Vinyl --> "Wow", what to upgrade next or leave it

Hi Vinyl folks,

I am now on the edge to go to the rabit hole of Vinyl land or not, before it is too late to get out

I have just got a Cyrus Phono signature preamp as an interim solution  after selling my Chord TT2 DAC and waiting for new DAC but wow this phono makes my scrappy  "JBhifi" Audio Technica AT-LP5  sounds damn alright.

I did not know the acoustic and vocal records can sound so natural like this. I bought AT-LP5 mostly for decorating and listen to some non-English albums I collected overseas but the sound quality is just for fun before when comparing to Chord TT2.

So my question is what upgrade next to see substantial improvement and ideal proportion to put budget in Vinyl system. Would a complete turnable system can be sound as good as MSB Discrete DAC at half price investment buying "used" (put aside the cost of record verus Tidal subscription). If there is going to be more expensive to achieve same level to a high-end digital system, I might put my plan aside as my bank account does not look healthy at this state , let's say put another 3k for remaining upgrade.

My current: Audio Technica AT-LP5 + Stock cartridge (stock power cable) --> [2m budget Atlas RCA (~$100)]--> Cyrus phono/PS2 power supply (stock power cables) ---high quality XLR->  Paslabs Xp20 --> amp

Would a phono RCA cable with fully shielded design make sense to change RCA or should I throw budget to a better cartridge first?

Thanks for your advice and sharing experience,

Edited by ikhuong

7 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

In the pictures it looks like this table had an at95 cartridge. I would get an upgraded stylus for it, or  one of the newer vm95 carts with a better stylus such as the microline.

there is one Audio Technica AT150MLX MM asking at $500, it is more expensive than my turntable . should I got a different turntable then?

Like Rega LP6 .

I am looking for an additional 3k for remaining upgrade of the vinyl system including cables

Edited by ikhuong

33 minutes ago, markielinhart said:

Why not replace the 2M Red stylus with a 2M Blue - same body, different colour...

I did replace Red stylus but I broke the tips while cleaning ?, lol, maybe I am not a calm person to vinyl

so back to its stock cartridge now, 

Edited by ikhuong

1 hour ago, ikhuong said:

there is one Audio Technica AT150MLX MM asking at $500, it is more expensive than my turntable . should I got a different turntable then?

Like Rega LP6 .

I am looking for an additional 3k for remaining upgrade of the vinyl system including cables

Get a better TT.

• Like 1

If your s

5 hours ago, ikhuong said:

Like Rega LP6 .

I'm assuming that means turntable. The Roxsan and the Rega P9 look good in the classifeds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aussievintage said:

In the pictures it looks like this table had an at95 cartridge. I would get an upgraded stylus for it, or  one of the newer vm95 carts with a better stylus such as the microline.

I agree with this suggestion.  The easiest, cheapest upgrade,  and it will tangibly improve your sound.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, t_mike said:

To put thing in context, the phono stage you have is easily good enough for a $5k+ cartridge, let alone the rest of the table/arm assembly.

really, my budget for a new cartridge is 500 to 1k,  that sounds like I need to go hard to get the most out of of the phono preamp.

lol,

17 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

really, my budget for a new cartridge is 500 to 1k,  that sounds like I need to go hard to get the most out of of the phono preamp.

lol,

You don't "have" to, but you have that much capability should you choose to use it in the future.

1 hour ago, ikhuong said:

lol,

You would better off spending that money on a Technics SL1200. Once you have good platform (TT motor) then the tonearm will give the biggest improvement to sound. The Technics SL1200 and arm are very good and IMO will beat a Rega RP8, I can attest to this from experience.

Putting a $1k cartridge on an arm that resonates will not allow it to perform at its best.

Edited by Warren Jones
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wimbo said:

If your s

I'm assuming that means turntable. The Roxsan and the Rega P9 look good in the classifeds.

Yes eyeing on P9, maybe I love wood and its look at first sight. Modern turntable looks cool but it is something not "classic vinyl feel" for me.

3 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

You would better off spending that money on a Technics SL1200. Once you have good platform (TT motor) then the tonearm will give the biggest improvement to sound. The Technics SL1200 and arm are very good and IMO will beat a Rega RP8, I can attest to this from experience.

Putting a $1k cartridge on an arm that resonates will not allow it to perform at its best.

Thanks for this recommendation, yes, for long term, I agree to start from the foundation and match others on it. 

I did a same approach with my speakers and it is a very rewarding results too me. save time to go with side upgrade.

Hi all,

thanks for all advice, very helpful for me as this is a new land. Considering I have secured an upgrade to Rega LP9, which MC cartridge is a good match within $1000 used?

I listen mostly vocal and acoustic,  so not sure the cartridge needs to be chosen carefully with my music taste? 

• Like 1

If you were keeping the AT LP5, I would suggest upgrade the rca cables without going crazy. There seem to be quite a few cables listed here to choose from. 

On 31/07/2020 at 11:43 AM, aussievintage said:

Totally agree with this. I have recently installed a VM95e on a vintage Pioneer PL45D and also a Luxman A522 to get them complete and ready for sale. I am impressed with the performance for the modest cost and I like that they can be upgraded to better stylii without changing the whole cartridge, a great way to go down the rabbit hole of endless upgrades at a reasonable starting point.

If you have already moved on to the Rega P9, congratulations! My experience is limited to early Rega 2s and 3s which are both excellent for the performance achieved from their simplicity. I can only imagine that the P9 is a whole new dimension from what I have read. 

16 hours ago, ikhuong said:

Hi all,

thanks for all advice, very helpful for me as this is a new land. Considering I have secured an upgrade to Rega LP9, which MC cartridge is a good match within $1000 used?

I listen mostly vocal and acoustic,  so not sure the cartridge needs to be chosen carefully with my music taste? 

For what it is worth and assuming it is ok to mention my own listings in classifieds, I recently listed a few MC cartridges for sale. The Coral 777ex has expired and the Audio Technica ATOC10 and Ortofon MC20super are both about to expire. I will re-list them soon. A couple of others have sold and I seem to have had happy customers. From comments I have read here and elsewhere, I suspect that the AT OC10 might be worth considering for your set-up. Otherwise, I agree with looking at the Audio Technica AT33PTG mk2. 

As an alternative, if you are feeling like going vintage, the Coral 777ex might just be a bit of fun to explore. 

I don't think you will need spacers for the arm but I could be wrong. My experience from years back is that it wasn't all that common with the Regas of the day and the majority of cartridge choices around then to have to use spacers. I have vague recollections of putting spacers in a couple of times over 20 years but, of course, others may have found themselves doing it more often.

8 hours ago, ikhuong said:

did you try or listen  it on P9 ? Any spacer needed for Rega Tone arm?

Thanks very much for advice,

No mate. I've heard it on a few tables (including mine) in various forms and it should be right up your ally.

In regards to the P9, there is a Forum on here that talks about and advises re the P9. @betty boop will direct you there as he has one too.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both @Igotmearecord and @Wimbo

it is weird but is Amazon US a good source to buy cartridge instead of audio store?  Their AT brand new price is very reasonable versus local

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00475S0BU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&psc=1

the AT33EV version js even better price at $735 to AU

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B001J2KGDY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&psc=1

I love Amazon warranty service, the free return and no question ask on faulty item for new for old replacement is second to known

Edited by ikhuong

9 hours ago, ikhuong said:

did you try or listen  it on P9 ? Any spacer needed for Rega Tone arm?

Thanks very much for advice,

yes there is a p9 owners thread here below, feel free to ask there any questions relating, i should update my own progress in it .... :) 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ikhuong said:

Thanks both @Igotmearecord and @Wimbo

it is weird but is Amazon US a good source to buy cartridge instead of audio store?  Their AT brand new price is very reasonable versus local

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B00475S0BU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&psc=1

the AT33EV version js even better price at $735 to AU

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B001J2KGDY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&psc=1

Seems to me it is the same stock available on Amazon US to Amazon AU but it says they won't ship the AT33 from the US direct to here and you would have to buy it through Amazon Au and pay almost $100 more but it still looks like a good deal to me. Nice if you can buy local and support a local business but the price still needs to be competitive IMO. If you buy it from Amazon you still get warranty so it should be as safe as buying locally and safer than some other options. I would go for the PTG over the EV to get the microlinear stylus which the AT lovers here will tell you is definitely the way to go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Igotmearecord said:

Seems to me it is the same stock available on Amazon US to Amazon AU but it says they won't ship the AT33 from the US direct to here and you would have to buy it through Amazon Au and pay almost $100 more but it still looks like a good deal to me. Nice if you can buy local and support a local business but the price still needs to be competitive IMO. If you buy it from Amazon you still get warranty so it should be as safe as buying locally and safer than some other options. I would go for the PTG over the EV to get the microlinear stylus which the AT lovers here will tell you is definitely the way to go.

Agree, i will buy locally even it is 10-20% more expensive, looks like it is hard to find

AudioTechnica AT33PTG locally, do not see any store stock them