Roon endpoint and DAC with balanced outputs

As I am stuck at home for another six weeks, I would like to move my balanced Schiit headphone amp and my headphones into my temporary study.

What I'm missing is  a Roon endpoint and a DAC - what are reasonably cost effective solutions (one or two box solution) that will give me a balanced analogue output. I don't want to use my work laptop as the endpoint - it's very restricted in what I can install, and I can't use the output easily because of headsets etc

Squeeezebox Touch as endpoint, USB out via EDO app into dac of choice with balanced output. Something like this?

The SB Touch also has digital coax out, or another option is the Google Chromecast Audio optical out, just to a different dac.

5 minutes ago, Mightygrey said:

Google Chromecast Audio hooked-up to a Schiit Modius via Optical. 

Where can I get the Modius in Australia? A2A (where I got my Mjolnir from) not showing it. Is it still arriving?

Cambridge DacMagic Plus is about the cheapest good DAC with balanced out. You could use Chromecast Audio as the endpoint with optical out into the DAC. Apparently the Chromecast has much better audio performance as a Roon endpoint than just normal "casting"

7 minutes ago, barbz127 said:

Balanced DAC with a raspberry pi is a good bet, install ropiee or similar.

What budget are you working with?

Probably in the hundreds rather than over a grand, but I genuinely didn't know until people started posting. The chromecast/mobius is probably my preferred option at this stage, RPi considered if I can find an essentially pre-assembled solution

I'd quite like to use the balanced amp/ headphones I currently have in the hifi room

Edited by Mr_Gimlet

I have a Gieseler Klein III (late model, built Aug 2019) and the top of the range Enhanced Gold Tune Kraftwerk linear PS. The Klein III is exceptional for the price and has balanced and unbalanced outputs. 

I need to advertise these in the very near future, because it's USB input only and I need a coax/optical option since I have recently moved to using a miniDSP SHD Studio streamer/DSP engine that has coax and optical OPs only.

The Klein is great even with the SMPS it comes with, but the Kraftwerk also elevates it significantly again.

Edited by lenticularis

I’ve just put together a Raspberry Pi 4 in a Flirc case running Ropieee as a Roon endpoint. Feeding a Schiit Modius via USB then balanced out to a MF balanced headamp. Darko has an excellent video on Youtube on how to do the Ropiee setup. Very pleased with the result. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, despite the best efforts of the international postal system, I am up and running. Running hifiberry OS as a Roon endpoint on a Raspberry Pi 4 with a HiFiBerry DAC+ XLR into my Schiit Mjonir and then HD800s.

Pretty easy to assemble and set up.

Thanks to @recur for a bit of technical support when it wasn't powering up properly.

20200827_132511.jpg

20200828_111000.jpg

• Like 2