Do You Hate Technology Sometimes?

It’s becoming a regular thorn in my side lately. I’m getting so frustrated with it, I just wanna quit using it.

My frustrations are mainly concerning issues watching movies. So often I go to watch a movie, be it on my Panasonic UB900 or Apple TV 4K and I have issues getting the optimum audio and video settings to work, which infuriates me and I lose interest in watching what I was about to. Last night I couldn’t get it working to my satisfaction and gave up after 20 minutes. There’s some disconnect between the sources and my AVR I guess.

I’m fairly tech literate but these issues are baffling, which makes me not want to bother watching anything that requires several components  working in harmony.

I’ll give an example of the latest problem I had...

Last night I was going to watch Star Wars: A New Hope UHD disc on my new projector. I was looking forward to watching an old favorite in a format and screen size I’d never seen it on before. Well after much frustration I gave up because I couldn’t get it to display 4K. 

I’ve used my projector twice and it worked well both times. It was connected via my AVR in those instances. This time I wanted to see what it was like connected directly to my disc player. Panasonic recommend that too, although they state display or television, not projector. I’ve only watched 4K on the projector via the Apple TV prior to this and it worked fine.

So, I had the HDMI fibre optic cable connected from the video out on the disc player to the projector, and audio out from player to AVR for Dolby TrueHD audio. Also recommended way to connect by Panasonic. However I couldn’t get it to output anything but stereo PCM. You can select ‘video+audio’ or ‘audio only’ for the HDMI audio out on the UB900, but it wouldn’t allow me to select the latter. This in turn means you cannot select 4K output which meant choosing automatic output, which resulted in 1080p playback of a 4K Blu-ray Disc! So I couldn’t watch with the best video or audio the disc has to offer. Grrr. 

I figured I’d go back to the way I had it connected where there were less or no issues. I connected the pj to AVR with same f.o HDMI cable and used a single output from player to AVR. Now it just didn’t wanna play ball at all and when I gave up. I was getting no signal or unsupported signal message from the pj and I figured all the hdd DF mi handshaking and whatever else is going on was having a fit, just like me.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant but do you ever wonder why you bother with all this technology when it can be such a pain to get working how it’s supposed to? Or do you not have these problems?

Hopefully my new AVR which is coming soon will solve these issues. I have a feeling this type of equipment doesn’t like having connections changed and I’m often switching the HDMI out on my current AVR between the cables for TV and projector. My new one has two HDMI outs so🤞 . To me it seems like most, if not all these issues are HDMI related.

• Like 1
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was also motivated to start a similar thread... HDMI sucks       Can imagine as early adopter (of 4k uhd) what a mess it was.... to start with ... and still is for what legacy gear a

I had a look at my 900's settings and there are some traps with using both hdmi outs Ash    1st make sure hdmi audio output mode is set to audio only ; not video + audio[ this can drop every

I admit the entire HDCP2.2 4k era has been a mess with handshaking. Temperamental. But, I found if I observed start-up order it worked flawlessly, Sony projector, Anthem AVR, and then the video source

Im going to say this . .  .not in jest . . . but because i i have had similar problems in the past with the same panasonic player.  Turn the power off to everything at the wall and turn it back on.  I had problems with HDMI handshaking with the xbox (which i got rid of) where i would have to do a hard power reset for sound to come back through my preamp after having used the xbox.

Im not at home right now but later i will have a look at my settings as i run the hdmi direct to the projector and sound to the Pre.  What projector are u using by the way.  Do you need to go to a specific setting for 4k.

• Like 2

The player gets (or got when it was new) a very good rap, but personally I’ve had many issues with it. I guess it produces good results, but has had several basic stuff ups ime and freezes a lot. I know about power resetting, but thanks anyway. 

I’ve had issues with my AVR too, which is a Pioneer VSX-932. I have everything plugged into it, including foxtel and sometimes the hdmi link/cec won’t work, or only audio will be output from foxtel in particular. That’s why I posted this, more for a whine about technology and how it’s supposed to improve our lives but can be a nightmare. For a while the AVR wouldn’t output audio from the UB900. Arghhh. I think it was fixed when I changed which hdmi cable I used, but the previous cable still works, as I use it for Apple TV.

It’s as if you have problems if you change any connections. I used to plug the pana directly to TV to ensure best PQ, with audio out to AVR via hdmi and it worked, except for that time I mentioned above. I thought perhaps because the TV was also connected to the AVR for ARC, it worked, but last night the pana was connected to projector and AVR separately. I reckon using an optical cable for the audio should fix it and/or power reset.

The projector is an Epson TW-7100. I guess the reason the pana output the (automatic) resolution of 1080p is because the pj is not true 4K, so that’s unsurprising and I could’ve used the e-shift option in the pj, but was just incredibly annoyed that I couldn’t get everything working like it should lol. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Esoterica said:

Hopefully my new AVR which is coming soon will solve these issues. I have a feeling this type of equipment doesn’t like having connections changed and I’m often switching the HDMI out on my current AVR between the cables for TV and projector. My new one has two HDMI outs so🤞 . To me it seems like most, if not all these issues are HDMI related.

HDMI connections are quite delicate and you may have accidentally damaged either the cable or the connector.  Do you have another hdmi cable to test?

Also, check the HDMI settings on the UB900.  Set it to downscale to 1080p for the projector.   An auto setting may not work if it connected to the AVR, then to the projector. 

Not quite at the same level, but I have had similar problems with a Yamaha mini system connected to a Panasonic TV with HDMI ARC. Most of the time it works just fine, but sometimes the ARC handshaking over HDMI just seems to get itself confused, with the TV screen displaying the Yamaha's home screen when it is set to TV mode. When that happens it refuses to play ball, and one has to resort to the 'Windows' solution (although its not Windows), ie:- Switch it all off, disconnect from power and wait for a while, then reconnect and switch on again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

HDMI connections are quite delicate and you may have accidentally damaged either the cable or the connector.  Do you have another hdmi cable to test?

Also, check the HDMI settings on the UB900.  Set it to downscale to 1080p for the projector.   An auto setting may not work if it connected to the AVR, then to the projector. 

Possibly damaged an input, but I’ve had issues for a while and it seems to stem from changing things around. I recently wall mounted my tv and removed most of the cables from AVR for access. I know I put them back in different ports. It’s hard to keep track of which are 4K compatible cables and those that are older. Although I can never remember if you need a newish cable for 4K.

The cable I bought for the projector was the cheapest I could find (10m fibre) but still over $100 and was a bit flaky at first so I wouldn’t rule that out. I have no others long enough, without moving the projector.

I can try other cables for the UB900 if it doesn’t play ball tonight. As for settings, I have no issues watching in 1080p and the problem was with only audio going to AVR. It’s the fact that you can’t choose to output in 4K when ‘video+audio’ for audio hdmi out is selected, so 1080p or auto are the only options, besides the lower resolutions. For some reason it won’t let me select audio only, which I’ve almost always used. Anyway I’m hoping a reset will fix it. I’ve also connected an optical cable between the UB900 and AVR if that doesn’t work.

It should be simple. Player output video to projector, tv etc. and audio to AVR. But it’s not wanting to for some reason.

I admit the entire HDCP2.2 4k era has been a mess with handshaking. Temperamental. But, I found if I observed start-up order it worked flawlessly, Sony projector, Anthem AVR, and then the video source, Panasonic, oppo, Apple TV.

The Panasonic does have some firmware flaws. If you pause or fast forward, audio can dropout and need handshaking or swapping audio tracks to get t to work.

Also, if you hit buttons such as eject BEFORE the home screen image shows, it can lock up and need power cycling.

Sony also has the idiotic idea of NOT defaulting the HDMI ports to HDCP 2.2 so you won't get 4k HDR. Just idiotic. It stumped me when I first got mine and was wondering why UHD was doing only 1080p...

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Esoterica said:

Possibly damaged an input, but I’ve had issues for a while and it seems to stem from changing things around. I recently wall mounted my tv and removed most of the cables from AVR for access. I know I put them back in different ports. It’s hard to keep track of which are 4K compatible cables and those that are older. Although I can never remember if you need a newish cable for 4K.

The cable I bought for the projector was the cheapest I could find (10m fibre) but still over $100 and was a bit flaky at first so I wouldn’t rule that out. I have no others long enough, without moving the projector.

Mix and matching different HDMI cables can cause problems, particularly when you have a mix of HDMI versions on different boxes.  Yes, I know the newer versions are supposed to be backward compatible.  And some HDMI cables sold have questionable compatibility traits.

Highly recommend contacting Keith from Ezyhd and get some of his cables.  

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/profile/263819-ezyhd/

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

I admit the entire HDCP2.2 4k era has been a mess with handshaking. Temperamental.

HDMI handshaking has always been messy, no doubt causing some of the problems for OP.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was also motivated to start a similar thread... HDMI sucks :D 

Can imagine as early adopter (of 4k uhd) what a mess it was.... to start with ... and still is for what legacy gear and issues we still left with to deal with today.

to be fair gear has come a long way... some gear even from those early days has remained solid since... some others still a mess :D 

we have fortunately had more proliferation of premium certified hdmi cables...certified to work....so less of a mine field...

but yeah the mine field with gear continues...

particularly since the hdmi spec is also just a feature set...so actually allows somethings to have some features and others to not necessarily have the same and yet be same spec :D 

We are going to see a lot of folk tearing hair out with hdmi 2.1 

and with the ultra high speed cable to suit the spec has a mandated certification.. so hopefully we dont have the mess we still sort of have ...to catch the un wary... 

• Like 5

Agree. Not only is it plagued with a myriad of different specs imo the connector itself is crap being not secure and fairly fragile. I also share the same problem that I have with USB in that for some reaso I always seem to have the connector the wrong way around when trying to plug in!

Give me old school BNC connectors anyday like my old Sony W400 had 🙃

IMG_2434.JPG

• Like 1

Ugh, no way you could pay me to go back to analog. And not a chance I ever want to see CRT anything ever again!!!!

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Give me old school BNC connectors anyday like my old Sony W400 had 🙃

Aah the good old days when it was a toss up whether to send component Y pb pr  or RGB [cause your projector didnt stipulate what it preferred :$ ] Not to mention threading 5 leads through a wall conduit 👌

Seriously though how much better would we be with display port or similar ; none of this updating to fix "specifications'' that dont work properly like ARC and and its better protocol E-ARC   ... Its not as if dolby digital plus with atmos cant allready be sent over ARC thanks to dolby MAT . 

• Like 2

Good to have some more people on my pain train lol. Yes hdmi sucks, not all technology.

I was going to try to watch SW again, earlier than I normally would, because I’m layed up with a bad back and it was a rainy day. Started with the projector connected to my AVR and no signal or not supported messages displayed. I could however see the menu for the AVR and thought an option in there could fix it. Changed out some cables and no go! Thought the hdmi port may be damaged, but other inputs weren’t displaying either. I think I had it working with optical out for audio on the disc player, but it was only in 6.1. Now that I think of it that could work since I am only running 5.1 currently. At any rate, I wanted to get it working optimally. It wasn’t even displaying the Apple tv which worked before. 

I then connected projector to player directly and nothing... until I turned on the AVR?! The only link between the two is from the hdmi audio out of player, so that doesn’t make sense to me. Anyway, I could see the image source, but no audio because of the previous settings I had on the player for optical audio. Lol this is quite the “saga”. So I could see the movie but not the damned menu when I went to change the audio settings! Makes no sense other than something to do with having 4k output on, but some menus still displayed.

So I changed the settings via tv, so video AND audio should work. It bloody better because all the stuffing around hasn’t helped my back pain!

After everything I reckon the hdmi fibre optic cable is flakey, since that’s the common denominator. Should’ve gone with a known brand, but they’re ridiculously expensive.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

After everything I reckon the hdmi fibre optic cable is flakey, since that’s the common denominator. Should’ve gone with a known brand, but they’re ridiculously expensive.

do you HAVE to use a 10m cable will 9.2m do ? can pick up the mono price premium certified 30 ft 9.2 m for $66 its saying free shipping and from amazon au so should get it pretty quick. being premium certified its certified to work and would eliminate one possibility

https://www.amazon.com.au/Monoprice-Certified-Premium-Speed-Cable/dp/B07D7JTTNR

On 06/08/2020 at 3:06 PM, Esoterica said:

The projector is an Epson TW-7100. I guess the reason the pana output the (automatic) resolution of 1080p is because the pj is not true 4K, so that’s unsurprising and I could’ve used the e-shift option in the pj, but was just incredibly annoyed that I couldn’t get everything working like it should lol. 

this isnt quite correct. yes not a native 4k machine but it has a 18gbps 4k hdmi full brand width chipset. so no it shouldn't be reducing your output at the player to 1080p

its something else in the mix... your pioneer avr looks fully cable... 

so as far as i can see that only leaves the cable...

what is the cable pana 900 to AVR ? is it worth swapping that out to premium certified as well ? if its only short could get something like this 

its only $10 for 6 feet premium certified...

https://www.amazon.com.au/Monoprice-115428-HDMI-Cable-1/dp/B01GCGKI3O/ref=pd_bxgy_2/358-0538993-8198709?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01GCGKI3O&pd_rd_r=5ad46a80-b725-45cd-ad8d-dd45b2a9d7f7&pd_rd_w=NOPGE&pd_rd_wg=JAlnh&pf_rd_p=f86490a8-0cd1-429d-a5b5-bc9f18b26478&pf_rd_r=HWVZ7EE6MDAJGKM6ABZP&psc=1&refRID=HWVZ7EE6MDAJGKM6ABZP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Esoterica said:

So I changed the settings via tv, so video AND audio should work. It bloody better because all the stuffing around hasn’t helped my back pain!

I had a look at my 900's settings and there are some traps with using both hdmi outs Ash 

1st make sure hdmi audio output mode is set to audio only ; not video + audio[ this can drop everything to 1080p because of hdmi's lowest common denominator interaction with other edids] . Secondly; hdmi [video] output mode is on auto 'not video +audio . 3rdly 24p is on auto and if set like this the 4k50/60 setting is overidden and the 900 will use less bandwidth which may help your cables . If not you know they arent the best and can get the monoprices :)

Did you get the 10/12 bit priority firmware download ok ? It is listed under the advanced hdmi menu .Set it to 12bit priority to prevent colour banding or if the epson doesnt like that 10bit . Oh and you mentioned using optical out ;  make sure audio output under advanced settings is on ; otherwise no hdmi audio at all.. You can also auto reformat 5.1 or less to 7.1 in the advanced menu :) A bit like oppo used to do with pl2 in their early players iirc

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Agree. Worst mistake, for not just audio reasons, was wiring the house up to run off a multi zone AVR with multiple TVs, players etc all going through the AVR. 

Spent half my life rebooting each device to redo HDMI handshakes in the particular order that after trial and error was found to work.

Edited by DrSK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, betty boop said:

do you HAVE to use a 10m cable will 9.2m do ?

Perhaps not. I got the 10m to ensure it would be long enough and would be pushing for anything shorter. Unless I went in a straight line under the floor rug, which is not ideal. I was looking at 5m options just to try, because I could get one this weekend, as not getting it to work properly is doing my head in! I could possibly even get a longer one but don’t have many options out in the sticks.

Here’s the product in question just so there’s no ambiguity. https://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/10m-18gbps-fiber-optic-hybrid-4k-hdmi-cable

To my mind it checks all the boxes but obviously it’s not just about purported specifications. I’ll consider the one you recommended.

This one from the same place I bought mine looks about as good as the cable I got for less. I probably would’ve got it if I saw it then.

what is the cable pana 900 to AVR ?

I’m using the one that came with it. 4K certified. Haven’t had a problem with it before afaik, but many in/out of connectors is always a concern. Ideally you plug them in and leave, but I’ve had so many headaches and changes over the years, it doesn’t eventuate like that.

this isnt quite correct. yes not a native 4k machine but it has a 18gbps 4k hdmi full brand width chipset. so no it shouldn't be reducing your output at the player to 1080p

Good to know!

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Perhaps not. I got the 10m to ensure it would be long enough and would be pushing for anything shorter. Unless I went in a straight line under the floor rug, which is not ideal. I was looking at 5m options just to try, because I could get one this weekend, as not getting it to work properly is doing my head in! I could possibly even get a longer one but don’t have many options out in the sticks.

thats a shame... be wary of 5m options as well... they are just as suceptible.... if want to just try something. give the comsol 4k hdmi cable here a check this one $69 from office works. has worked for years for me, passes every test and everything can throw at it 

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100

not certified though... so whether works in your setup is anyone's guess with your different equipment combination. good news is office works will take it back no questions asked so can easily try and yeah just run it along the ground to check out. give it a go for some time over a bit of material etc...

Here’s the product in question just so there’s no ambiguity. https://www.auselectronicsdirect.com.au/10m-18gbps-fiber-optic-hybrid-4k-hdmi-cable

To my mind it checks all the boxes but obviously it’s not just about purported specifications. I’ll consider the one you recommended.

thats the unfortunate thing though with not certified anyones guess and whether works or not who knows... have you tried the 4kappleTV cable test ? will tell you if works with that ? clearly not working with the pana 900...

I’m using the one that came with it. 4K certified. Haven’t had a problem with it before afaik, but many in/out of connectors is always a concern. Ideally you plug them in and leave, but I’ve had so many headaches and changes over the years, it doesn’t eventuate like that

oh thats good to hear at least that variable removed re the pana 900. i would suggest you do a factory reset on it. as been playing with settings and really given your equipment combination id stay away from splitting audio - video over hdmi ... thats just a minefield dont want to go near and should be no need given your gear. 

just also work on one thing time... ie getting the projector going... take on battle on one front conquer that and then worry about anything else...

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, cwt said:

I had a look at my 900's settings and there are some traps with using both hdmi outs Ash 

1st make sure hdmi audio output mode is set to audio only ; not video + audio[ this can drop everything to 1080p because of hdmi's lowest common denominator interaction with other edids] . Secondly; hdmi [video] output mode is on auto 'not video +audio . 3rdly 24p is on auto and if set like this the 4k50/60 setting is overidden and the 900 will use less bandwidth which may help your cables . If not you know they arent the best and can get the monoprices :)

Did you get the 10/12 bit priority firmware download ok ? It is listed under the advanced hdmi menu .Set it to 12bit priority to prevent colour banding or if the epson doesnt like that 10bit . Oh and you mentioned using optical out ;  make sure audio output under advanced settings is on ; otherwise no hdmi audio at all.. You can also auto reformat 5.1 or less to 7.1 in the advanced menu :) A bit like oppo used to do with pl2 in their early players iirc

Thanks very much for checking!

While this thread was originally intended as a general whinge about (some) technology, it has become focused on troubleshooting my current issue, for which I’m thankful, because whilst getting close to watching Star Wars via my projector last night, it was still very unstable, and too late to start watching by the time it (might have) been working. So I’m pretty determined to get it working again.

Your advice on settings is related to my frustrations. While these fancy players, televisions et al have all these “capabilities” like 24p 4:4:4 12 bit yada yada, they always seem very finicky in my experience.

Anyway, there’s definitely a few things to check regarding your recommendations. Although, when I was getting an image last night, the pana did say it was outputting 4k and 24p. I’m not certain about the latter though.

Audio out hdmi is set to audio only. I think video out isn’t set to auto, so will check. And those other points give me some other leads, so cheers! It seems very much a bandwidth issue as it works intermittently and has worked before watching a 1080p Blu-ray and watching 4k (supposedly) content via Apple TV 4K. I think I have 12 bit support, but will check that too.

Fwiw, I had audio working from the pana to avr, but video was struggling from pana to pj. It would only appear occasionally. It has to be the cable to my mind. If I don’t get any joy after checking the pana for those settings later, I’ll ask for a refund on the cable. I was considering the Ruipro version from EzyHD but at more than double the price, I couldn’t justify it. 

P.S: I’ve never had so much difficulty getting electronics to work properly. But I’ve also never had a projector and a very long hdmi cable either.

Edited by Esoterica
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

if want to just try something. give the comsol 4k hdmi cable here a check this one $69 from office works

That’s definitely an option. My nearest one is 1.5 hours away but that’s not out of the question. My only closer options are Harvey Norman, Big W, Bunnings and possibly Jaycar. If I drove to Officeworks, there’s a JB, Good Guys and other electrical shops in the same town.

10 minutes ago, betty boop said:

have you tried the 4kappleTV cable test ?

What do you mean? I’ve watched ATV via projector and the cable from ATV to AVR hasn’t changed. But if you mean try the cable from pj to source, it’s only short. I do have a recently bought (Selby) 4k flat cable that I considered trying but at 3m I don’t think it’s doable. Last few times I haven’t got ATV to show via pj, so who knows? Maybe a setting was changed or just the cable only working sometimes.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

What do you mean? I’ve watched ATV via projector and the cable from ATV to AVR hasn’t changed. But if you mean try the cable from pj to source, it’s only short. I do have a recently bought (Selby) 4k flat cable that I considered trying but at 3m I don’t think it’s doable. Last few times I haven’t got ATV to show via pj, so who knows? Maybe a setting was changed or just the cable only working sometimes.

is it a 4k ATV ? 

in which case ATV to AVR, AVR to projector is connection ie conventional with AVR s hub,. and y9our fibre thing AVR to projector... now go into 4K ATV and look for cable  test as per note below, disregard the dolby vision business, just run the test will tell you if the apple tv path is up-to it. doesnt mean your pana 900 path is fine obviously jsut mean ATV is fine and working with cables have in place

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208074

Check your HDMI cable 

4K video, especially HDR10 and Dolby Vision, requires an HDMI cable compatible with these formats. Apple recommends HDMI cables that have the Compatible Dolby Vision mark as they have been tested with Apple TV 4K and a wide range of televisions. An example is the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.

If there's an issue with your HDMI cable, you might see a message on your Apple TV that says that your HDMI cable may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. To check your HDMI cable connection, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Check HDMI Connection to run a two-minute test.

If you still experience issues with your HDMI cable connection, check all of your connections and make sure that your HDMI cable has the label “Compatible Dolby Vision".

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Fwiw, I had audio working from the pana to avr, but video was struggling from pana to pj. It would only appear occasionally. It has to be the cable to my mind. If I don’t get any joy after checking the pana for those settings later, I’ll ask for a refund on the cable. I was considering the Ruipro version from EzyHD but at more than double the price, I couldn’t justify it. 

P.S: I’ve never had so much difficulty getting electronics to work properly. But I’ve also never had a projector and a very long hdmi cable either.

Many of the HDMI issues reported here are related to using very long generic cables.  Suggest getting the Ruipro cables, will save a lot of trouble in the long term...

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Many of the HDMI issues reported here are related to using very long generic cables.  Suggest getting the Ruipro cables, will save a lot of trouble in the long term...

This sounds like a job for the Lindy Cromo line again!

https://www.lindy.com.au/cables-adapters/audio-video/hdmi?cable_features=92

• Like 1
  • Moderators
24 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

the problem actually relates to finding longer length cable out there being premium certified..

Premium_2020_150x323-96i-QR.png

.not even the rui-pro is ! and it is too for OP very expensive by comparison. 

the longest premium certified have known has been the mono price at 30 ft 9.2m and hence a surety . in my case have been happily using the office works 10m comsol one for years and been faultless and passed ever test. so there are cables 10m can do the job if not willing to spend up on fibre which isnt certified anyhow...

@Esoterica

I note cable chick locally now sells a 10m premium certified cable (looks a lot like mono price premium certified) and only $89 and with 5 year warranty for peace of mind 

https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/prolink-10m-premium-certified-hdmi-cable-supports-ultra-hd-4k60hz-hdmi-20.html

maybe worth giving a go... if indeed your woes are cable related ... should eliminate cable  ... but id also work to eliminate other things eg by doing system factory resets and things and not doing things like splitting audio / video etc which are known for issues.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

in my case have been happily using the office works 10m comsol one for years and been faultless and passed ever test. so there are cables 10m can do the job if not willing to spend up on fibre which isnt certified anyhow...

You have been in the game long enough to find things that work and know how to troubleshoot. Thank goodness I never had to deal with very long HDMI cables. I also could be struggling...

• Like 1
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

You have been in the game long enough to find things that work and know how to troubleshoot. Thank goodness I never had to deal with very long HDMI cables. I also could be struggling...

hi snoopy, fortunately with hdmi, up until 4k uhd things for me over years been pretty smooth sailing to be honest. but can probably imagine me on day one of uhd with a nice new player, a projector thats capable and all updated for the format and hooking things up and staring at a blue screen :D definitely tearing hair out moment ! so can appreciate where op at ! at the time we knew little...not even the retailers knew anything. we have come a long ways since. lot more choice and very fortunately we have the premium certified cables as well now so dont have to wade through the swamp.

Will be looking to give hdmi 2.1 a wide berth though... till it all settles and well in as that looks a complete mine field and perhaps getting a bit gun shy :D 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, cwt said:

1st make sure hdmi audio output mode is set to audio only ; not video + audio[ this can drop everything to 1080p because of hdmi's lowest common denominator interaction with other edids] . Secondly; hdmi [video] output mode is on auto 'not video +audio . 3rdly 24p is on auto and if set like this the 4k50/60 setting is overidden and the 900 will use less bandwidth which may help your cables .

I just checked my settings and they were already as you suggest, although with 24p on auto, the 4k 50/60Hz can be changed from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0, which I did to see if it improves the signal transmission. There is also the option to turn that setting off.

2 hours ago, Esoterica said:

I just checked my settings and they were already as you suggest, although with 24p on auto, the 4k 50/60Hz can be changed from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0, which I did to see if it improves the signal transmission. There is also the option to turn that setting off.

Good ; yes that drops the bandwidth so you can get whats on the disc rather than the 12 bit upscaling . 

"make sure audio output under advanced settings is on ; otherwise no hdmi audio at all.. '' a VERY strange place to put a function that stops hdmi audio ; Imagine thats on too ? As mentioned I would just use the 1 hdmi out with most on auto until its established the cables are ok . '

The start up sequence is important too as each device has to communicate its edid to get what it wants :) The projector is 1st as it takes a while to boot up anyway ..

• Like 1
On 06/08/2020 at 9:01 PM, betty boop said:

I was also motivated to start a similar thread... HDMI sucks :D 

I'm more in line with this sentiment than "technology sucks". :) And more specifically HDCP 2.2 era sucks... I never had handshaking issues prior. Maybe I was lucky

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 2

But technology sucks? No way. Especially current era AV technology. When I finally got my theater room setup, I can't explain how emotional I kept getting. Perfect timing, with 4k HDR and Atmos. Other than The Abyss, there is not a single film from my life that I saw in the cinemas that my affordable home cinema setup utterly trounces with media I own. Utterly trounces. I've gotten pretty emotional early in my experience of the room seeing movies I loved from my youth in such incredible quality. Like Blade Runner UHD, The Deer Hunter UHD. It doesn't seem real that it is possible.

And OMG, remember the analog era? PAL and NTSC were both idiotically flawed systems with a frame rate set by the previously established AC power frequency. Just idiotic. And that was all we had for about 50 years. And then DVD. They actually gave PAL and NTSC a decent swan song, where suddenly we started understanding the horrors it exposed we weren't aware of, like overscan, convergence, pal speed up, 3:2 pull down. And when we finally got 16:9 material with 1080p panel TV's, we suddenly FINALLY got to see the entire image. For the first time. And unfortunately thanks to the curved period we are still stuck with vestiges of the stupid 50 and 60hz rubbish in this era. I with what Jackson tried with The Hobbit with 48hz started rather then the bullxxxx 60 hz garbage we still get - so so many digital streaming devices and platforms convert 24p material to 60p with the equivalent of 3:2 pull down. If we'd down the smart thing and gone 48 /72/96 24p material would translate perfectly. But no...

but no, technology doesn't suck. But there are still flaws. :)

Edited by Mobe1969
17 hours ago, cwt said:

Good ; yes that drops the bandwidth so you can get whats on the disc rather than the 12 bit upscaling . 

"make sure audio output under advanced settings is on ; otherwise no hdmi audio at all.. '' a VERY strange place to put a function that stops hdmi audio ; Imagine thats on too ? As mentioned I would just use the 1 hdmi out with most on auto until its established the cables are ok . '

The start up sequence is important too as each device has to communicate its edid to get what it wants :) The projector is 1st as it takes a while to boot up anyway ..

That’s what did it I think, but I reset to defaults before changing it so I’m surprised it was the default setting. I know i I’ve mucked around with that setting before, thinking that getting 4:4:4 was the pinnacle, but always had difficulty getting it to output.

This bloody pana is like a combination lock you have to put in the right code to unlock!

I also thought power sequence was important (it really shouldn’t matter) and it also complicate matters when you have have hdmi links/CEC etc. The three components all need their settings to be in sync. If that isn’t technology sucking I don’t know what is. I’ve had these sort of compatibility and handshaking issues ever since getting into 4k. The way devices make this song and dance when you dare suggest 4k and/or HDR output etc. It just seems very sensitive.

Anyway, I finally got to watch Star Wars and loved it! Pity it took so much frustration to get there.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, betty boop said:

is it a 4k ATV ? 

in which case ATV to AVR, AVR to projector is connection ie conventional with AVR s hub,. and y9our fibre thing AVR to projector... now go into 4K ATV and look for cable  test as per note below, disregard the dolby vision business, just run the test will tell you if the apple tv path is up-to it. doesnt mean your pana 900 path is fine obviously jsut mean ATV is fine and working with cables have in place

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208074

Check your HDMI cable 

4K video, especially HDR10 and Dolby Vision, requires an HDMI cable compatible with these formats. Apple recommends HDMI cables that have the Compatible Dolby Vision mark as they have been tested with Apple TV 4K and a wide range of televisions. An example is the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable.

If there's an issue with your HDMI cable, you might see a message on your Apple TV that says that your HDMI cable may be having trouble maintaining a stable connection. To check your HDMI cable connection, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Check HDMI Connection to run a two-minute test.

If you still experience issues with your HDMI cable connection, check all of your connections and make sure that your HDMI cable has the label “Compatible Dolby Vision".

Ahh ok. Yes it’s an ATV 4k but I haven’t done any test because it worked before. I may have changed a HDR setting in there since though. Another problem with all these new technologies, that you may not have on all your devices.

It will be much simpler when I get my new AVR. I was having doubts about buying it, but just the benefit of having two HDMI outs would be so useful right now. Currently I have ATV4k, Foxtel and PS4 Pro into AVR and TV out, but now I also have a projector, I have to connect it directly to whichever source I want to watch, or swap with the TV out on AVR. All the connecting and disconnecting doesn’t help getting everything to work correctly.

I should have my new AVR within a fortnight, and can connect and forget then. No need to stuff around. And until then I think I’ll just leave the projector connected to disc player.

The cable seems ok now. Must be the 4:4:4 setting which I’ve always had trouble with.

22 hours ago, Ittaku said:

This sounds like a job for the Lindy Cromo line again!

https://www.lindy.com.au/cables-adapters/audio-video/hdmi?cable_features=92

Even though the cable I have seems to be working ok now, I wish I knew about this before buying it. Would’ve possibly been ok with a 7.5m too. I did look at a few sites but thought fibre optic hdmi was necessary and they don’t seem to be as commonly available.

8 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Even though the cable I have seems to be working ok now, I wish I knew about this before buying it. Would’ve possibly been ok with a 7.5m too. I did look at a few sites but thought fibre optic hdmi was necessary and they don’t seem to be as commonly available.

The cromo line IS excellent, but bear in mind the 7.5m is advertised as "standard HDMI cable" and not high speed (the difference being 4k 4:4:4 versus 4:2:0 as discussed earlier here.) 5m is their longest high speed cable.

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
31 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

Ahh ok. Yes it’s an ATV 4k but I haven’t done any test because it worked before. I may have changed a HDR setting in there since though. Another problem with all these new technologies, that you may not have on all your devices.

thats why i keep saying and especially if prone to changing settings. just put everything to factory reset. (easy to do on apple TV 4k and pana 900) I have and or owned both. pana900 i ran at factory setting. the applets 4k runs at factory setting apart from the frame and resolution to match to source setting because I dont want the apple tv changing what's from source. 

if lot of settings been played with its hard to know if its a setting thats been misplaced ... or a component or cable issue. easiest way to bypass the settings is put all to factory 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

It will be much simpler when I get my new AVR. I was having doubts about buying it, but just the benefit of having two HDMI outs would be so useful right now. Currently I have ATV4k, Foxtel and PS4 Pro into AVR and TV out, but now I also have a projector, I have to connect it directly to whichever source I want to watch, or swap with the TV out on AVR. All the connecting and disconnecting doesn’t help getting everything to work correctly.

I thought you had a pioneer you mentioned ? and this is fully upto spec ? or is it dual hdmi only issue.... I understand now what your actual issue is ! 

yes 100% you do not want to be connecting direct to source in this situation.... when projector can only do picture and not audio !!!

either upgrade AVR as you say with dual hdmi out (there is a watch out here too - which i learnt if both device dont have same capability) 

and yes connecting and disconnecting is not at all recommended. each time you connect disconnect you chance a failure in cable or sockets. also many are still live even though units in standby so chance a hot swap to fry hdmi boards. 

get the dual out avr. a must for dual displays or get a hdmi splitter (try finding one fully upto spec though would be a waste of money if getting the avr)

• Like 2
  • Moderators
38 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

The cable seems ok now. Must be the 4:4:4 setting which I’ve always had trouble with.

4:4:4 and frame rate are two things that can throw. if wish i can post a table showing bandwidth. hymn speed cables fall over past certain length unless can pass full bandwidth. unless premium certified ... there is no guarantee as no officially certified... so you face a gamble... mostly past 2m is an issue but even shorter cables can cause problems... some gear is more finicky than others. and its an equipment combination thing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, betty boop said:

I thought you had a pioneer you mentioned ? and this is fully upto spec ? or is it dual hdmi only issue.... I understand now what your actual issue is ! 

yes 100% you do not want to be connecting direct to source in this situation.... when projector can only do picture and not audio !!!

either upgrade AVR as you say with dual hdmi out (there is a watch out here too - which i learnt if both device dont have same capability) 

and yes connecting and disconnecting is not at all recommended. each time you connect disconnect you chance a failure in cable or sockets. also many are still live even though units in standby so chance a hot swap to fry hdmi boards. 

get the dual out avr. a must for dual displays or get a hdmi splitter (try finding one fully upto spec though would be a waste of money if getting the avr)

Yes, current AVR is Pioneer VSX-932. Only has one HDMI out, which had been fine up until getting a second display. New one has two, but the second is ‘zone 2’. Hopefully that is still up to spec. I better check. I’m pretty sure the Pioneer is up to spec. It’s only from 2018 or 19. But I have current connections as such: projector > ub900 > avr (for audio) and it is working, so I’m leaving it like that lol.

It was mentioned that I’d be better off with one hdmi for audio and video, but I can’t see how I can get 5.1 without the last connection since neither the projector nor ub900 would be connected to avr then. I actually had one final hurdle last night with the audio only coming from projector. Switching hdmi cable from ub900 to avr fixed it. I would’ve thought any hdmi cable was ok for audio, but the cable may be damaged. Will remove it from this equation though. It has probably caused some issues before too, but has only been used for audio recently, as I know it’s one of the older hdmi cables I have.

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

4:4:4 and frame rate are two things that can throw. if wish i can post a table showing bandwidth. hymn speed cables fall over past certain length unless can pass full bandwidth. unless premium certified ... there is no guarantee as no officially certified... so you face a gamble... mostly past 2m is an issue but even shorter cables can cause problems... some gear is more finicky than others. and its an equipment combination thing. 

Sure, post it. I’m always having to look up hdmi and hdcp 2.2 info because I can’t remember a lot of it.