stylin74

Newbie setup under $7.5k

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

We are lucky in Melbourne to be well served by many good Hifi retailers like Tivoli, Klapp, Selby, Clef, Audio Trends, Sight & Sound Galeria, Stereophonic, Audio Connection, Carlton Audio, Melbourne, HeyNow, to name a few. Problem is the COVID-19 lockdown which is likely to get worse... :cry: 😢 

Thanks, I drive past Selby everyday always thought they were cheap as brought stuff off them about 10 years ago might have to stick my head in again.

I will check out others when the apocalypse is over.

Thanks to everyone with the comments so far. It is certainly welcoming to someone new to this community.

Definitely going to start with speakers now and what else comes after that, biggest hurdle is won't be able to get out and about until late September if we are lucky so plenty of time to do more research online before I head out.

16 minutes ago, stylin74 said:

Thanks to everyone with the comments so far. It is certainly welcoming to someone new to this community.

Definitely going to start with speakers now and what else comes after that, biggest hurdle is won't be able to get out and about until late September if we are lucky so plenty of time to do more research online before I head out.

Good call mate, and yes whilst current situation is not ideal, could look at it as an opportunity for you to continue to do your homework and compile a list of speakers and components and dealers that carry them.  

Doing this will put you in the best position going into auditions when able, both in terms of knowing what you want to have a closer look at and listen to, but also to be able to negotiate a good deal.

If take your time, and don’t rush into any purchases then absolutely can build an excellent sounding system for your budget.

Have fun!

1 hour ago, stylin74 said:

Definitely going to start with speakers now and what else comes after that

After you've chosen your speakers, make sure to hit us up for advice here again, as speakers need an appropriate amplifier to match them to. You can't just pick a nice amp and nice speakers without knowing if the amp will properly drive the speakers, if you've only heard the amp and speakers separately.

Buy a Kef LS50W speakers (matching stand) with an appropriate phono stage and a Rega Turntable or a good used one such as a Linn. The Kef has a built in Dac and amplifier which you can use for playing Tidal, Spotify or your own Flac files  via your laptop. The Kef has an excellent sound and hard to beat for the price and you may be surprised. There was a recent promotion by the distributor which was selling for $2600 including the stands. 

On 30/07/2020 at 6:37 PM, was_a said:

But seeing as your collection is '80s and beyond perhaps this isn't as important.

If that isn't the most amusing sledge on my youth I've ever read :D 

Honestly just wait out the pandemic and then hit up the classifieds. You won't get a better deal than used, loved and sorted kit on SNA having the sole folly of an owner with upgradeitis. 

Going around demoing speakers is nice-ish but doesn't count for much unless you've heard things in situ or plan on some correction (would be reluctant to do this digitally and no idea how you feel about tweaking the room. Possibly limited if you're talking bookshelves). 

If you want an SL1200, get one and make it great. They're not the last word in vinyl but they're a long way from crap and you could waste a lot of time debating who makes what deck best whilst poo-pooing what might actually make you happy. I have a SL1200 MKII because (a) it came from a friend, (b) I grew up with them and (c) I like my 80's music sounding 80's ta very much. At no point has any opinion-borne noise on SNA swayed my ability enjoy music from it. The friend doesn't have it anymore as he did exceptionally well financially and ended up buying a succession of VPIs, the least of which cost more than two-thirds of your total budget. This, and asking the community if anyone's got a sorted SL1200 for sale they'd like to part with will probably get a few responses. 

You've a few more religious issues to sort out on your way to nirvana (valves? pre? get the sub if you need it, or avoid it if you can? etc) though it's safe to say you could get yourself an awesome system for less than your budget. 

Best of luck with it.

I just took a look at Vinyl Revival's website and their selection of turntable based system packages. Their most expensive one happens to be around your budget exactly:

https://www.vinylrevival.com.au/collections/packages/products/new-york-new-york-package

If that was up and running in the store, it'd be fun to hear it with a few favourite LPs (once iso ends at least...) but they have various systems from that price point down. From limited experience, they were nice people to deal with.

Personally, agreeing with other commenters, speaker choice is critical, ideally selected with your music in your listening room. I'm not sure how many dealers do that kind of home demo anymore but with your budget who knows? Then again, I believe you could spend well below your budget on a brilliant system and have lots of cash left over for new records.

Edited by RCAJack
url not working

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)