to in 1999 after hearing the demo booth on holiday in Orlando Florida. I did not succumb. I bought three vaf icon 100's instead, which has ended up an expensive purchase given subsequent events and acquisitions).

Don't worry Benje. My own comment was pretty much tongue in cheek as well and I got a good laugh from your post.

Contrary to what some may believe, my sense of humour is alive and in wickedly good nick:);)

rantan

my comment was partially tongue-in-cheek, and partially based on personal experience. The majority of people who I know with Bose are/have been hills dwellers. Not everyong I know in the hills has Bose, but it seems (to me) that there is a greater proportional representation of bose users amongst adelaide hills dwellers.

cheers

Benje (ps I do not own bose, and never have, but I did aspire to in 1999 after hearing the demo booth on holiday in Orlando Florida. I did not succumb. I bought three vaf icon 100's instead, which has ended up an expensive purchase given subsequent events and acquisitions).

• 9 years later...

I have an ION ripping turntable that has both a usb cable to connect to my computer and RCA cables.  I was told by a customer service rep that I needed an app but I could not understand what kind of app.  Thank you