Upgrade from Denon dl 110 on medium mass arm

Hi all 

Seeking some advice from more learned folk than I!

I need to upgrade my dl 110 on a sansui sr 525 arm, the effective mass is around 16 grams for the arm. 
I really like the full bodied lush sound And wide soundstage of the Denon, just thinking about a cart that would give me more of what the Denon Gives me. 

My other table, a thorens 125 Mk II, has an ortofon cadenza blue on it and I’m digging its fast and transparent presentation.

I like the Denon as a completely different Sonic presentation, on a direct drive.
MC or MM is fine.

phono stage is icon audio ps1.2 valve PHONO PRE. 

many thanks in advance 

34 minutes ago, Doppelganger said:

Not sure what sort of budget you’re looking at but two relatively affordable carts that really stand out for me when it comes to full bodied and lush sound are the ZYX Bloom R50 and the EAT Jo No.5.

Ok these look like overkill for the modest table Sansui sr 525. Could you recommend anything else that is $700 or under?

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

Any experience with the vessel R3SS? Or any vessels of that line up? 

Not heard the Vessel, sorry.

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

I have a dynavector 20x2 sitting around needing a retip, any idea how that would go on a medium mass arm? 
could be a cost effective way to go. 

The 20X2 is a very good cart and well worth getting a retip IMO. It would match well with a medium mass arm. Is it the high output or low? 

22 hours ago, Maynard said:

Thankyou for the reply, I’ll look into these they sound interesting...

Oh yes... budget, I think max around $700. Anyone else care to chime in ?

Vessel vivid line up (LP gear) the boron is amazing. You can get similar from Decibel hifi which is a similar body (vessel slightly lower output and slightly better, but the Jico one from Decibel hifi is a total bargain. It sound better than most of my MC's not all but I have some very expensive ones. The Jico punches well above its weight, I have maybe 60 carts and it is in the top 5.

Chris

8 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

look at MM carts.

Unfortunately they’re out of stock but one is obtainable from eBay. 
these look interesting and well priced. 
what do you like most about this model cafe latte and what genres do you feel it excels in?

Just now, Maynard said:

Unfortunately they’re out of stock but one is obtainable from eBay. 
these look interesting and well priced. 
what do you like most about this model cafe latte and what genres do you feel it excels in?

I have really a lot of carts and they all have something. London super gold is just amazing it is live and the best cart. Low output MC is fast and detailed but a pain in the butt as often toppy and  and you cant change the stylus. The Vessel which I bought for interest (vivid line 234 dollar one) is vert MC but without the rise. I could not believe it when I heard the Vessel, MC, but better bass, and smoother and fast. I saw the Jico and got it as so impressed with the Vessel. Slightly different body but very similar and a total bargain. The boron MR stylus is seriously detailed without being harsh and bass is amazing with MC vocals too. I have 60 odd carts and listen to this most. Yes the London is slightly better but this is really a sleeper IMO.

Also specs are wrong the separation number is totally wrong IMO a translation issue. I measured it and I got almost 30dB so 18 is actually 28 as a mistake in translation. This is backed up by the Excel which was the same cart was close to 30 dB separation.

Chris

9 minutes ago, Maynard said:

I noticed tracking force is quite light, would this Jico boron be ok on a medium mass arm? 

Yes. Look at compliance it is perfect for a medium mass arm.

Chris

Edited by cafe latte

14 hours ago, Maynard said:

It’s the LOMC 

The Vessel is a MM. MM or MI is just as good as MC is is all about moving mass. The lowest moving mass cart ever was actually a MM not MC. MI is always low, but MC is cheaper to make and you cant change the stylus so it is better for the seller not for you. Love my MC's just saying that it is not a superior technology. Remember a MC is just a MM in reverse.

Chris

Just purchased a J 125s from eBay. 
in the meantime I’ve taken my lovely sansui sr 525 for a service. 
looking forward to the matching of the two.

thanks so much for the advice cafe latte. 

• Like 1