Onslo

SOLD: FS: Commonwealth 12B turntable

Item Condition: Good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost.
Suburb or Town: Turners Beach
State: Tasmania
Payment Method: Cash Paypal
Reason for selling: NLR

Further information: This unit is in very good mechanical order, the spindle and bearing have perfect clearance, the idler Tyre is excellent and the motor has been overhauled and revarnished by a professional motor rewinding company. The 12B is highly desirable for HIfI as it has the idler removed mechanical from the rim mechanically by a lever in the power switch avoiding the solenoid in some models which can add some hum. The face plate is missing and I never got around to printing one, I do have a plinth which can be thrown in for a local but not worth shipping. A great project turntable that is internationally sought after.

Photos:

A0A220DF-941E-4EC7-A01C-6D3E29128928.jpeg

13DE0FB3-EC67-4CFA-853D-811DDC0DF8C8.jpeg

77A188E4-B287-4A92-A2E8-061AA2773338.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I have question ? What is the missing part on TT showing a hole .? Light strobe ?

Edited by palexsia

It was for an incandescent lamp in a cylindrical shroud,  to allow use of a stroboscope to check the RPM of the turntable and to also  assist in sighting tracks when placing a pickup into the record groove.

Thats correct VanArn, thanks. This unit was in a cabinet that covered the top of the player so the decal and lamp is missing.

1 hour ago, denimhunter said:

Thanks, but I am only missing a 12C and a 16A to complete my collection.

Posted (edited)

This ad shows the light, and the photo shows a bit more detail of the cutout on the other side of the light.  I would think that a replacement could be easily fabricated from a cylinder, mounted from the two screw holes evident in the OP's photo.  Perhaps add a concealed light switch.  Paint the cylinder hammertone grey and it will look great. 

transcriptionturntable_12b_2348695.png

Note: This photo below is not the TT for sale (see the photos posted by the OP above).  This has been posted so that a purchaser has a reference to fabricate the light on the left-hand side. 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/5f/6b/fe5f6b14a09be00b99a09adbd752ddc9.jpg

GLWTS. 

Commonwealth's are lovely TT's and a piece of Australian audio history.

Edited by audiofeline

Thanks audio feline. There is no need for a switch as the power switch has a 'lamp' position just past 'on', which powers up the lamp when the TT is spinning. It is not strobing but is simply glowing for cueing.

15 hours ago, Onslo said:

... It is not [a] strobing [light] but is simply glowing for cueing.

As an incandescent light, it would give a speed accuracy when used with a turntable strobe disk (with the dots around the edge).  They don't work with LED or fluro lighting.  Incandescent lights do strobe, but it's at the mains power frequency of 50hz so the human eye doesn't notice, but becomes evident with the strobe disk.  Similar to the lights on DD turntables that shine on dots on the platter's side.  I've found the light on the 12B interesting, as it's also to aide cuing, possibly designed for a dimly-lit radio studio. 

Again, these Commonwealths are a fine piece of Australian audio history, and I'm confident that any purchase will have no complaints about the quality. 

GLWTS.

This Turntable has been sold and I am pleased to say it is staying in Australia.