Pull Up Screens - Recommendations?

Afternoon all,

Anyone have any experience with pull up screens?

I'm looking for an elegant temporary solution for 100/110 inch screens. I'm renting so can't attach anything to a wall.

Cheers,

Grant

1 hour ago, Jazzy G said:

Afternoon all,

I'm looking for an elegant temporary solution for 100/110 inch screens. I'm renting so can't attach anything to a wall.

Cheers,

Grant

hi grant... even if rending there is nothing stoping believe it or not attaching to wall... I know folks who have rented...myself included and hasn't been a hinderance for me...

otherwise there are pull up screens .... 

eg below can consider...

https://avaustralia.com.au/grandview-scissor-lift-pull-up-portable-screens/

I have even seen folk with a full framed screen they just plonk there leaning on wall... 

or just use the wall...

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2020 at 1:33 PM, Jazzy G said:

Afternoon all,

Cheers,

Grant

Hi Grant, bit late to the party here but I'll share my experience. I like pull ups. No install costs, flexibility with a tv. Tidy and out of site more or less when not in use. 

I was projecting while renting for a number of years so I've got three pull up screens. An 80“ HP road warrior, great lightweight screen, nice bright picture, 1.0 gain, a Dinon 90“ 1.2 gain you can get off ebay for $450-500, decent screen, less real world gain than I'd like, but good though I still use it, and an elite ez-cinema 1.1 gain 120" which goes for about $800. Nice bright surface but coming to the conclusion it's too big for my projector. Let me explain. 

I use the latter two mostly these days even though Ive got my own place as they can be hauled up in front of the tv at a moments notice (you probably want to do the same rather than go fixed - am I right?) 

At the moment Ive got a Panasonic AE8000 with about 2000 hours on its first globe. This is an up to 2400 lumens projector, so it's bright. But at 2000 hours it's knowhere near as bright as it was - I'd say 30% dimmer at low lamp than it used to be. Also, until recently I had no idea about the role that zoom settings on a projector can play on brightness. More zoom = more brightness, however you ideally want your zoom about half way through its range to give the best compromise between brightness and contrast. 

For this reason, if I had my time again at the 4.09 metres throw distance I'm using and factoring in the age of my lamp (yours will age too) and the fact that I love 3d blu rays and have like 300 of them - whilst I've enjoyed the 120“ I should of gone with the 100" ez cinema screen ie the 100" version of the one I have below, because it would be brighter over time for my usage scenario

https://avaustralia.com.au/elite-screens-ezcinema-floor-pull-up-portable-projection-screens-60-150/

Personally (apart from its size vs my aging lamp) I've found my 120" great. I've had it for 6 years. Gets used mostly weekends. I've treated it carefully and with mechanical sympathy. It's big but easy to move if desired. Maxwhite 1.1 gain is a bright white for what it is - more neutral than the dinon screen, it's still a cheap screen though so have your expectations in check. The roller mechanism has stood up nicely. No marks to speak off, it's not wavy (some people complain about that for this model). The bottom of the screen itself is glued to another piece of vinyl that some people find on amazon U. S seperates from the screen after a while but mine has been fine in this respect. It's not designed to be left standing up for more than day at a time, and I've respected that, so that's probably helped. A downside is I need a stepladder to put it up (I'm 5' 11"). I'd keep fans away from it, or it will wave like a main sail, but I've got a/c so no issues. 

The 100" would have still been big but my zoom would have been right at 1.5x which I think would have given a better brightness result than 120" as the bulb aged. Ive also recently got into calibrating my projector using a i1 display pro colorimeter and chromapure software  and I think the 100" elite would have been much easier to calibrate being smaller. On that basis the 100" above might be on my chrissy list this year (and I'll keep my 120" for my 2d motorsport on kayo :)

So thats been a bit rambling, and probably more information than you wanted but a pull up is a viable half decent solution if you want to keep a big TV in the living room as well as a projector bigger screen experience is all im saying. But before you decide on size I'd definitely carefully consider your throw distance, zoom ratio and how much dimmer your lamp is going to get as I ages. I think for usability over a bulb lifetime 100" is more viable. 

Hope that vaguely helps! 

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...