Jump to content

ikhuong

What is your plan to improve your current stereo system during the 6-week lock down?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi Victorian folks,
I am interested to know your plan to improve your audio system in the next 6 weeks?  What are sort of investment/changing that you did not think to do but this is a time for second thought/giving it a chance?

Myself, I have never thought to invest a decent Vinyl system but I did anyway, NSW has not been anywhere close to a lockdown but being wfh, I am spending so much more time with my audio system and want to discover  different directions in audio (with some sacrifice in mortgage payment and wife raised an eyebrow) :(, I pulled a trigger for a vinyl deck and phono.

 

IMG_5928.thumb.JPG.b8c7bd9761e6646109ba23e7223830d2.JPG
 

 

   IMG_5880.thumb.JPG.e94f3efb190f4a601bb47db77c83f280.JPG

 

IMG_5933.JPG

Edited by ikhuong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tax has already been spent! New phono stage and NUC for Roon Core!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yet to do my tax and been away for 6 weeks and 6 to go so im missing stage 4..

 

 

Edited by Yamaha_man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodaye

 

Stands for the TDL's.

Have to cut some steel for work tomorrow, so mysteriously may turn up.

 

Still working at the moment, deliveries only and trade pickups.

As it gets slower l have heaps of maintenence that can be done.

 

regards Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


17 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

Yet to do my tax and been away for 6 weeks and 6 to go so im missing stage 4..

 

 

You hope :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've invested in 2x new Aurealis Audio R1 Dragon silver / copper RCA's, 2x Roberson Audio Sapphire silver RCA's, a 2.5m silver Litz weave speakers cable from eBay seller Johnandchris1, and a 3m silver speaker cable from Robertson Audio.... Oh, a 2m Aurealis Audio Litz 201 speaker cable for my second system....

 

Now for mini PC's:

 

1. Beelink U57 - Intel Core I5-5257U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

2. XCY X41 - Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

3. Chatrey AN1 - AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

 

Numbers 1 and 3 will be used as HTPC's for movies etc as well as Roon Bridges with the Roon interface installed and number 2 will be a dedicated Roon Server running off the same gigabit switch as my NAS.

 

Have my Victor TT-Y5 off for a recap and installing RCA connectors, as well as the initial purchase of the table displacing my previous S.A.M. Aldebaran. 

 

Replaced my Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 3 preamp with a DACGEAR LDR Pre Mk2.

 

Changed the caps on my tweeters for a Duelund CAST Cu-Sn.... Bypassed the Miflex KPCU-1 in my Wavebourn Edelweiss-3 power amp with 0.01uf Cornell Dubillier dipped silver mica caps.

 

Roon Lifetime subscription and Tidal subscription.

 

Changed my Muji Studio DAC II for a very nice Chinese made TDA1540D DAC, implemented in NOS mode with a very nice fully discrete output stage.

 

Empire EDR9, Supex SD900 Super II and Garrott P87 cartridges..... An AKSA Paris headamp after the sale of my two Hashimoto SUT's.

 

I think that's it..... Probably more but that's all I can think of.... Listing it off.... I think I might have a bit of a problem guys.  :(

 

Haven't done our tax yet.... Might try to bank it.

Edited by MattyW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The tax returns have came and went but managed to buy a nice pair of Sennheiser HD 700 anyway.  My target for this year is to get the power cables on my main system sorted, namely to upgrade their connectors with some decent ones from Furutech. Then, score a decently priced Dragonfly Red or a Chord Mojo to power those finicky Sennheisers.

 

But then again, I live in Adelaide, so I'll probably go to work every single day and have no time to think about throwing money out the window, as my wife puts it.

Edited by s7e6e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

Yet to do my tax and been away for 6 weeks and 6 to go so im missing stage 4..

 

 

So your plan is to raise some budget firstly, hope you get it soon before starting to shop , lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, MattyW said:

I've invested in 2x new Aurealis Audio R1 Dragon silver / copper RCA's, 2x Roberson Audio Sapphire silver RCA's, a 2.5m silver Litz weave speakers cable from eBay seller Johnandchris1, and a 3m silver speaker cable from Robertson Audio.... Oh, a 2m Aurealis Audio Litz 201 speaker cable for my second system....

 

Now for mini PC's:

 

1. Beelink U57 - Intel Core I5-5257U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

2. XCY X41 - Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

3. Chatrey AN1 - AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

 

Numbers 1 and 3 will be used as HTPC's for movies etc as well as Roon Bridges with the Roon interface installed and number 2 will be a dedicated Roon Server running off the same gigabit switch as my NAS.

 

Have my Victor TT-Y5 off for a recap and installing RCA connectors, as well as the initial purchase of the table displacing my previous S.A.M. Aldebaran. 

 

Replaced my Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 3 preamp with a DACGEAR LDR Pre Mk2.

 

Changed the caps on my tweeters for a Duelund CAST Cu-Sn.... Bypassed the Miflex KPCU-1 in my Wavebourn Edelweiss-3 power amp with 0.01uf Cornell Dubillier dipped silver mica caps.

 

Roon Lifetime subscription and Tidal subscription.

 

Changed my Muji Studio DAC II for a very nice Chinese made TDA1540D DAC, implemented in NOS mode with a very nice fully discrete output stage.

 

Empire EDR9, Supex SD900 Super II and Garrott P87 cartridges..... An AKSA Paris headamp after the sale of my two Hashimoto SUT's.

 

I think that's it..... Probably more but that's all I can think of.... Listing it off.... I think I might have a bit of a problem guys.  :(

 

Haven't done our tax yet.... Might try to bank it.

wow this is quite a long list which has been done during "at home more" time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

So your plan is to raise some budget firstly, hope you get it soon before starting to shop , lol

My plan is to make some cash while I still have a job.

 

Edited by Yamaha_man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

wow this is quite a long list which has been done during "at home more" time

Yeah, I need to stop hey 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is to replace my miniDSP 10x10HD.  Currently, I run this in 2x8 mode, so:

  • digital in
  • 8x analogue channels out (sub / bass / mid / ribbon, either side)
  • at 96kHz

with:

  • a nanoDIGI 2x8 (digital in & 4x digital out), running at 96kHz
  • plus 4x Topping E30 DACs - to give me my 8x analogue channels out.

What this does is give me better output DACs than are used in the miniDSP 10x10HD.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I want to buy some high end headphones. Already got HifiMan He-1000 v2 and Focal Elegia, but seems like these days people are holding onto their headphones, as evidence by the lack of new listings for headphones in the classifieds section (at least that’s what I’m seeing, maybe I’m wrong or I’ve missed a few).


And for good reason too. Now has never been a better time to really bond with the music and Hifi/AV in general. There’s always positives, despite the situation we find ourselves in currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 months ago we moved house and I've still got a pretty long 'to-do' list. 

It's 10 acres and there's all sorts of stuff that needs doing around the property.

Basic Hifi/AV setups were all done early on, but the mounting and cabling of the surround speakers is still to do. 

Hoping it will be done by end of lock-down, but if the weather is reasonable on the weekends, the chainsaw, brush-cutter, post-hole digger, fence strainer, etc. are taking precedence!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Munce31 said:

I want to buy some high end headphones. Already got HifiMan He-1000 v2 and Focal Elegia, but seems like these days people are holding onto their headphones, as evidence by the lack of new listings for headphones in the classifieds section (at least that’s what I’m seeing, maybe I’m wrong or I’ve missed a few).


And for good reason too. Now has never been a better time to really bond with the music and Hifi/AV in general. There’s always positives, despite the situation we find ourselves in currently. 

Could be, I can imagine when most household members are at home and living room is a shared space, headphone is the one great solution unless people have dedicated man cage.

 

Or maybe you should wait a bit more, people will get bored after 2-3 weeks lockdown and list/change something

Edited by ikhuong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ready for it...new amp to get used to. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

Could be, I can imagine when most household members are at home and living room is a shared space, headphone is the one great solution unless people have dedicated man cage.

 

Or maybe you should wait a bit more, people will get bored after 2-3 weeks lockdown and list/change something

Yeah I’m not in any rush, so I’ll keep an eye on the classifieds. 
 

You’re absolutely right about the headphones and the shared spaces. My Focal Elegia’s have been getting more use than planar HifiMan he1k’s. They’ve got great ambient noise isolation despite being passive. Sounds great too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a nice pair of Monoprice Monolith M1060 headphonescin the classifieds right now.  I really rate these.... The M1060C is better though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MattyW said:

There's a nice pair of Monoprice Monolith M1060 headphonescin the classifieds right now.  I really rate these.... The M1060C is better though 

Yep seen them. I’m looking in the higher end of the spectrum though. Focal Clear/Utopia or Meze Empyrean (missed out on those just yesterday). I need to be more attentive with the classifieds section 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

Nothing, happy with what I have at the moment.

 

Cheers,

 

JJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Posted (edited)

My plan is getting out of Victoria and never coming back.

 

With the stereo and music in tow of course.

 

 

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to start finally looking at the room itself! I can't audition components easily at the moment, surprise surprise, and speakers are sorted for a while now, so room seems like the next place to check out. And likely to give the biggest gains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Fangzie said:

Time to start finally looking at the room itself! I can't audition components easily at the moment, surprise surprise, and speakers are sorted for a while now, so room seems like the next place to check out. And likely to give the biggest gains

I changed my speakers to fire to the long side wall last month,, the improvement is impressing and equally replaces a better amplifier or a new speaker

Edited by ikhuong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fordute said:

My plan is getting out of Victoria and never coming back.

 

With the stereo and music in tow of course.

 

 

+1

 

I'll be using my time in the interim to rewire my speakers before figuring out how I'm going to safely pack them for shipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps some of us are more fortunate than other right now, in still working and being able to contemplate indulging some audio desires. I guess I am in that group and have pre-empted the six week lockdown a few weeks ago having become a little bored with the groundhog nature of WFH. Got into streaming by jumping straight to an Auralic Vega G2.1 Streaming DAC. Also jumped on board Roon for life. Just fantastic, playing a lot more music now, why wouldn’t you with the quality of the Vega! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...