Esoterica

Apple TV+ Currently Watching

Posted (edited)

I searched but did not find a topic on this so started one. Please merge with the other if I missed its existence.

I usually watch movie buys or rentals on my ATV 4K, but have watched some of the content included in the free subscription to plus, you get when buying an eligible device.

The main reason for this post is to rave about Mythic Quest, which I love so much. It’s so well written with awesome characters and it’s hilarious. Basically it revolves around this video game company and their flagship game, Mythic Quest. It follows all the different team members in their roles and interactions with their peers and all the many issues they have on the production of the game etc. I probably didn’t sell it well but what makes it is the writing and acting. I’m very hard to please with comedy but this has me cracking up often.

Most of the actors are new to me, except one of the It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia guys and a guy from Happy Endings, but don’t think his is a recurring role.

I watched a few episodes last night and was smiling from ear to ear. It looked great in the ~96” projected image too. It’s in 4K and most of the other good specs. I’m up to about ep. 6. The last episode was a big departure as it follows two new characters from the past but it sets up some of what we already know. That’s an interesting and different screenwriting choice.

Edited by Esoterica
Typos

Had it for the free trial period, most of the stuff was on other platforms, but found a couple of good things:

For All Mankind: The Space Race of the 1960s between Russia and America, with a twist, worth a watch.

The Morning Show: Long term co-anchor of a morning show is accused of sexual harassment of female workers and is laid off, the company has to find a replacement over a weekend. Also shows the goings on behind the scene and those trying to get further up the ladder in the entertainment industry.

So I bought a new laptop which gives me a free trial for a year but I can’t for the life of me work out how to watch. 

I’m sure I signed up for the trial but everything I click on seems to have the usual Apple TV charges. I’m on an older (2nd gen?) Apple TV - does that make a difference ?

3 hours ago, Neurone said:

Had it for the free trial period, most of the stuff was on other platforms, but found a couple of good things:

One of the things to be aware of is that a major part of the app is collating content from other services, so perhaps this is what you saw.

Apple doesn’t have that much content so far, but they have regular deals on rentals e.g: I rented Zombieland Double Tap last night for 99c. You won’t get very new releases for under $6-7 though, but that’s the same everywhere. I’ve seen titles like Jojo Rabbit for $10 to own, which is good compared to the cost of the disc. I’ve rented or bought movies for much less than elsewhere and in my experience with Foxtel, Amazon and Netflix most of the free stuff is average.

Apple has the Beastie Boys Story documentary exclusively and the new Tom Hanks film Greyhound. They’re getting more free content for subscribers all the time, but right not I like it mostly for it’s integration into my home theatre and iPad. I had a chrome cast but didn’t like it much as I want an interface not have to control it from my phone etc.

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

So I bought a new laptop which gives me a free trial for a year but I can’t for the life of me work out how to watch. 

I’m sure I signed up for the trial but everything I click on seems to have the usual Apple TV charges. I’m on an older (2nd gen?) Apple TV - does that make a difference ?

As above, a lot of it is pay per view or purchase the title, but there’s plenty of free stuff of Apple’s own too. Just look for a free to watch tab or similar. It’s mainly free TV shows though, so check the TV tab. Not many free movies last time I checked. The older ATV may be a factor but get/open the app on your laptop to see. The latest app will give you an indication of the current situation.