Bookshelf B&W 610 Guidance

Hi, new member here. I have a large room to fill but can only convince my wife to go with bookshelf speakers for aesthetics. There’s a pair of B&W 610’s I’m looking at on Gumtree. Ask is $150. How would they go? Am I setting myself up for failure by limiting myself to bookshelves? Advice appreciated.

2 hours ago, Bombleadam said:

Hi, new member here. I have a large room to fill but can only convince my wife to go with bookshelf speakers for aesthetics. There’s a pair of B&W 610’s I’m looking at on Gumtree. Ask is $150. How would they go? Am I setting myself up for failure by limiting myself to bookshelves? Advice appreciated.

Do you mean B&W 601, if so that’s a good price, they were popular some 15 years and should be many reviews on them. A subwoofer be added to provide more bass and hidden from view if needed.

1 hour ago, Al.M said:

Do you mean B&W 601, if so that’s a good price, they were popular some 15 years and should be many reviews on them. A subwoofer be added to provide more bass and hidden from view if needed.

Definitely the B&W DM 610. Largish by bookshelf standards I think which is what I like about them. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cheltenham/speakers/b-w-dm-610-speakers/1253888291?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=ios_VIP&utm_medium=social&utm_source=com.apple.uikit.activity.copytopasteboard

• Like 1

Hmmm... that gumtree listing suggests 'upgraded woofers'... I'd question whether they are actually an upgrade. You can't simply replace the original woofers with aftermarket items and maintain the same sonic performance.

They look a lot like Jaycar drivers with the curved cone/integrated dust-cap.

I'd stay away from these speakers.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Hmmm... that gumtree listing suggests 'upgraded woofers'... I'd question whether they are actually an upgrade. You can't simply replace the original woofers with aftermarket items and maintain the same sonic performance.

Agreed.

51 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Good pickup. Thanks. I did notice the “upgrade”. Also says he still has the original woofers so could maybe have as a backup. Still, I don’t like the idea that they’ve been “tampered” with so to speak.

what do you think about the size? Could I get good results with with a similarly sized speaker and my room size? Or am I best off trying to convince my wife we need to get som floor standings?

its mainly home theatre and I enjoy cranking some tunes if I get the chance but no outrageous parties or anything.

i appreciate the advice.

I reckon if he's replaced the originals, it is because the originals are damaged in some way (e.g. fried voice coils, damaged surrounds). Otherwise, there would be no reason to 'upgrade' from original B&W drivers to Jaycar drivers - it's a backwards step in my opinion.

One thing that will be missing in a room of that size with large bookshelf style speakers is bass extension. If you can augment the low end with, say, a second-hand 10" or 12" powered subwoofer, this would help to fill in the low end significantly - even at lower listening levels. 

Otherwise, yes, a larger pair of speakers with improved low end extension could be a good option, if you can the necessary permits from the Minister! ;)

Were you thinking of placing the speakers on a bookshelf? On a tablet or unit of some kind? On speaker stands? 

If the speakers are on a bookshelf or close to a wall you need to think about port position. 

If they will be on stands then they may occupy the same floor space as slim floor standers but speaker Ona stand does look different to a floor standing speaker.

Your room size can be catered to by some bookshelves. By that I mean ones big enough that they won't fit on actual bookshelves :) 

1 hour ago, gwurb said:

Were you thinking of placing the speakers on a bookshelf? On a tablet or unit of some kind? On speaker stands? 

If the speakers are on a bookshelf or close to a wall you need to think about port position. 

If they will be on stands then they may occupy the same floor space as slim floor standers but speaker Ona stand does look different to a floor standing speaker.

Your room size can be catered to by some bookshelves. By that I mean ones big enough that they won't fit on actual bookshelves :) 

Thanks. Yeah, we have a large open cupboard type unit at the front of the room below the TV. About 4 metres wide by about .75m high. The plan is to put the speakers in there. I think if I could sell the idea of bookshelves on stands I'd probably be able to sell the idea of floor standing speakers so I'd go that way. For now I'm trying to find some speakers to sit on the shelves.

The unit is fixed to the wall and is pretty solid so should hold heavy bookshelf speakers if I can find some decent ones. Of course I'm limited in budget to about $250 which is why I'm looking second hand.

So yeah, in summary, I want great sound, small form factor and cheap price. Easy right? ? I'm pretty sure I'm dreaming. But I'll keep hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in exactly the same boat as you where the wife doesn’t want speakers dominating the living area. I found a as new pair of Elec Debut 2.0 B5.2 for $250 on marketplace. The previous owner said they were not what he wanted but I am very happy with them. Just be patient and you will find something suitable at your price. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, just wanted to post back and let you know how it panned out.

A couple of months back I picked up an Energy C-C100B for center speaker for $70. We’ve long had dialog issues so I hoped it might at least sort that but out. Turns out it did, I think it’s a really nice center.

Still didn’t solve my main speaker needs though. On the weekend I picked up a pair of Canton Karat 30 speakers which I was going to use as mains, but got a bit scared off as they’re 4ohm speakers and I didn’t (still don’t) really understand what that means. I have a Yamaha RX-685 and there were some horror stories about cooking mid-fi receivers trying to drive 4ohm mains.

On my way back from picking up the Canton’s, I saw a listing for a DVD player and speakers for $180. I could see the speakers were Energy brand so I called in. Turns out they were Energy Connoisseur C-3’s. Kind of a mid sized bookshelf. I was able to grab just them for $100. They sound great and look the part so I decided to put them in instead of the Canton’s. I still have the Cantons which I’ll look to sell I guess. They were only $100 and they sound nice so maybe I’ll hang onto them. You know, just in case, of course.

Anyway, long story short. I’m happy, wife is happy. I’m calling it sorted... for now. I did lay the speakers down which is probably some sort of cardinal sin but, I’ll work on that. For now it’s all good.

Thanks to all for their input. Photo attached if anyone’s interested.

97CCE634-D094-471B-B833-F3585021B56C.jpeg

33 minutes ago, pete_mac said:

Nice one - I'm quite a fan of Energy speakers. I've yet to meet one that I haven't liked the sound of.

Yep. After listening I really can’t complain. During my search I found it hard to find a negative review of any of them which was one of the reasons I was happy to go with them.

• Like 1

I am letting my wife to choose colours or even shapes of speakers, other hifi or furniture. The exact size of speakers and there final position is my decision which is final decision. Happy husband happy life.  

• Haha 1