• Moderators
3 hours ago, doogie44 said:

Am I the only one who just wants an idiot-proof experience with some kind of a setup 'wizard' to guide me--at all times? I am in awe of the knowledge on display here from savvy members BUT why do you have to undergo the torment of years of trial and error? I have had the torment alright, but seemingly learned very little.

Don't start me on digital audio and the multiple opportunities for it to fail at any moment. I am not a computer whiz. I am a music lover.

I do like it all when it works well. If only that were more often. I think anybody new to this technology would just give up when they find out it's so unfriendly--and not well thought out, in my opinion. 'Consumer' electronics my *****!

Not that one is getting judgemental in one's old age...no, one merely observes

it is very frustrating indeed. and especially since its supposed to make thing easier..but does it :D 

just so many variables and especially with multiple bits gear involved. seems more gear involved the more complexity the more the headaches :D 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was also motivated to start a similar thread... HDMI sucks       Can imagine as early adopter (of 4k uhd) what a mess it was.... to start with ... and still is for what legacy gear a

I had a look at my 900's settings and there are some traps with using both hdmi outs Ash    1st make sure hdmi audio output mode is set to audio only ; not video + audio[ this can drop every

I admit the entire HDCP2.2 4k era has been a mess with handshaking. Temperamental. But, I found if I observed start-up order it worked flawlessly, Sony projector, Anthem AVR, and then the video source

Posted Images

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

I totally agree! I get frustrated when my old man visits and can’t remember how to watch cable etc. at my place. But, the point is, even something fairly straight forward like that can be difficult for some people. With a lot of the newer technologies it can be an absolute nightmare getting everything working in sync. 

not to add more complexity ! :D but  i have found a universal remote a handy for others using the setup. my daughter from a toddler soon worked it out.... so possible. but yeah am always helping my dad on his setup. netflix isnt working... or why is this screen coming up ? why is this thing asking me a question all the time. or why does it all look different all of a sudden ! and his is an older stop no 4k or latest hdmi or anything involved

31 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

it can be an absolute nightmare getting everything working in sync

Why do I feel this could have easily been written about a Linn Sondek turntable , or a moving coil cartridge, or a unipivot tonearm, etc.

Edited by pwstereo
word spacing
3 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

TV is a Pana EX780 75”. I can’t imagine upgrading it anytime soon unless I get rich quick lol. Now I have the projector it’s even less likely, as I’ll watch most movies on it. 

Its a small world ; I replaced my pana ex780 65" with a Hisense 85Q8 . My projector handles the rec709 and 3d , Ive watched the Hisense gradually increase in price since I bought it ; its gone up to 5k everywhere but where I bought it and videopro .I think they have latched onto its US popularity possibly. . Keep in mind the Hisense S series ; cheaper as its edge lit like the panas but has better NITS for UHD and works well with a electric drop down screen :)

3 hours ago, doogie44 said:

Am I the only one who just wants an idiot-proof experience...

Litz wire, speaker cable risers, tube rolling, capacitor replacement, custom power supplies, exotic power cables, and so on. Digital, streaming, technology, these aren't the first time knowledge, experience, and a certain amount of tedious fiddling have been part and parcel of the experience of quality sound and vision reproduction.

3 hours ago, pwstereo said:

these aren't the first time knowledge, experience, and a certain amount of tedious fiddling have been part and parcel of the experience of quality sound and vision reproduction.

Peter, I don't mind that fiddling and have done a boat load of it. I can't solder or read a circuit so I don't fiddle with electronics like that. Apart from that, I have made my systems work well for many years and they have not been simple ones.

What I sorely object to is a cobbled-together digital architecture of mind-boggling over-complexity and unpredictable result--even when you 'think' you have done the right thing! I truly don't understand the architecture, or the actual multilevel operations going on (despite much valiant effort). You can rightly say it's my fault. I say that hardly anybody would really know how to operate a computer without the interface called Windows (as one example), not being a computer geek already.

I say it's still an emerging and immature technology. The designer nerds in the main have lost sight of the goal. Forget convenience--what about reliability?

So, I would like a comparable interface for the dog's breakfast called a modern multimedia A-V system. I believe the higher-cost digital gear now actually works nearly every time and sets itself up completely to work first time, and reliably with other gear. 

Now you're talking. 

I feel much better after that rant.

19 hours ago, betty boop said:

not to add more complexity ! :D but  i have found a universal remote a handy for others using the setup. my daughter from a toddler soon worked it out.... so possible. but yeah am always helping my dad on his setup. netflix isnt working... or why is this screen coming up ? why is this thing asking me a question all the time. or why does it all look different all of a sudden ! and his is an older stop no 4k or latest hdmi or anything involved

My dad even complains that his foxtel remote is different to mine and you want to introduce a completely foreign one?! Hahaha. 

I look after his foxtel and he told me recently (not the first time I think) that he doesn’t have the movie channels. Well I pay for them so he bloody better get them. I think he’s confused the movie tab on the home page, with the TV guide, but I can’t be sure until someone checks and I live hours away from him.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

My dad even complains that his foxtel remote is different to mine and you want to introduce a completely foreign one?! Hahaha.

haha ... i gave up on that with my dad... gave him an older universal remote i had.... then was over and found it sitting in the corner in a bundle with its charging station, asked him what the go was.... he says well i use this remote for this and that one for that. so why do i need that thing as well :D

4 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

I look after his foxtel and he told me recently (not the first time I think) that he doesn’t have the movie channels. Well I pay for them so he bloody better get them. I think he’s confused the movie tab on the home page, with the TV guide, but I can’t be sure until someone checks and I live hours away from him.

yep he sometimes rings me up with some problem and have to let him know, can't fix this on the phone i'll have to pop over ! :)