Angellus

Atmos - speaker grills to patch in ceiling speakers holes

Yeap I was a noob... and tried out Atmos 5.1.2.... liked it and now wanting more.. but if do that and go 5.1.4 now i have 2 big holes in my ceiling in the wrong place.

Is there anyone selling speaker grill cover solutions so i can half patch the hole and put in a grill rather than plaster and avoid the drama of maybe re-painting the whole ceiling? + leave holes semi perminant and in place for the inevitable  6 in the ceiling tech?

Cheers

Andy

14 hours ago, Angellus said:

Yeap I was a noob... and tried out Atmos 5.1.2.... liked it and now wanting more.. but if do that and go 5.1.4 now i have 2 big holes in my ceiling in the wrong place.

Is there anyone selling speaker grill cover solutions so i can half patch the hole and put in a grill rather than plaster and avoid the drama of maybe re-painting the whole ceiling? + leave holes semi perminant and in place for the inevitable  6 in the ceiling tech?

Cheers

Andy

dont HAVE to go that ways ... if just going two atmos heights ... id go front heights. there plenty of lee way with the height speaker setup, i wouldn't get too stressed on it...

when want to add the rear heights fort 5.1.4 you can keep using the front heights had in place to start with :) 

ive heard demo of quite a few setups with front heights in place only and they work pretty well. dont stress :) 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Angellus said:

Cheers

Andy

If you have to move them just drill a piece of timber across the hole (from the inside) cut a piece of plaster to size, drill that to the timber, fill the gaps, sand and paint. Bob's your uncle... no more hole. A bit more elbow grease but worth it.

I've still got 4 patches I need to sand and paint which were put in over 2 years ago when I had to rerun a 4k compliant HDMI cable in the ceiling

Edited by blybo

27 minutes ago, blybo said:

If you have to move them just drill a piece of timber across the hole (from the inside) cut a piece of plaster to size, drill that to the timber, fill the gaps, sand and paint. Bob's your uncle... no more hole. A bit more elbow grease but worth it.

I've still got 4 patches I need to sand and paint which were put in over 2 years ago when I had to rerun a 4k compliant HDMI cable in the ceiling

if really want to can also just keep the old plaster cut outs ... if indeed feel have to fill back again...

but honestly there is no need ... do it once for front heights and then add rears when want...

9 minutes ago, betty boop said:

if really want to can also just keep the old plaster cut outs ... if indeed feel have to fill back again...

but honestly there is no need ... do it once for front heights and then add rears when want...

Yeah, but the holes are already cut in what appears to be the wrong spot. Hopefully he still has the hole cut outs, I never throw them out and write where they go on the in ceiling side, but that was learnt through experience in my last home.

24 minutes ago, blybo said:

Yeah, but the holes are already cut in what appears to be the wrong spot. Hopefully he still has the hole cut outs, I never throw them out and write where they go on the in ceiling side, but that was learnt through experience in my last home.

yep kept my 5 hole fills :D you never know ... :D saves cutting 5 new ones... how messy is cutting plaster ! 

oh yes i mis read that from op ... didnt realise the holes are in already ... hopefully then not too far out ... if up ahead likely still be good to add two at rear :)

I wasnt that much of a noob, so I keep the cutouts, so that makes patching easier. Problem is the speakers are in place about 10-15 degrees forward above the listening position, so pretty much over head, and not forward as per Dolby recommendations for 5.1.4 or 7.1.4. 😕

My lounge room is also attached to the kitchen and dinning room, and only 18 months ago I fixed all the sagging plasterboard, screw pops, and painted the whole thing. I don't wanna mess about re painting the whole thing if a patch stand out like dogs balls. So a quick patch, stick in some magnets, and stick on some grills would be a cheap and easy fix. Hell an extra $300 for another pair of speakers and leave the existing ones in place is preferable to plaster dust in everything and having to cover up 3 rooms and re-paint. 

15 minutes ago, Angellus said:

My lounge room is also attached to the kitchen and dinning room, and only 18 months ago I fixed all the sagging plasterboard, screw pops, and painted the whole thing. I don't wanna mess about re painting the whole thing if a patch stand out like dogs balls. So a quick patch, stick in some magnets, and stick on some grills would be a cheap and easy fix. Hell an extra $300 for another pair of speakers and leave the existing ones in place is preferable to plaster dust in everything and having to cover up 3 rooms and re-paint. 

I have had to patch and repair plaster at our place. sand back well and using same paint to paint over you wouldn't even know ever patched or repainted. this will be case especially if only in last 18 months. some filler is probably 10-$20 for a small pot, no more nails another $20 and paint a small can probably another $20. 

if you dont want dust to go everywhere take an old bed sheet stick to ceiling around where need to work so goes down to floor. do what you want ... dust doesnt go everywhere... something have done myself ... no problems fixing up and patching where been leaks and such ...