Subwoofer

Akai AA-1150 Low Filter

The Akai AA-1150 stereo receiver has a 'Low Filter' button. This activates a high-pass filter, which is specified to be -6 dB at 50 Hz. Does anyone know what is the roll-off rate of this filter? Is it a first-order or second-order filter or higher? It's an old piece of audio equipment and I haven't been able to track down any information on this.

If it specifies the -6dB point (not the -3dB point) ... then it is an even-order HP filter (most probably Linkwitz-Riley) - so either 12dB or 24dB.

Andy

From schematic of AA-1175 (also -6dB @50Hz)

image.png.e5be627ba0ae3b7773a707c38ee6fa5b.png

On 02/08/2020 at 6:05 PM, andyr said:

If it specifies the -6dB point (not the -3dB point) ... then it is an even-order HP filter (most probably Linkwitz-Riley) - so either 12dB or 24dB.

Thanks for responding. My guess would be that it isn't a Linkwitz-Riley filter, even though a -6 dB point is specified. That's because Linkwitz's journal paper was published in 1976, which probably predates the AA-1150 amplifier by just two or three years.

On 02/08/2020 at 7:34 PM, mbz said:

From schematic of AA-1175 (also -6dB @50Hz)

image.png.e5be627ba0ae3b7773a707c38ee6fa5b.png

Many thanks for that information. I managed to find the schematic for the AA-1150, which has very similar component values. It looks like the low filter is a first-order RC high-pass network. Although the -6 dB point specification is a little unusual, it does seem to tie in with the circuit's component values. I guess that the aim of the low filter was to try and prevent lots of low-frequency energy getting to small vented bookshelf loudspeakers, thus greatly reducing cone excursion, particularly when playing warped LPs.

Yep, simple first order filter. Just about mandatory for turntable rumble on any size spkrs.