Upgrade from Lenehan ML2 Reference

2 minutes ago, kelossus said:

@acg What speakers do you have that are 2.4m tall?

6-way horn loudspeakers.  DIY though...I could never afford to pay retail if anyone actually ever sold something like them, although Cessaro Gamma II or Omega I are reasonably similar in topology (mine are better looking...haha).  Certainly not point source, but if you sit on the centreline of the speakers from right in between to as far back as you want to go they utterly disappear.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I think I can relate and would describe the same hard narrow sound on some albums. I have the same dimension room, ML2+Rs driven by an early Metaxas Soliloquy. Similar speaker positions too. 

However I have found it to be entirely due to the loudness war recordings with high compression on some CDs. Even some remasters on Spotify are vastly better than CD running through the same DAC. Full open sound that pops wide.

I never noticed this on speakers previously that aren't as clean and crisp as the ML2s and think cabinet radiation and distortion masks this effect. Seems to me it is the superb ML2 imaging and inertness that highlights the issue in the recording, which was probably never intended for hifi. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/08/2020 at 1:12 AM, emulator said:

I've not got mine totally dialled position wise yet, but one of the two niggles I have is that at low/casual listening volumes, the bass that is abundantly present at higher volumes is a bit repressed (it is there but it's not as prominent in the overall character).

Found that is really an artefact of my very imperfect room and speaker positioning, as well as source (who would have thunk it?!). Small adjustments make discernible differences in all aspects of the sound. Currently sounding pretty awesome, and the bass levels  and quality can be insane with the right recordings and a few extra watts. 

An update on the above update... got busy on the weekend and moved some furniture to allow better placement of the ML2s. Oh boy. What a night and day difference. I’d obviously been totally lucky with the old speakers (AE Ref 1) and how they worked in the room. 

I did some measurements with REW and tidied up a bass suck and my messy reflection laden room top end via Roon and almost came to tears a few times with how amazing some music was sounding last night. Seriously outstanding set of speakers the ML2. scarily transparent and detailed with so much poise all the way through the frequency range. 

Edited by emulator
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, emulator said:

An update on the above update... got busy on the weekend and moved some furniture to allow better placement of the ML2s. Oh boy. What a night and day difference. I’d obviously been totally lucky with the old speakers (AE Ref 1) and how they worked in the room. 

I did some measurements with REW and tidied up a bass suck and my messy reflection laden room top end via Roon and almost came to tears a few times with how amazing some music was sounding last night. Seriously outstanding set of speakers the ML2. scarily transparent and detailed with so much poise all the way through the frequency range. 

Speakers are like buying real estate, position position position 

So, 

I have been very busy the last few weeks and so haven't had much time to explore options.

I have played around with placement in the room and essentially ended up with the ML2 back pretty much exactlty where they have been the whole time. I have messed about with a few different speaker cables and various spikes etc under the stands just to see if any of that made much difference. 

There were differences created but none of them really helped get the exact result i am looking for.

I did have the opportunity to listen to some Dali Epicon 8 with my Dev 400...

Not in my room but best i have been able to do so far.

If the sound i get in my room is anything like i experienced my search is pretty much done.

I am kind of surprised that Dali (if they are as good in general as the Epicon ) don't get way more love in Australia.

Maybe that is because they were sold through JB Hifi for a while and thus not taken seriously.

Thus far The Dali Epican 8 is the best floorstander i have auditioned.

The bass is rich and tight with loads of texture and detail.

Soundstage depth and width is very very good. 

Compared to all the other speakers i have tried so far they seem to have a really really big sweet spot in which to listen without the soundstage collapsing..

Treble is fabulous to my ears, very smooth but still detailed.

Now, the area i was trying to improve on... when playing loud, dense busy music everything stays together with no loss of stage depth and seperation. Not sure the midrange is as accurate as the Lenehan but it is a joy to listen to.

My next task is to get to listen to them at home as i do have a fear they may be too big for the room.

If not, i think i have found my next speakers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have had the Dali Epicon 8 at home for a few weeks now and enjoying them a lot.

Still have the Lenehans as well and i have swaped them in and out a couple of times.

The Dali are staying.

I think as previously mentioned the fact that they have multiple mid and bass drivers really does make a difference to a lot of music. I think the Lenehans are actually better with Solo Guitar but not Piano, voices are the tiniest smidgen clearer ( sometimes i am not sure ) with the Lenahan but when the music gets big the Dalis pull well ahead.

As ever with this hobby i wonder about many other options i could have taken.

Second guessing a choice doesn't help with the enjoyment of  music though.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Saunter said:

I have had the Dali Epicon 8 at home for a few weeks now and enjoying them a lot.

Still have the Lenehans as well and i have swaped them in and out a couple of times.

The Dali are staying.

I think as previously mentioned the fact that they have multiple mid and bass drivers really does make a difference to a lot of music. I think the Lenehans are actually better with Solo Guitar but not Piano, voices are the tiniest smidgen clearer ( sometimes i am not sure ) with the Lenahan but when the music gets big the Dalis pull well ahead.

As ever with this hobby i wonder about many other options i could have taken.

Second guessing a choice doesn't help with the enjoyment of  music though.

Cheers

@Saunter Photos or they never happened! They do look like an amazing speaker and I’ve enjoyed some of the Dali offerings further down the rungs, would love to hear a set one day.

cheers,

Andrew