Is the RX8 an investment?

All other Mazda RX cars are going for bigger and bigger money. 

While the RX8 wasn't turboed it still has great balance and a rotary on a track is a whole lot of fun. 

The RX8 also has a whole lot more in the way of modern comforts.

Prices are starting to bottom, hitting close to the $10k engine rebuild costs for one that is running, $2k for one that needs a rebuild and $15k-$20k for the later models with lower kms. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit rude to derail a thread, but here you are......:)  

Sorry to de-rail the thread. Makes me feel young again looking at the photos.    

I always planned to buy a ground up restored RX4, my dream car, and back in the late 90's there was plenty around for under 10k. But today an RX4 in average condition sells for $40k. A ground up resto

Investment? Mistake. Fail. ( and I think you already know that)

Apparently the first generation Honda Civic is now collectable. Common in its day and nothing special, but now rare ( because nobody cared) and part of someone’s nostalgia trip. 

Better to get a car that you love with affordable upkeep and can actually drive on weekends.  If that is the RX8 then enjoy! (Advice from an armchair car collector who has spent way too much time watching everyone else collect cars, with varying success,  on YouTube :-))

The guy who designed the Maclaren F1 kept his own early car until it got too expensive to insure.  That’s a sad story, although he has just designed a new one, coming out in 2022 ( but you probably knew that as well 🙂 )

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

The guy who designed the Maclaren F1 kept his own early car until it got too expensive to insure.  That’s a sad story, although he has just designed a new one, coming out in 2022 ( but you probably knew that as well 🙂 )

I've been watching and loving the videos of Gordon Murray talking through the T50. I hadn't kept up with the price of the F1. Staggering. I remember sitting in an F1 when it first came out when on display at Birmingham New Street train station in the UK. Don't think that will happen with the T50 somehow.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Hergest said:

I've been watching and loving the videos of Gordon Murray talking through the T50. I hadn't kept up with the price of the F1. Staggering. I remember sitting in an F1 when it first came out when on display at Birmingham New Street train station in the UK. Don't think that will happen with the T50 somehow.

hi hergest, you had a lovely what id say collectable car ? what made sell it ? your thoughts might help OP ?  

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Hergest said:

One of the only things more staggering than current prices of the F1 is the annual maintenance bill, even if never driven... 

I never got to sit in one but spent an hour looking over one when they first appeared. 

Edited by DrSK
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, DrSK said:

One of the only things more staggering than current prices of the F1 is the annual maintenance bill, even if never driven... 

indeed .... maintenance for any machine ... is even more important if not being used :D 

things like rubber seals, bearings ... fluids etc tyres even all better moving and doing things than sitting there ! 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

Apparently the first generation Honda Civic is now collectable. Common in its day and nothing special, but now rare ( because nobody cared) and part of someone’s nostalgia trip. 

Better to get a car that you love with affordable upkeep and can actually drive on weekends.  If that is the RX8 then enjoy! (Advice from an armchair car collector who has spent way too much time watching everyone else collect cars, with varying success,  on YouTube :-))

very true... am one of those arm chair appreciators... thats only thing appreciating... :D 

My bet would be on the Honda S2000, they are holding their value well and nothing quite like it.. certainly unlikely to see another car that has an engine like this, in a production car anyway..certainly a car you could enjoy on the weekends

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, betty boop said:

indeed .... maintenance for any machine ... is even more important if not being used :D 

things like rubber seals, bearings ... fluids etc tyres even all better moving and doing things than sitting there ! 

These things seem to hit $50k to $100k.... per year. Eg fuel tank bladder. 

Edited by DrSK
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, murrmax said:

My bet would be on the Honda S2000, they are holding their value well and nothing quite like it.. certainly unlikely to see another car that has an engine like this, in a production car anyway..certainly a car you could enjoy on the weekends

Unfortunately, like an MX5 convertible it looks like a clown car with me driving it. Nothing worse than head sticking up above the front windscreen. That's if I can see passed the solid surround. 

If my legs weren't so short I'd be 6'5" or more. I get shorter when I stand up! Most people my height are 2-4" longer in the leg. 

Edited by DrSK
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Briz Vegas said:

They got a bad rep for not being an RX7 which was styled after various cars starting from the 944 and not having the performance. I am keen to take on for a spin. Did a motor racing course years back driving an RX7 and I'm a Kiwi, we love the rotary sound. 

Really just keen on something we'll balanced for some track fun. An older Cayman would fit the bill too but more pricey. 

Better to get a car that you love with affordable upkeep and can actually drive on weekends.  If that is the RX8 then enjoy!

Need to test drive one. Up keep shouldnt be too bad for an occasional driver. And allow for one $10k rebuild. 

(Advice from an armchair car collector who has spent way too much time watching everyone else collect cars, with varying success,  on YouTube :-))

All good mate! As an investment I'm watching this space. My post, as you guessed was half tongue in cheek to see the reaction. They are however a car that has on paper appeal to me. And it is currently the most affordable rotary. 

Always kept an eye on Mclaren! What's not to like about a company started by a man named Bruce?

Some of the later cars seem like running/maintenance costs and depreciation could actually make short term ownership viable as a once in a lifetime thing for the non wealthy. 

Grew up hearing about Bruce, and his racing from the guys back home and when my town used to host the Grand Prix in the days when a partial street circuit in small town New Zealand was acceptable. 

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

hi hergest, you had a lovely what id say collectable car ? what made sell it ? your thoughts might help OP ?  

The 6er? Too expensive to keep on the road when I didn't drive it often enough. It certainly wasn't in the silly price bracket but just parking it in the driveway with rego, insurance etc cost me a couple of grand a year. When I would drive it every weekend for good distances it was worth it but as the years passed and I took it out less then it became a very good looking money pit. It suffered from not being driven too so when I did take it out I'd have issues that always cost around $1000 to fix.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I loved my RX8. What's not to like? Investment though... no chance... you'll mainly be invested in filling up at the petrol station every 120km if you're enthusiastic with the right foot. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

No, its technically a terrible investment. It was not particularly liked but the majority of the rotory community and not favored by the normal community.  They engine cannot be turboed easily and the old engine turboed engine cannot be just dropped in and it's not a sports car, you could say it has some heritage but that is clutching at strings.  Im sure at some point it might raise in price but in terms of investment there are better options series 2 MR2, obscure Holdens, XR6 turbos, series 1 MR2, old corollas, earlier MX5s, any EVO, Nissan GTI, earlier Subaru, more rarer Hondas then any decent V8 in a limited run that has a decent name.  I would even go as far as to say most rarer/better 4wd would be a better investment as they typically hold value better then a sports car but may not go as high in value.

Things to look for typically is future cult culture cars and the RX8 is not one of them.  It does have it's looks...for some but overall there are better picks.  Just buy a later model RX7 and that is a way better investment overall.

Edited by sly_bastard
  • Like 1

RX8 no. There are other investments at similar cash that are much better - Evo X is a good example. 

S2k yes, if stock. Know a few people that have brought them back to base.

Any Japanese import that's about to become legal in the US or otherwise in demand in the US, yes. A friend's been flipping Supras and old TA22 Celicas for the last five years and has done very, very well out of it.

I passed on a very straight R34 GTS-T for 18 months ago and now I'm effing kicking myself.

A good friend bought a R32 V-Spec II for $43k in 2014 and we thought he was a lunatic. Now...

80s/90s Euro metal is starting to get up there - get your Alfa 75/GTV/GTV6s whilst they're (barely) affordable. The last two years have been stratospheric growth. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kelossus said:

Buy a VL Calais Turbo. I still have mine, it was my first car.

That thing is the unicorn in all Australian vehicles regards resale value. Just keeps winning. And they're a very nice car. How far north of stock is yours? Colour?

A friend has one in Eucumbene Blue Metallic (dark blue to the rest of us) and it's a stunning vehicle. Looks stock though the driveline went 'fully sick' some time ago. Has the original engine in his shed though...

1 hour ago, sly_bastard said:

Just buy a later model RX7 and that is a way better investment overall.

I know you're probably right. 

Mentally I get stuck in a loop of wanting a rotary. RX8s are a cheaper way in up front cost. Then think about RX7 as a better option, but like the Series 3-4 body shape. As this was what they looked like as a kid and had a lot of fun driving 20 laps in one next to an instructor on track as part of a motor racing course in 1999. But then get to thinking of the body shape and that I also have always liked the 944 and heading out in my neighbours one in the early 2000s... Maybe I just need a track car and stuff investment.. 

4 minutes ago, DrSK said:

Maybe I just need a track car and stuff investment.. 

Not a silly idea if this is what you want - there's a few good packages coming up from people needing to move along toys in the current climate.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Buy a VL Calais Turbo. I still have mine, it was my first car.

Holy s**t they keep going up - https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-10010259/motor-vehiclesmotor-cycles/1986-holden-vl-calais-sedan-matching-numbers

That's not even a turbo!!

EDIT Also that steering wheel is the most 80's thing I've seen all year.

Edited by rmpfyf
34 minutes ago, DrSK said:

There's plenty of hilarity on Gumtree

A decent little Formula Vee https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ipswich/cars-vans-utes/open-wheeler-race-car/1254347538

This however is quite tasty https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/deception-bay/cars-vans-utes/mx5-race-car-swaps/1250500996

Plenty more out there

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

That thing is the unicorn in all Australian vehicles regards resale value. Just keeps winning. And they're a very nice car. How far north of stock is yours? Colour?

A friend has one in Eucumbene Blue Metallic (dark blue to the rest of us) and it's a stunning vehicle. Looks stock though the driveline went 'fully sick' some time ago. Has the original engine in his shed though...

Outside of possibly the Maloo and SS utes it is going to be the most valuable Commodore. That Nissan engine and boy it looks the good. I remember a mate had a Walkinshaw kitted VE ute and another mate a SS VZ. The car that turned heads the most and sparked numerous conversations at the fuel station was my VL Calais.

Magellan Red with the classic calais two-tone. From factory, as an extra you could get a HDT Momo Steering Wheel and a Wood Grain dash, mine got it all. It's a series two with nicer interior.

Started it's life as an Auto which I later foolishly changed to manual. 5 speed RB25 Gearbox.

I went nuts with this thing in my early 20's. Spent about 25k on it. Sadly I am a **** driver and couldn't keep the thing straight when dropping gear. It has sat idle for 5 or so years now. In the shop right now and intend to get it back on the road. I want to do my residential quotes in it.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 2

P1000889.thumb.JPG.41abdd806b6369120d4d4d4d77f8bcdc.JPG

P1000270.thumb.JPG.e78b03cf680d16d1b9f2e363c89bc9c1.JPGP1000281.thumb.JPG.e8e433ea15b9b1175e447c71edf68e4b.JPG

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 6
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, kelossus said:

P1000270.thumb.JPG.e78b03cf680d16d1b9f2e363c89bc9c1.JPGP1000281.thumb.JPG.e8e433ea15b9b1175e447c71edf68e4b.JPG

All good mate, started the thread for a bit of fun anyway. And spending too many hours on Carsales.com.au. Always on it several times a week. Then costing UK imports and so on... 

Edited by DrSK
  • Like 1

@DrSK I fear @kelossus is right, a VL turbo will do. 

Not least because at this rate you could buy one now, sell it in two years and pocket a RX8 with the proceeds.

@kelossus I note a lurking intercooler. Power?

25 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

@DrSK I fear @kelossus is right, a VL turbo will do. 

Not least because at this rate you could buy one now, sell it in two years and pocket a RX8 with the proceeds.

@kelossus I note a lurking intercooler. Power?

Could be right. For me it would be very transactional, as perhaps an investment should be. Each to their own but I have no emotional response to a VL or really anything like it. Grew up drooling over Fast 4s and Rotaries and narrow winding roads. 

RX8 owner here. Believe it or not, prices have bottomed out and are now starting to increase. They’re a really fun proper drivers car, perfect 50/50 weight distribution, great brakes. Lots of fun revving to 9000rpm. Definitely wouldn’t recommend one as a daily though. Good as a weekender. 

I’m still kicking myself I didn’t buy an FD RX7 Spirit R like I really wanted to in 2015/16... they were going for $45k. Now $90-100k. In 5 years!!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mikizee said:

RX8 owner here. Believe it or not, prices have bottomed out and are now starting to increase. They’re a really fun proper drivers car, perfect 50/50 weight distribution, great brakes. Lots of fun revving to 9000rpm. Definitely wouldn’t recommend one as a daily though. Good as a weekender. 

I’m still kicking myself I didn’t buy an FD RX7 Spirit R like I really wanted to in 2015/16... they were going for $45k. Now $90-100k. In 5 years!!

That's solid news. Surprised to hear they're not suitable as a daily driver, they certainly look the part. 

Mate, we all wish we could have an FD... who knew. They look better now than they did then. A mate that had an SP doesn't go a week without cursing having sold that car. People that butchered them with LS1's and all 10 years ago are converting them back. 

On RX8's... you could have an RX Hate. Gawd I love the hilarity of this build. It's a hypnotic video, you just can't look away. These guys are just awesome.

• Like 1

Not quite in the investment ballpark, but I was recently shocked by the way old Lanndcruisers with high kms hold value. I was thinking of downsizing my daily driver and having a cruiser for weekend fun, towing and camping.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-toyota-landcruiser-sahara-auto-4x4/SSE-AD-6137747/?Cr=6

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Not quite in the investment ballpark, but I was recently shocked by the way old Lanndcruisers with high kms hold value. I was thinking of downsizing my daily driver and having a cruiser for weekend fun, towing and camping.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-toyota-landcruiser-sahara-auto-4x4/SSE-AD-6137747/?Cr=6

I always scratch my head that Aussies have to pay luxury car tax on a Landcruiser! 

https://www.caradvice.com.au/729414/exclusive-toyota-customers-pay-more-luxury-car-tax-than-owners-of-porsche-ferrari-lamborghini-maserati-rolls-royce-bentley-and-audi-bmw-and-lexus/

50 minutes ago, DrSK said:

I always scratch my head that Aussies have to pay luxury car tax on a Landcruiser! 

Why? Primary producers and tourism operators are exempt. Probably shows why there are so many blinged up Dual Cab utes out there these days. If you read the article you posted it states that Toyota pay more LCT than luxury brands, not customers individually. A new bare bones 200 series starts at about $90k driveaway and the most common 1, a GXL is over 100K. That is a rip off and there are many cheaper options, though perhaps not so over engineered. I think many buyers are sort of forced into buying them if wanting to do remote travel because of the dealer support network. Imagine braking down in the outback and urgently needing a part for your Land Rover Discovery. They'd probably need to import it from the UK. Chances are the next town will have a Toyota dealer or a mechanic with many spares on hand

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, blybo said:

Why? Primary producers and tourism operators are exempt. Probably shows why there are so many blinged up Dual Cab utes out there these days. If you read the article you posted it states that Toyota pay more LCT than luxury brands, not customers individually. A new bare bones 200 series starts at about $90k driveaway and the most common 1, a GXL is over 100K. That is a rip off and there are many cheaper options, though perhaps not so over engineered. I think many buyers are sort of forced into buying them if wanting to do remote travel because of the dealer support network. Imagine braking down in the outback and urgently needing a part for your Land Rover Discovery. They'd probably need to import it from the UK. Chances are the next town will have a Toyota dealer or a mechanic with many spares on hand

Time to scrap LCT altogether, and ADR compliance. All protectionist schemes set up to support local manufacturing. Both significantly drive up costs and the reason why Australia is a bit of a barren wasteland in terms of model choice. Want to bring in same car but different engine, that's an ADR crash test with a few vehicles before you can sell it. Nothing wrong with JIS and EU standards. 

• Like 1

As a fan of 80s Japanese cars, I especially love the 70 series Landcruiser... awesome that you can buy an 80s Landcruiser with new car smell and a warranty. Not fantastically practical, but awesome nonetheless. On Landcruiser forums the Americans always curse that they can't get their hands on a 70 series, as 1980s landcruisers in the states have gone up in value like aircooled 911's.

8 minutes ago, mikizee said:

As a fan of 80s Japanese cars, I especially love the 70 series Landcruiser... awesome that you can buy an 80s Landcruiser with new car smell and a warranty. Not fantastically practical, but awesome nonetheless. On Landcruiser forums the Americans always curse that they can't get their hands on a 70 series, as 1980s landcruisers in the states have gone up in value like aircooled 911's.

Every time I take my HDJ78R 2003 Landcruiser Troop Carrier to get something done on it, they always drool over the engine, and have had a few offers of buying it. It's the 4.2L 6cylinder factory turbo (1HD-FTE), and is only just run in with about 260,000Km on the clock. The damn things are almost indestructible and still have plenty of get up and go, for distance travelling. The only thing that lets them down a bit is the comfort, but that's not why I bought it anyway. I plan to get buried in mine.. LOL

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DrSK said:

Time to scrap LCT altogether, and ADR compliance. All protectionist schemes set up to support local manufacturing. Both significantly drive up costs and the reason why Australia is a bit of a barren wasteland in terms of model choice. Want to bring in same car but different engine, that's an ADR crash test with a few vehicles before you can sell it. Nothing wrong with JIS and EU standards. 

50+ car brands in Australia. Plenty of choice I would have thought. If our stupid government would stand up to the oil companies and/or get over their obsession with what a couple of cents a litre would do to the CPI and finally join the rest of the World with decent sulphur limits we might get even more models.

24 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

50+ car brands in Australia. Plenty of choice I would have thought. If our stupid government would stand up to the oil companies and/or get over their obsession with what a couple of cents a litre would do to the CPI and finally join the rest of the World with decent sulphur limits we might get even more models.

Sulphur problem is a feedstock issue, not a govt magic wand. Get the public to agree to prices going a little north and all is well :) 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

A bit boring here, far more options in New Zealand and Europe. 

Not so much the brands, but the limited options available. Eg car body engine combinations. Every combo needs an ADR test. From what Audi told me, $1m added expense per combo. 

Eg, limited engine body combos in Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar for starters. We tend to get the more mundane options unless buying the full performance models. 

Edited by DrSK
13 minutes ago, rmpfyf said:

Sulphur problem is a feedstock issue, not a govt magic wand. Get the public to agree to prices going a little north and all is well :) 

It's up the government to set the sulphur content of our fuels. Should have been brought into line with the rest of the World a few years back but nah, they let it ride. What's wrong with this graphic?

Maximum Gasoline Sulfur Limits (2018).jpg

10 minutes ago, ArthurDent said:

It's up the government to set the sulphur content of our fuels. Should have been brought into line with the rest of the World a few years back but nah, they let it ride. What's wrong with this graphic?

Maximum Gasoline Sulfur Limits (2018).jpg

Lagging USA and China says something.