85"TV or stick waiting for 4k Projector

Posted (edited)

I am seating around 3- 3.5m away from the screen i think. maybe 4ish, I have to measure it. I have gone back to using my 65" TV to compare how it feels to watch a tv in the room as opposed to my projector. Because the room is very dark and i painted the walls black, I gotta say the TV glare is a bit distressing on the eyes after mainly watching the projector in that room, but i remember this was where my favourite TV the Phillips with ambilight technology was awesome. 

I am still probably going to get the 85" as i just want to have a 4k display as well as HDR for some of the new content i have as well as for gaming. I will still keep an eye out for decently priced 4K Projectors to come out on the forums and will one day upgrade to that from my current JVC. I would like to see the different from the e-shift technology to native 4k.  

Edited by lonewolf
  • Moderators
41 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I am seating around 3- 3.5m away from the screen i think. maybe 4ish, I have to measure it. I have gone back to using my 65" TV to compare how it feels to watch a tv in the room as opposed to my projector. Because the room is very dark and i painted the walls black, I gotta say the TV glare is a bit distressing on the eyes after mainly watching the projector in that room, but i remember this was where my favourite TV the Phillips with ambilight technology was awesome. 

3-3.5-4m ish as mentioned is really 1080p territory... but yeah doesnt mean 85" at that distance wont be irking out a bit more :) 

yeah you really cant beat that movie theatre feel of watching a movie with projected image ... it focusses you too without al later distractions in the room onto the image... a lot of reason why folks like projectors for movie experience...

TV still feels like TV ! :D

41 minutes ago, lonewolf said:

I am still probably going to get the 85" as i just want to have a 4k display as well as HDR for some of the new content i have as well as for gaming. I will still keep an eye out for decently priced 4K Projectors to come out on the forums and will one day upgrade to that from my current JVC. I would like to see the different from the e-shift technology to native 4k.  

by all means but be aware its the budget end of LCD and in output it doesnt even achieve the HDR heights you associate with LCD... its the price pay for buying a larger screen at a price ...

as i mentioned earlier as a 4k notice projector owner... and owning a 4k uhd enabled e-shift jvc... i wouldnt not in a fit write off the e-shifts... :)  

• 1 month later...

if gaming is a consideration it is my under standing that oleds suffer from burn in, please correct me if I am wrong ( I am looking at tv/projector options as well to suit next gen consoles)

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, sbv20j said:

if gaming is a consideration it is my under standing that oleds suffer from burn in, please correct me if I am wrong ( I am looking at tv/projector options as well to suit next gen consoles)

as an emissive tech, it i would suggest be a little like plasma... we had the same thing said about plasma for years... yet I have a pioneer kuro still  going decade plus ...not a hint of burn in... gaming... watching sport and tv with logos you name it..

probably same precautions and consideration will likely apply and keep in mind with oled...

ie depends if you are going to be gaming hours and hours on end... with same static stuff on screen. also if have put even the rudimentary effort to take screen off "shop setting" which are usually retina burning everything cranked to max ! to counter the bright flouro lit environments tend to be and what tends to lead to sets with stuff burnt on in shops...

but yes this is not a consideration of projectors or anything to  be worried about ... also a 85" oled if and when comes is going to be VERY expensive ...

• 2 weeks later...

85+ size oleds are out there, but they cost as much as a decent 3 series.. 

LG 88" 8K  current model is $72000, previous model is still $60K

I'm waiting for more dual layer LCDs to arrive, that's a technology that really looks to be the best way to keep the price/performance ratio up on LCD.

They have a standard LED backlight (which could be anything from solid single zone, edge lit multi zone, or FALD), then a transparent greyscale LCD layer of reasonable resolution to shape the backlighting, then the main image layer. Much cheaper than OLED, better than current FALD systems with a few hundred to a few thousand LEDs, and still cheaper than micro-led backlights with many thousands of lighting zones.  so where a good high end FALD LED TV might currently have say 480 zones (on the order of 30*16 zones if we think of them like pixels), dual layer LCDS essentially have 480, 720, 1080 or higher backlight resolutions.

Trust me, from someone who has only just dipped his toe in the projector pool, even a mid tier Epson TW7100 has amazing PQ for the price. I haven't looked at TVs for a couple of years, but doubt any sub $2k TV would be better. Also, you'd be lucky to even get an 85" for that, and the projector can go way bigger than 85".

Even for the price of a decent 85" TV, you could get the much lauded Epson TW9400 with better black levels and contrast and some convenient features like auto lens shift.

Personally I still watch my 75" TV for most viewing. I wouldn't bother using the pj in the day. To me that is the only downside of projectors. The darker the ambient light, the better with a pj, but mine is in a room with white ceiling and still looks good. In av dedicated room it makes sense to have dark walls and ceiling, but mine is in a multi-use room. 

Finally, if I knew how good projectors were a couple of years ago when I bought my 4K TV, I probably would've got a pj instead, although they probably didn't have e-shift back then.

Yep, I think for the price of one of these really high end TVs, you could get a great projector+screen AND a pretty damn good 65-75" TV for too.

A really good 85" TV is $10K at least, the cheaper ones at that size have too many compromises, particularly in backlight evenness and usually have poor pixel response times leading to a smeary blotchy image.

A pretty damn good 65" TV is $2.5K, that remaining $7.5k gets a great projector and screen. or push up to a decent 75" TV for $3.5K and still have $6.5k for a nice projector.

I ended up getting a sony 85" tv (3200$) but still waiting around /looking around for a 4K projector. My screen is 100”so it’s still 15 more than my tv. I need a Epson or jvc basically as I need flexibility with the zoom and lens shift. The benq doesn’t have enough of either for my situation. 

Edited by lonewolf

5 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

Good size but the q8 85" has the better picture with added important specs like FALD and quantum  dots [ as well as better JBL Harman sound😉 ]  Its black levels are worth checking out..

https://www.buysmarte.com.au/tv-audio/samsung-qled-tvs/hisense-85q8-85-215cm-4k-uhd-smart-uled-tv.html

Just the ticket for the nit level of UHD colour blurays and its a bit hard to rationalise paying 10k extra for 15'" more . The compromise is a low nit level projector or a smaller display that is more suited to UHD ; things are getting more complicated at small screen sizes ; going from 65 to 85 is a revelation even with the new codecs compressed H265 material  :$

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/09/2020 at 11:15 PM, cwt said:

Good size but the q8 85" has the better picture with added important specs like FALD and quantum  dots [ as well as better JBL Harman sound😉 ]  Its black levels are worth checking out..

https://www.buysmarte.com.au/tv-audio/samsung-qled-tvs/hisense-85q8-85-215cm-4k-uhd-smart-uled-tv.html

Just the ticket for the nit level of UHD colour blurays and its a bit hard to rationalise paying 10k extra for 15'" more . The compromise is a low nit level projector or a smaller display that is more suited to UHD ; things are getting more complicated at small screen sizes ; going from 65 to 85 is a revelation even with the new codecs compressed H265 material  :$

You're almost saying this as if it translates into fact. How do you know the specs mean real life improvement in viewing experience.? 

4 hours ago, ghost4man said:

You're almost saying this as if it translates into fact. How do you know the specs mean real life improvement in viewing experience.? 

Just as a general rule the S8 are edge lit with dimming zones where the Q8s are fald sets with more precise dimming zones [and more of them ive read ] .This helps with colour uniformity due to brightness across the screen and contrast as the pixels are sharply defined from one another so light bleed is helped . 

Not to say the cheaper tech is bad just that the extra panel weight  helps or they would just make edge lits :) Coming from a pana 780 edge lit the q series has great contrast and colours that pop due to the nano dots enhancing rec709/2020 when fed a uhd or hidef signal ;worth checking out   for yourself B)

one of the other massive advantages to a projector that people never talk about is that with a tv . . doesnt matter what sort it is . . you get the blue light which causes sleep issues (it tricks your brain into thinking its day time).

The reflected image off a projector screen i founds, doesnt have that affect at all. 

It really does not make sense to drop down to 85 inch from 110.

110 inch has a viewing size of 3.0688 square Meters

85 inch has a viewing size of 2.1808 square meters.

going from 110 to 85 is a drop in screen size of 28.94%

50 minutes ago, steffanth said:

one of the other massive advantages to a projector that people never talk about is that with a tv . . doesnt matter what sort it is . . you get the blue light which causes sleep issues (it tricks your brain into thinking its day time).

The reflected image off a projector screen i founds, doesnt have that affect at all. 

I do regret it somewhat, I still miss the larger size of 100" that i had. Am contemplating getting a newer projector still but cant afford native / true 4k. 

On 23/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, steffanth said:

I moved from a 106" projector screen to an 85" LCD TV, but at the same time moved the TV off the wall to instead line up with the front of my entertainment unit using an articulated mount (although a regular stand would have got close it I didn't need to place my centre speaker on top of the unit as well).

The screen is perceptually a touch smaller, but moving a screen about 600mm forward changes the ratios enough that the difference is much less than 10% in my case.  There are cases where the trade off can be worth it for individuals, so long as you know and accept the differences.  As a straight replacement I wouldn't have made the change, but I made it work for me with changing the room setup a little.