horze

Rear speakers, atmos speakers, home theatre setup advice + opinions

17 hours ago, horze said:

The side/sourrands, im going to get the bipolar.

The rears if they are going in the light green line area, would you stick to bipolar again or mono bookshelf?

I would always use monopole.

This CC channel is my main concern it seems. So with a scope screen. It keeps the horizontal scale the same, but cuts a little off the top and the bottom of the image? is that what a scope screen does? Meaning you might gain eg 100mm on top and 100mm on bottom?

yes thats correct :)

While the 6 heights sounds great... i think we are going to stick to the 4 heights. In reality its the middle row that we are trying to cater for the most.

this fair enough... there are not a lot of rooms i dont think will even need 6 its just the rows and coverage ...but can just focus on the middle important row and cover that with a 4 heights no probs :)

Def decided on 2 subs. And pretty sure it will be 2 x 12's and possibly 2 x 15's.

With the angles of dolby, the rear speakers should go in the light green lines area.

The side/sourrands, im going to get the bipolar.

The rears if they are going in the light green line area, would you stick to bipolar again or mono bookshelf?

for sides bi-poles I can attest work very well...jsut as did in 7.1 setups and will give you far better coverage than just mono pole where considering.   paradigm make stunning bi-poles, any of their "surround speakers" are this style and have heard in a few systems using to good effect. Rears though 100% stick to mono poles and yes standard bookshelf speakers are perfectly fine.... paradigm make some good ones with bracket capability too. 

Def decided on 2 subs. And pretty sure it will be 2 x 12's and possibly 2 x 15's.

just given room size...id try go couple of the 15 prestige at the least they are very good subs ! 

I wouldn't go that style unless you just had one row to focus on. as it is you are going 4 inclielings and covering 6 rows ! just standard in ceilings that go flush and most have adjustable tweeters you can aim for mlp. wouldn't go further than that...

I’ve used bipoles for surround duty quite successfully, especially in awkward positions to help spread the sound. 

I wouldn’t  rule them out 

i found for actual rears with 2 rows of seating (but a room with questionable design ) mono poles worked better than bi pole. so much i decided to get the same speakers for sides as well. works better imo.

i have tried centre speakers in the rear and as side surrounds and they also work well.

I have moved away from dipoles as well. Once properly setup, you can get very precise imaging and sound steering with direct firing speakers and with discrete channels in codecs like Auro 3D, I think dipoles could be a disadvantage.

Height speakers can be called on to do a fair bit from music to surround effects. I can recommend these 3 way speakers in the ceiling 

1587812745_ScreenShot2020-08-06at8_57_29am.png.009b36e30d02a828685802cc20e96636.png

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/polk/polk-90-rt-vanishing-rt-series-in-ceiling-three-way-loudspeaker-vs90rt-white.html

Don’t use Di-poles they are from Dolby prologuc era and run out of phase provide surround ambience with least localised sound. 

bipole provide localisation and do very effectively but larger area coverage 

certainly can use mono poles but most localised and side of room can be tight in your ear in some setups not ideal. And with larger area coverage don’t always do too well.

On 04/08/2020 at 7:23 PM, horze said:

Niterida do you mean these types for the heights?

https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-ceiling-speakers/ci-home-h65-sm

https://www.paradigm.com/en/in-ceiling-speakers/ci-home-h65-a

Ceilings are 9 foot (2.7m).. First raiser from memory is .5m

Oh man i hate this room 😂

Oh man I still see so many compromises in this room and I don't think it will sound anywhere near as good as it could or should. 
Dolby guidelines recommend a minimum ceiling height of 2.3m and yet your MLP reduces that height to 2.2m and the rear seats to 1.7m.

It also recommends height speakers to be 2 to 3 times ear level speaker height. Now given your seated ear height of say 900mm this means your rear speakers need to be at 1.9m to be level with rear seats ears and 1.4m from MLP.  so heights have to be 2.8 to 3.8m high !! 

It also recommends rear surrounds to be no more than 1.25 the height of your LCRs which they will obviously be a lot higher than.

Seriously I think you should ditch the rear riser and replace it with bar seating. Lower the front riser too. This will have so many acoustic benefits and will make better use of just 4 height speakers. (and I recommend the Paradigm with 30deg baffles for those).

You are spending a lot of money and doing a lot of work for something that is flawed.

Also for your centre speaker please please please put it behind your screen - I have mine virtually mounted flush with the screen so I only lost 300mm of room space - plus bringing the screen closer effectively makes it bigger and I sit 1:1 screen width to distance away and it is just about perfect.

bar seating.jpg

Edited by niterida
added pic

Thanks for clearing all that up everyone

Ok so ive measured a few more things

First row is at 2.8m

Second row (first raiser) is at 450mm, second is at 840mm

Ok what is 100% (thanks to you all)

Sides are going to be bipole sourrand3

And the rears i will stick to the bookshelf mono which is the 200b

I will put the rears within the light green line on my drawing which become within dolby spec angles, and it becomes inline with the front LR (within about 100mm)

Also i have talked dad into lowering the rears and sourrand to about 1.7-1.8m

Now the cc, dads not keen on doing the dummy wall and there is too much work in redoing the platform and hes very happy with the platform in terms of vision to the screen.

Bar seating is not an option either.

Niterda, All your measurements are spot on with the dolbys recommendation but im not going to be able to follow them exactly, while we are trying to get it good, there are somethings that they just wont settle for due to looks and practical

So its not favoring the CC here.....

But .. that leaves with 2 options... 1 is to get rid of the bulkhead at the front, which means the screen will shift up about 300mm and the centre shifts up 300mm.. So CC will be at 730mm... i know its still not ideal or in anyway perfect.. but its an improvement, and i can angle the speaker a little aswell, which will help.

The second is the scope screen. which im still a little confused on TBH.

So with the scope screen, you zoom out the lens on the projector and make a 16:9 fit into a 2.35 (vertical wise)?

This then would leave you with bars on the left and right, am i thinking this correctly?

Edited by horze

It wont be pete, because its been built exactly to the size of the seats

730mm is better than 400mm, why do you want a bulk head anyway? they serve no purpose. looks mean little if they impact on the reason for the room.. to enjoy a movie.

seems the riser is a set piece so just take into consideration the safety ideas mentioned.

the pj should have settings for various screen sizes, just press a button on the remote.

as for the rears.. well i run rears and have them inside the line of my fronts. i would experiment with them on temp stands before deciding their permanent placement. but each to their own.