What is your plan to improve your current stereo system during the 6-week lock down?

Hi Victorian folks,
I am interested to know your plan to improve your audio system in the next 6 weeks?  What are sort of investment/changing that you did not think to do but this is a time for second thought/giving it a chance?

Myself, I have never thought to invest a decent Vinyl system but I did anyway, NSW has not been anywhere close to a lockdown but being wfh, I am spending so much more time with my audio system and want to discover  different directions in audio (with some sacrifice in mortgage payment and wife raised an eyebrow) :(, I pulled a trigger for a vinyl deck and phono.

IMG_5928.thumb.JPG.b8c7bd9761e6646109ba23e7223830d2.JPG

IMG_5880.thumb.JPG.e94f3efb190f4a601bb47db77c83f280.JPG

IMG_5933.JPG

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Victorian folks, I am interested to know your plan to improve your audio system in the next 6 weeks?  What are sort of investment/changing that you did not think to do but this is a time for seco

My plan is to make some cash while I still have a job.  

I am in Sydney and firstly let me sympathise with those of you South of the border in lock down again. I quite like the isolation and no traffic BUT for those who are work affected - I feel for you.

Yet to do my tax and been away for 6 weeks and 6 to go so im missing stage 4..

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 1

Goodaye

Stands for the TDL's.

Have to cut some steel for work tomorrow, so mysteriously may turn up.

Still working at the moment, deliveries only and trade pickups.

As it gets slower l have heaps of maintenence that can be done.

regards Bruce

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Yamaha_man said:

You hope :(

• Like 2

I've invested in 2x new Aurealis Audio R1 Dragon silver / copper RCA's, 2x Roberson Audio Sapphire silver RCA's, a 2.5m silver Litz weave speakers cable from eBay seller Johnandchris1, and a 3m silver speaker cable from Robertson Audio.... Oh, a 2m Aurealis Audio Litz 201 speaker cable for my second system....

Now for mini PC's:

1. Beelink U57 - Intel Core I5-5257U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

2. XCY X41 - Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

3. Chatrey AN1 - AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Numbers 1 and 3 will be used as HTPC's for movies etc as well as Roon Bridges with the Roon interface installed and number 2 will be a dedicated Roon Server running off the same gigabit switch as my NAS.

Have my Victor TT-Y5 off for a recap and installing RCA connectors, as well as the initial purchase of the table displacing my previous S.A.M. Aldebaran. 

Replaced my Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 3 preamp with a DACGEAR LDR Pre Mk2.

Changed the caps on my tweeters for a Duelund CAST Cu-Sn.... Bypassed the Miflex KPCU-1 in my Wavebourn Edelweiss-3 power amp with 0.01uf Cornell Dubillier dipped silver mica caps.

Roon Lifetime subscription and Tidal subscription.

Changed my Muji Studio DAC II for a very nice Chinese made TDA1540D DAC, implemented in NOS mode with a very nice fully discrete output stage.

Empire EDR9, Supex SD900 Super II and Garrott P87 cartridges..... An AKSA Paris headamp after the sale of my two Hashimoto SUT's.

I think that's it..... Probably more but that's all I can think of.... Listing it off.... I think I might have a bit of a problem guys.  :(

Haven't done our tax yet.... Might try to bank it.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The tax returns have came and went but managed to buy a nice pair of Sennheiser HD 700 anyway.  My target for this year is to get the power cables on my main system sorted, namely to upgrade their connectors with some decent ones from Furutech. Then, score a decently priced Dragonfly Red or a Chord Mojo to power those finicky Sennheisers.

But then again, I live in Adelaide, so I'll probably go to work every single day and have no time to think about throwing money out the window, as my wife puts it.

Edited by s7e6e
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

So your plan is to raise some budget firstly, hope you get it soon before starting to shop , lol

2 hours ago, MattyW said:

I've invested in 2x new Aurealis Audio R1 Dragon silver / copper RCA's, 2x Roberson Audio Sapphire silver RCA's, a 2.5m silver Litz weave speakers cable from eBay seller Johnandchris1, and a 3m silver speaker cable from Robertson Audio.... Oh, a 2m Aurealis Audio Litz 201 speaker cable for my second system....

Now for mini PC's:

1. Beelink U57 - Intel Core I5-5257U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD

2. XCY X41 - Intel Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

3. Chatrey AN1 - AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Numbers 1 and 3 will be used as HTPC's for movies etc as well as Roon Bridges with the Roon interface installed and number 2 will be a dedicated Roon Server running off the same gigabit switch as my NAS.

Have my Victor TT-Y5 off for a recap and installing RCA connectors, as well as the initial purchase of the table displacing my previous S.A.M. Aldebaran. 

Replaced my Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 3 preamp with a DACGEAR LDR Pre Mk2.

Changed the caps on my tweeters for a Duelund CAST Cu-Sn.... Bypassed the Miflex KPCU-1 in my Wavebourn Edelweiss-3 power amp with 0.01uf Cornell Dubillier dipped silver mica caps.

Roon Lifetime subscription and Tidal subscription.

Changed my Muji Studio DAC II for a very nice Chinese made TDA1540D DAC, implemented in NOS mode with a very nice fully discrete output stage.

Empire EDR9, Supex SD900 Super II and Garrott P87 cartridges..... An AKSA Paris headamp after the sale of my two Hashimoto SUT's.

I think that's it..... Probably more but that's all I can think of.... Listing it off.... I think I might have a bit of a problem guys.  :(

Haven't done our tax yet.... Might try to bank it.

wow this is quite a long list which has been done during "at home more" time

36 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

So your plan is to raise some budget firstly, hope you get it soon before starting to shop , lol

My plan is to make some cash while I still have a job.

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

wow this is quite a long list which has been done during "at home more" time

Yeah, I need to stop hey 

• Like 1

Mine is to replace my miniDSP 10x10HD.  Currently, I run this in 2x8 mode, so:

• digital in
  • 8x analogue channels out (sub / bass / mid / ribbon, either side)
  • at 96kHz

with:

• a nanoDIGI 2x8 (digital in & 4x digital out), running at 96kHz
  • plus 4x Topping E30 DACs - to give me my 8x analogue channels out.

What this does is give me better output DACs than are used in the miniDSP 10x10HD.

Andy

• Like 3

I want to buy some high end headphones. Already got HifiMan He-1000 v2 and Focal Elegia, but seems like these days people are holding onto their headphones, as evidence by the lack of new listings for headphones in the classifieds section (at least that’s what I’m seeing, maybe I’m wrong or I’ve missed a few).

And for good reason too. Now has never been a better time to really bond with the music and Hifi/AV in general. There’s always positives, despite the situation we find ourselves in currently. 

• Like 1

4 months ago we moved house and I've still got a pretty long 'to-do' list. 

It's 10 acres and there's all sorts of stuff that needs doing around the property.

Basic Hifi/AV setups were all done early on, but the mounting and cabling of the surround speakers is still to do. 

Hoping it will be done by end of lock-down, but if the weather is reasonable on the weekends, the chainsaw, brush-cutter, post-hole digger, fence strainer, etc. are taking precedence!

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Munce31 said:

I want to buy some high end headphones. Already got HifiMan He-1000 v2 and Focal Elegia, but seems like these days people are holding onto their headphones, as evidence by the lack of new listings for headphones in the classifieds section (at least that’s what I’m seeing, maybe I’m wrong or I’ve missed a few).

And for good reason too. Now has never been a better time to really bond with the music and Hifi/AV in general. There’s always positives, despite the situation we find ourselves in currently. 

Could be, I can imagine when most household members are at home and living room is a shared space, headphone is the one great solution unless people have dedicated man cage.

Or maybe you should wait a bit more, people will get bored after 2-3 weeks lockdown and list/change something

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

Could be, I can imagine when most household members are at home and living room is a shared space, headphone is the one great solution unless people have dedicated man cage.

Or maybe you should wait a bit more, people will get bored after 2-3 weeks lockdown and list/change something

Yeah I’m not in any rush, so I’ll keep an eye on the classifieds. 

You’re absolutely right about the headphones and the shared spaces. My Focal Elegia’s have been getting more use than planar HifiMan he1k’s. They’ve got great ambient noise isolation despite being passive. Sounds great too! 

There's a nice pair of Monoprice Monolith M1060 headphonescin the classifieds right now.  I really rate these.... The M1060C is better though 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MattyW said:

There's a nice pair of Monoprice Monolith M1060 headphonescin the classifieds right now.  I really rate these.... The M1060C is better though 

Yep seen them. I’m looking in the higher end of the spectrum though. Focal Clear/Utopia or Meze Empyrean (missed out on those just yesterday). I need to be more attentive with the classifieds section 😬

Hi All,

Nothing, happy with what I have at the moment.

Cheers,

JJ

• Like 6

My plan is getting out of Victoria and never coming back.

With the stereo and music in tow of course.

Edited by Guest

Time to start finally looking at the room itself! I can't audition components easily at the moment, surprise surprise, and speakers are sorted for a while now, so room seems like the next place to check out. And likely to give the biggest gains

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Fangzie said:

Time to start finally looking at the room itself! I can't audition components easily at the moment, surprise surprise, and speakers are sorted for a while now, so room seems like the next place to check out. And likely to give the biggest gains

I changed my speakers to fire to the long side wall last month,, the improvement is impressing and equally replaces a better amplifier or a new speaker

Edited by ikhuong
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Fordute said:

My plan is getting out of Victoria and never coming back.

With the stereo and music in tow of course.

+1

I'll be using my time in the interim to rewire my speakers before figuring out how I'm going to safely pack them for shipping.

• Like 1

Perhaps some of us are more fortunate than other right now, in still working and being able to contemplate indulging some audio desires. I guess I am in that group and have pre-empted the six week lockdown a few weeks ago having become a little bored with the groundhog nature of WFH. Got into streaming by jumping straight to an Auralic Vega G2.1 Streaming DAC. Also jumped on board Roon for life. Just fantastic, playing a lot more music now, why wouldn’t you with the quality of the Vega! 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, mjs said:

Perhaps some of us are more fortunate than other right now, in still working and being able to contemplate indulging some audio desires. I guess I am in that group and have pre-empted the six week lockdown a few weeks ago having become a little bored with the groundhog nature of WFH. Got into streaming by jumping straight to an Auralic Vega G2.1 Streaming DAC. Also jumped on board Roon for life. Just fantastic, playing a lot more music now, why wouldn’t you with the quality of the Vega! 

I must say, streaming DAC which integrates the native Roon Bridge is very attractive concept for my office and bedroom.  My 2 main systems have reference level discrete R2R DAC's and also have the requirements for a HTPC so my wife can access Chinese streaming sites so a Mini PV hooked up is better.

Gah. Stop giving me ideas. I should just be happy with a Raspberry Pi5 running RoPieeeXL in these locations.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After sitting under my desk in my study for 2 years I’ve finally put in my new power amp and pre amp.

I’d been so unwilling to do it because of how much I hate the cabling work, so over $15k of gear just sat there listless for the longest time.

after staging it up in my lounge it’s almost in the right places now.

And soundwise? night and day positive difference, so very glad I finally set up my HT bypass and put in the new, much higher power, power amp.

Minidsp is installed too so now subs run from both the 2 channel and the HT pre.

2710BC2E-B0E9-427C-9F38-200D2B1B77F6.jpeg

9F97E878-14EE-4FB9-80E2-7620360F6C75.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Already tweaked everything I could think of last time. Now just burning valve hours.

• Like 7

Good Idea for the thread!!

Mine is more tweeks than adding on, but with tweeks can come the need for further tweeks to correct any issues that arise from the new tweeks haha!!  The cycle of tweeks, I am sure we all know them well!!

Thus far I have got around to -

* Wall mounting the TV

* Building a new HiFi Rack

* Now I am fussing about with a minor speaker placment issue and what I believe to be sound reflections/reinforcement.

* My last thing to do is get a Toslink splitter so I can choose to watch TV and YouTube etc either via my AVR or Integrated.

After that I'd like to think I am done (for now)

Some links...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, recur said:

After sitting under my desk in my study for 2 years I’ve finally put in my new power amp and pre amp.

I’d been so unwilling to do it because of how much I hate the cabling work, so over $15k of gear just sat there listless for the longest time.

after staging it up in my lounge it’s almost in the right places now.

And soundwise? night and day positive difference, so very glad I finally set up my HT bypass and put in the new, much higher power, power amp.

Minidsp is installed too so now subs run from both the 2 channel and the HT pre.

2710BC2E-B0E9-427C-9F38-200D2B1B77F6.jpeg

9F97E878-14EE-4FB9-80E2-7620360F6C75.jpeg

You'll need to disconnect all that when it's time to shoehorn it all into your entertainment unit.... You can also save space by using a Mini PC (or Mac Mini if that's your thing) and wireless keyboard with trackpad with your TV as the monitor. ;)

11 minutes ago, MattyW said:

You'll need to disconnect all that when it's time to shoehorn it all into your entertainment unit.... You can also save space by using a Mini PC (or Mac Mini if that's your thing) and wireless keyboard with trackpad with your TV as the monitor. ;)

I have a wireless keyboard and trackpad with my Mac Mini, with the Mini plugged into a Pio 50" plasma if I need to see something. Very convenient

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mjs said:

I have a wireless keyboard and trackpad with my Mac Mini, with the Mini plugged into a Pio 50" plasma if I need to see something. Very convenient

Yes, a great way to do things  :)

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

I have a MacMini and wireless keyboard. You can see both in the pics. The keyboard and mouse are on the entertainment cabinet and the Mac mini is on top of my CD player unplugged. 

I was using the laptop to configure the MiniDSP and had the TV disconnected at this point in time. It's all been disconnected and then reconnected in situ. The cabinet is still a foot away form the wall while I tidy up and re-test. 

I installed my new Manley Chinook phono yesterday. One more thing to plug in and the. I can shove it back against the wall again.

9AD3D028-1A36-4EED-B0EF-21ACEBA136D4.jpeg

Edited by recur
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I will be enjoying a lot of time at home, so I plan to improve mine by turning it on early and off late.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, recur said:

9F97E878-14EE-4FB9-80E2-7620360F6C75.jpeg 9AD3D028-1A36-4EED-B0EF-21ACEBA136D4.jpeg

Nice work, this must take you a day, this reminds me funny cabling work in networking

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.162f3da9ee501a8dd6edef83c70a3415.jpg2215694547_54a425c877_o.jpg.cb578f7f4aff6debe836688269c1b51b.jpg

dad3032ba10ecae814a63025f3fffc78_large.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1