$100 6922 budget - what durable, low-noise tubes should i consider?

17 hours ago, fell off the boat said:

Philips SQ E88CC gold pins made in Holland. I use this wherever I have to use 6922. I think it's rated 10,000 hours so it's certainly worth the money.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-E88CC-6922-SQ-goldpin-single-tube-NOS-tested-on-Avo-163-valves-tubes/283968817671 

You can try Siemens or Valvo or Telefunken of E88CC gold pins to suit your system.

The best ones are the pinched waist. They are excellent and this is what I like best...but the price is just too astronomical.

Thanks for that - like the idea of a Philips but oh boy - postage is astronomical for a single valve!  Would be close to $100 landed - will think on this.  

I think i'll get a JJ 6922 gold pin or EH gold pin  for the minute and then wait for a suitable locally available NOS (ot two) to come up - looks like the siemens and philips models mentioned are well worth pursuing.

BTW - not sure if any of you have seen this comparison: https://tubedepot.com/pages/tube-comparison-tool

I'ld be interested in views on this - the jj appears very warm which is what I would prefer for voicing (as well as very quiet).

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

That's confusing.

For a start I was under the impression that New Sensor bought that variety of brand names around 2001, that they attribute to Electro-Harmonix :unsure:

They did, the article is not accurate.

Must be an older article also as SED stopped producing Winged C's a few years ago now.

Edit: oh, It's dated 2020, so if they have SED wrong what else do they have incorrect? They also spelt Sovtek (not Sovtec) incorrectly?

Production of SED glass tubes ceased in 2012 and there is currently no intention to recommence production. The remaining supplies of tubes is limited and are treated as NOS stock and priced accordingly.

Any change from this situation will be announced as soon as practicable..

From the SED site.

http://www.sedtubes.com/

Edited by muon*

Guest rmpfyf
19 hours ago, fell off the boat said:

Philips SQ E88CC gold pins made in Holland. I use this wherever I have to use 6922. I think it's rated 10,000 hours so it's certainly worth the money.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-E88CC-6922-SQ-goldpin-single-tube-NOS-tested-on-Avo-163-valves-tubes/283968817671 

You can try Siemens or Valvo or Telefunken of E88CC gold pins to suit your system.

The best ones are the pinched waist. They are excellent and this is what I like best...but the price is just too astronomical.

Beautiful tube, not $100 :D I was going to suggest Amperex but even they're pricey now.

Will second Langrex, very good to deal with. 

Gotta convince other manufacturers to make 6DJ8 derivs :) 

Edited by rmpfyf

11 minutes ago, tntman said:

Yes - these are late 1960's and just before the A frame version and sound very airy up top.

• Like 1

Just re-thinking the OP's initial post it's clear to me that a higher heater voltage spec and the lowest noise floor in the tube is critical.

Therefore, there isn't much available out there other than an A frame constructed PCC88/7DJ8 tube. These were purposely built to have the lowest noise floor and zero microphonics out of all the PCC88 / 7DJ8 range.

In historical order from earliest to latest, these tubes were only made in 3 plants across Europe including: Philips Heerlen, Holland; Mullard Blackburn, Great Britain; and Ei Niš, Yugoslavia.

Edited by xlr8or

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice folks - i've taken the plunge and ordered some Amperex/Philips NOS PC88s (A Frame) from the US - will report back here once they're installed (prob 6 weeks or so given the state of US postal service).  

Edited by wadiman
  • Like 2

Guest deanB
1 hour ago, wadiman said:

prob 6 weeks or so given the state of US postal service

Only took 4 weeks for my last US order- La Crosse, FLA > Perth, WA. That's only about 8-10 days longer than pre-covid delivery times.

Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, wadiman said:

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice folks - i've taken the plunge and ordered some Amperex/Philips NOS PC88s (A Frame) from the US - will report back here once they're installed (prob 6 weeks or so given the state of US postal service).  

If your CJ runs the heater circuit hot you could be onto a winner. 

I recently bought a matched pair of NOS General Electric and a pair of Tesla 6922s from this bloke...

https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Lowtechelec

Just over aud$150 incl. shipping, which compared to other sources seems good value, i.e: ~$65/pair, figuring $20 for shipping, but one of the reasons I got them was wanting to try some tubes that weren’t available from places like the valve store et al.  I haven’t done extensive searching but it seems people charge a lot for the NOS stuff locally. I wanted to do some tube rolling without spending heaps.

On 08/08/2020 at 9:24 AM, xlr8or said:

@tntman I hope you have bought them. They are in fact from 1967 and  not 1977 as suggested by the seller. This may help explain the low price.

They’re still available, unless they are selling more than one pair. So AUD$170 delivered is a good price for those?

• Like 1