Hi All,

Looking at getting a setup to listen to my old viynl from the 80's onwards. I have around $7.5k to spend and tend to choose things on looks ūüė¨. Looking at getting an Amp, TT and Bookshelf speakers.

I have a rough idea what I want but really have no idea about the individual components if they go together, etc so looking for some feedback please.

I am currently using an old Yamaha 7.1 receiver with the floor speakers and sub to match with a old Pioneer PL-120 TT so anything is going to be better.

Amp I was thinking of the new Yamaha A-S1200. Mainly because I like the VU meters, secondly have had numerous Yamaha components over the years with the home theatre.

Speakers I am leaning towards Bowers & Wilkins 707 S2 bookshelves.

TT is where I am getting stuck not sure whether to go old school or new school, growing up always wanted a Technic's 1200 or even source an old Yamaha GT out of Japan. Or go new modern with a Rega P3 or a Thorens TD 240-2 or TD 402 DD.

Would love some comments and any suggestions.

Edited by stylin74
error in info
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Totally disagree.  I always recommend going speakers first, noting that the speaker - room interface will have by far the biggest influence on sound quality.  Once you have speakers sorted, then work

$7500 is indeed a lot of money, so I think the best advice that has been posted so far comes from @Snoopy8, and that is: Take Your Time. You say that you are leaning towards a Yamaha A-S1200 and

$7.5k is a big budget... so many options.    My work system, which gets extensive use, is Adam Tensor Deltas (active) fed by a Mytek Brooklyn DAC (which does duty as DAC, preamp and phono stage

Music genre has a bit to do with it - anything acoustic, and '60s/70s rock sounds better with more accurate, balanced amps and speakers than Yamaha and B&W. 

But seeing as your collection is '80s and beyond perhaps this isn't as important.

Regardless, I'd strongly recommend a Graham Slee phono stage.

• Like 1

Thanks was_a for your comments. Yes Music Genre is 80's onwards not so much rock a little Van Halen, Midnight Oil but a mix of modern including electronicia.

This stuff is so overwhelming so just don't where to start was going to that retro look.

Any other suggestions for speakers

Thanks for the tip on the Graham Slee phono stage.

• Like 1

That new Yamaha A-S1200 looks really cool. In my opinion one of the best looking amp out there.

When it comes to look of B&W speakers I like the new B&W 705 Signature

BTW Yamaha has TT as well. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the hobby. It's great! 

Exciting times ahead for you so, in turn, I'll pitch in with my 2c.

Unless this is your entry point into this and you're planning to spend a lot more money later then my advice would be this:

- Listen to as many different speakers as you can within your budget. Given the genre of music that you like, unless your room is very small, a bigger speaker would be better than a standmount. Alternatively you could go small mains + sub but from my experience it's better to spend the money on a bigger speaker. I listen to a lot of 80s - you need bass!

For me, different speakers will affect the type of sound you get much more than say a DAC/Amp/TT etc. They matter too of course but it doesn't make sense to get a speaker that you don't like and then try to change the sound using electronics. Spend a bit more time on this and you will be rewarded later - B&W has indeed made (and makes) some good speakers but a badge is hardly a guarantee that you will like them. Try to see beyond the name and press reviews. Trust your ears and nothing else. Each of us is different and likes different things.

- Once you have your chosen speakers I'd then start looking at all the other stuff. Given your budget I'd strongly consider used gear as you'll get much more bang for your buck. A good integrated amp would probably be the way to go (e.g. a used Luxman or the Accuphase 406 that's currently being advertised vs the Yamaha - used buy gets you a different league). The former of these comes with a phono stage as well so you won't need an external one.

- As for the TT, I'd say something from Rega or Pro-ject easy to set up and get going. Thorens are lovely, just harder to set up. The other way to go would be a Technics (like you mentioned) in good condition but they're becoming increasingly hard to find in good condition and the good ones tend to be expensive.

In summary: You are spending a good amount of cash on a 2 channel system. I get you're keen on VU meters and brands you trust but in my opinion if you think a bit outside the box there's the potential there for a much better system.

Good luck.

• Like 4

Checkout the tagged speaker audition short list on that forum page for ideas in the price range 

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 2

Source first, always. Get some advice from the turntable experts on SNA regarding cartridge choice and record players. Direct-drive might suit your music, although the latest belt-driven models are pretty dynamic.

Then look for second-hand bookshelf speakers and suitable amp to drive them i.e. the amp should have enough current and headroom to control the drivers. 

Suggestion for amp and speakers: NAD M3 with Epos Epic 2 

Phono stage: Graham Slee Era V 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, was_a said:

Source first, always. Get some advice from the turntable experts on SNA regarding cartridge choice and record players. Direct-drive might suit your music, although the latest belt-driven models are pretty dynamic.

Then look for second-hand bookshelf speakers and suitable amp to drive them i.e. the amp should have enough current and headroom to control the drivers. 

Suggestion for amp and speakers: NAD M3 with Epos Epic 2 

Phono stage: Graham Slee Era V 

Totally disagree.  I always recommend going speakers first, noting that the speaker - room interface will have by far the biggest influence on sound quality.  Once you have speakers sorted, then work out what amplifier topology, sound signature, and power is required and purchase something that syncs well with your chosen speakers for your ears.  With speakers and amp sorted then consider source and interconnects, but honestly in this day and age you can easily turn an existing laptop into an audiophile source with a decent USB DAC.

I never understand folks that suggest starting with source; this just doesn;t make sense to me at all!

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Stedes said:

Welcome to the hobby. It's great! 

Exciting times ahead for you so, in turn, I'll pitch in with my 2c.

Unless this is your entry point into this and you're planning to spend a lot more money later then my advice would be this:

- Listen to as many different speakers as you can within your budget. Given the genre of music that you like, unless your room is very small, a bigger speaker would be better than a standmount. Alternatively you could go small mains + sub but from my experience it's better to spend the money on a bigger speaker. I listen to a lot of 80s - you need bass!

For me, different speakers will affect the type of sound you get much more than say a DAC/Amp/TT etc. They matter too of course but it doesn't make sense to get a speaker that you don't like and then try to change the sound using electronics. Spend a bit more time on this and you will be rewarded later - B&W has indeed made (and makes) some good speakers but a badge is hardly a guarantee that you will like them. Try to see beyond the name and press reviews. Trust your ears and nothing else. Each of us is different and likes different things.

- Once you have your chosen speakers I'd then start looking at all the other stuff. Given your budget I'd strongly consider used gear as you'll get much more bang for your buck. A good integrated amp would probably be the way to go (e.g. a used Luxman or the Accuphase 406 that's currently being advertised vs the Yamaha - used buy gets you a different league). The former of these comes with a phono stage as well so you won't need an external one.

- As for the TT, I'd say something from Rega or Pro-ject easy to set up and get going. Thorens are lovely, just harder to set up. The other way to go would be a Technics (like you mentioned) in good condition but they're becoming increasingly hard to find in good condition and the good ones tend to be expensive.

In summary: You are spending a good amount of cash on a 2 channel system. I get you're keen on VU meters and brands you trust but in my opinion if you think a bit outside the box there's the potential there for a much better system.

Good luck.

Thanks for your advice, I was planning on starting with speakers first. The hard thing is we are in lock down in Melbourne so who knows how long before I can venture into the city to listen to some. I was also planning on having a sub. But will get out on about when I can to listen to different speakers it may lead to bigger in the end.

7 hours ago, Al.M said:

Checkout the tagged speaker audition short list on that forum page for ideas in the price range 

Thanks dude

13 hours ago, stylin74 said:

Thanks was_a for your comments. Yes Music Genre is 80's onwards not so much rock a little Van Halen, Midnight Oil but a mix of modern including electronicia.

This stuff is so overwhelming so just don't where to start was going to that retro look.

Any other suggestions for speakers

Thanks for the tip on the Graham Slee phono stage.

Having seen that Van Halen is on your listening list here I sincerely wish you all the very best in getting your new system 'spot on'.
I do however revoke this though, should it cross over into the VanHager era. 

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, stylin74 said:

Thanks for your advice, I was planning on starting with speakers first. The hard thing is we are in lock down in Melbourne so who knows how long before I can venture into the city to listen to some. I was also planning on having a sub. But will get out on about when I can to listen to different speakers it may lead to bigger in the end.

Yes, impossible to go out and audition speakers in Melbourne. And it may be much more than 3 weeks away...¬†ūüėʬ†

:welcome: to the forum.

One option during this COVID-19 times is to try various used components from the Classifieds (you will soon have access with more posts). For example, get an integrated amp to replace your AVR. 

What you need to do is to educate your ears on a wider range of brands and gear. That way, you can pick gear based on looks and what you hear.  And, if the sound does not match your taste, you can resell used gear with minimal or small loss.

Take your time, enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, POV said:

Totally disagree.  I always recommend going speakers first, noting that the speaker - room interface will have by far the biggest influence on sound quality.  Once you have speakers sorted, then work out what amplifier topology, sound signature, and power is required and purchase something that syncs well with your chosen speakers for your ears.  With speakers and amp sorted then consider source and interconnects, but honestly in this day and age you can easily turn an existing laptop into an audiophile source with a decent USB DAC.

I never understand folks that suggest starting with source; this just doesn;t make sense to me at all!

And I totally disagree with you.

Start with the source and make that the investment priority. The signal going into the amp and speakers is the first thing you need to get right. Sound quality of speaker and room, although also important, depends on it. Tweaking amp, speakers and acoustics downstream of an average source is a waste of time - often an expensive one! 

Certainly, espousing a laptop into a USB DAC is folly. This is of course irrelevant to the OP, but let me say that surely most people in this hobby know that good digital sound depends heavily on the transport - be it a disc spinner, network streamer, or audio PC.

I'm responding to your misguided advice, POV, because a relative beginner asking questions on SNA deserves better.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

It’s certainly not misguided to advise people to focus their attention on speakers and room as their priority. There is no question that this will have by far the biggest impact on ultimate sound quality.

I would however classify advising someone to focus their spending on a source, then hobble together an amp and speakers from second hand market whilst arguing that digital transports are important to be in the highly unusual category, and a fringe type view.

To the OP, I strongly recommend doing your homework on this.  I don’t always agree with Steve Guttenberg but he has been doing this stuff for a very long time and I think he nails this one:

Edited by POV
Embed YouTube clip
  • Like 3
  • Moderators

$7.5k is a big budget... so many options. 

My work system, which gets extensive use, is Adam Tensor Deltas (active) fed by a Mytek Brooklyn DAC (which does duty as DAC, preamp and phono stage). I run it from a Sonore Sonicorboter which functions as a Roon endpoint. For vinyl, I use a Technics SL-10. There are (much) better sounding turntables, but it looks cool and is idiot proof so I don’t mind anyone in the office using it. 

That’s just one example of a system you could assemble for comfortably under $7.5k. 

It sounds like you’ve got a good idea of what you want speaker wise. There are no rights or wrongs but, personally, I would also start by trying to find speakers that are voiced to your liking, likely spend about 1/2 to 2/3 of my budget on speakers and infill from there. There are many, many high quality choices in your price range. If you can, I would absolutely try and hear some active speakers that fit within your budget. 

• Like 4

$7500 is indeed a lot of money, so I think the best advice that has been posted so far comes from @Snoopy8, and that is: Take Your Time.

You say that you are leaning towards a Yamaha A-S1200 and some B&W 707 S2 speakers, so I think it would be worthwhile to have a look at a few of the hifi shops in Melbourne ( I think that's where you said you come from) that sell both these brands and have a listen. While there, ask what else they have at a similar price, and see if you can have a quick comparison, making sure that you like the looks of any of the things suggested by the staff. I think aesthetics play a role in any choice you make, and you've said it's important to you. As to which shops in Melbourne could help you out in this fashion, and indeed when you'll be able to venture out again, I'll leave that to the local members to say, coz I'm a bit far away to know.

• Like 6

It is also worth considering whether you are buying new or used. Going used can mean your money could go twice as far at least if you are doing it right. 

I'm listening to a rig with a total $RRP of around $10k and paid actually $6k. I'm happy with both the quality and the value.  Honestly, the only thing worth buying new are speakers, and vendors are so competitive that your desired item will surface at a price you are prepared to pay. 

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, The Rock Puppy said:

As to which shops in Melbourne could help you out in this fashion, and indeed when you'll be able to venture out again, I'll leave that to the local members to say, coz I'm a bit far away to know.

We are lucky in Melbourne to be well served by many good Hifi retailers like Tivoli, Klapp, Selby, Clef, Audio Trends, Sight & Sound Galeria, Stereophonic, Audio Connection, Carlton Audio, Melbourne, HeyNow, to name a few. Problem is the COVID-19 lockdown which is likely to get worse...¬†:cry:¬†ūüėʬ†

• Like 3
22 hours ago, POV said:

It’s certainly not misguided to advise people to focus their attention on speakers and room as their priority. There is no question that this will have by far the biggest impact on ultimate sound quality.

I would however classify advising someone to focus their spending on a source, then hobble together an amp and speakers from second hand market whilst arguing that digital transports are important to be in the highly unusual category, and a fringe type view.

To the OP, I strongly recommend doing your homework on this.  I don’t always agree with Steve Guttenberg but he has been doing this stuff for a very long time and I think he nails this one:

I agree with POV here, so count me as a "me too" with respect to prioritising speakers and room. Speakers are ultimately the character of your system. Source can't override them.

• Like 3
On 31/07/2020 at 7:41 AM, POV said:

I totally agree.  If you have ordinary speakers how will you be able to tell whether the source is any good or is what you want?  To me it is fundamental to start with the speakers first and then over time fill in the beginning and the middle.  I started with very good speakers which to me was a crazy and sheer indulgence cost wise approximately 10 years ago.   It took 10 years before the quality of the components, as I built the system, exceeded the quality of the speakers.  I am now into my sixth variation of amplification.   It was only recently when I reached the point where I needed to upgrade to new  speakers to be able to appreciate fully the quality of rest of the system. 

John

• Like 2

You like meters and retro looking? Find yourself a used Macintosh pre, and mate it to a pair of Kef powered speakers. The Kefs look ultra modern, if you can put up with that, you have amps and speakers sorted that will cost many $k extra to gain a meaningful upgrade. This should still leave you a couple of grand to get a nice used table. If you like the sound signature of the Kefs, you'll be happy for quite a while.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, alistairm said:

$7.5k is a big budget... so many options. 

My work system, which gets extensive use, is Adam Tensor Deltas (active) fed by a Mytek Brooklyn DAC (which does duty as DAC, preamp and phono stage). I run it from a Sonore Sonicorboter which functions as a Roon endpoint. For vinyl, I use a Technics SL-10. There are (much) better sounding turntables, but it looks cool and is idiot proof so I don’t mind anyone in the office using it. 

That’s just one example of a system you could assemble for comfortably under $7.5k. 

It sounds like you’ve got a good idea of what you want speaker wise. There are no rights or wrongs but, personally, I would also start by trying to find speakers that are voiced to your liking, likely spend about 1/2 to 2/3 of my budget on speakers and infill from there. There are many, many high quality choices in your price range. If you can, I would absolutely try and hear some active speakers that fit within your budget. 

Thanks, nice to have a setup at work. Yes the Technic SL-10 does look cool.

We are about to be locked down further in Melbourne so plenty of research over these couple of weeks.  thanks for your comments

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

We are lucky in Melbourne to be well served by many good Hifi retailers like Tivoli, Klapp, Selby, Clef, Audio Trends, Sight & Sound Galeria, Stereophonic, Audio Connection, Carlton Audio, Melbourne, HeyNow, to name a few. Problem is the COVID-19 lockdown which is likely to get worse...¬†:cry:¬†ūüėʬ†

Thanks, I drive past Selby everyday always thought they were cheap as brought stuff off them about 10 years ago might have to stick my head in again.

I will check out others when the apocalypse is over.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone with the comments so far. It is certainly welcoming to someone new to this community.

Definitely going to start with speakers now and what else comes after that, biggest hurdle is won't be able to get out and about until late September if we are lucky so plenty of time to do more research online before I head out.

16 minutes ago, stylin74 said:

Thanks to everyone with the comments so far. It is certainly welcoming to someone new to this community.

Definitely going to start with speakers now and what else comes after that, biggest hurdle is won't be able to get out and about until late September if we are lucky so plenty of time to do more research online before I head out.

Good call mate, and yes whilst current situation is not ideal, could look at it as an opportunity for you to continue to do your homework and compile a list of speakers and components and dealers that carry them.  

Doing this will put you in the best position going into auditions when able, both in terms of knowing what you want to have a closer look at and listen to, but also to be able to negotiate a good deal.

If take your time, and don’t rush into any purchases then absolutely can build an excellent sounding system for your budget.

Have fun!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stylin74 said:

Definitely going to start with speakers now and what else comes after that

After you've chosen your speakers, make sure to hit us up for advice here again, as speakers need an appropriate amplifier to match them to. You can't just pick a nice amp and nice speakers without knowing if the amp will properly drive the speakers, if you've only heard the amp and speakers separately.

• Like 2

Buy a Kef LS50W speakers (matching stand) with an appropriate phono stage and a Rega Turntable or a good used one such as a Linn. The Kef has a built in Dac and amplifier which you can use for playing Tidal, Spotify or your own Flac files  via your laptop. The Kef has an excellent sound and hard to beat for the price and you may be surprised. There was a recent promotion by the distributor which was selling for $2600 including the stands. 

• Like 1
On 30/07/2020 at 6:37 PM, was_a said:

But seeing as your collection is '80s and beyond perhaps this isn't as important.

If that isn't the most amusing sledge on my youth I've ever read :D 

Honestly just wait out the pandemic and then hit up the classifieds. You won't get a better deal than used, loved and sorted kit on SNA having the sole folly of an owner with upgradeitis. 

Going around demoing speakers is nice-ish but doesn't count for much unless you've heard things in situ or plan on some correction (would be reluctant to do this digitally and no idea how you feel about tweaking the room. Possibly limited if you're talking bookshelves). 

If you want an SL1200, get one and make it great. They're not the last word in vinyl but they're a long way from crap and you could waste a lot of time debating who makes what deck best whilst poo-pooing what might actually make you happy. I have a SL1200 MKII because (a) it came from a friend, (b) I grew up with them and (c) I like my 80's music sounding 80's ta very much. At no point has any opinion-borne noise on SNA swayed my ability enjoy music from it. The friend doesn't have it anymore as he did exceptionally well financially and ended up buying a succession of VPIs, the least of which cost more than two-thirds of your total budget. This, and asking the community if anyone's got a sorted SL1200 for sale they'd like to part with will probably get a few responses. 

You've a few more religious issues to sort out on your way to nirvana (valves? pre? get the sub if you need it, or avoid it if you can? etc) though it's safe to say you could get yourself an awesome system for less than your budget. 

Best of luck with it.

• Like 1

I just took a look at Vinyl Revival's website and their selection of turntable based system packages. Their most expensive one happens to be around your budget exactly:

https://www.vinylrevival.com.au/collections/packages/products/new-york-new-york-package

If that was up and running in the store, it'd be fun to hear it with a few favourite LPs (once iso ends at least...) but they have various systems from that price point down. From limited experience, they were nice people to deal with.

Personally, agreeing with other commenters, speaker choice is critical, ideally selected with your music in your listening room. I'm not sure how many dealers do that kind of home demo anymore but with your budget who knows? Then again, I believe you could spend well below your budget on a brilliant system and have lots of cash left over for new records.

Edited by RCAJack
url not working
  • 2 weeks later...

Another vote for speakers first - personally I've always found that the quality of the source material is important, but that's external to the system itself. An expensive source isn't going to fix it. After that, it's speakers, room, amp, which side of the bed you got up on, and then maybe the source. I'm being facetious, but you get the idea.

The advice given earlier that aesthetics matter is important and shouldn't be overlooked. No matter how much you try and fight it, some of what you hear is inevitably psychosomatic, and there's nothing wrong with being at peace with that. If Yamaha VU meters make you happy when you look at them, you're less likely to find fault with what you're hearing. That sounds like I'm saying you should spend 7.5k being lulled into accepting something sub par, but what I'm actually saying is that being happy with the looks may alleviate the kind of neuroses that lead some of us to box swap incessantly trying to solve problems that may or may not exist. Accepting that aesthetics are part of the problem you're trying to solve isn't a popular point of view, but I think it's vital.

On Selby (as they're in your area), while they don't put them on their website they carry a couple of Revel models that might fit your budget. Worth a look in the price range you've specified. They're not ugly, they measure well, and they sound great. 

I’m going to offer a completely opposing point of view. I lean towards the source being important, if you don’t capture the music to start with you can’t create it later on in the music chain. So, it’s important to get things as right as you can at the source end of things. The next big comment is, having been firmly invested in vinyl over the years (and I have an LP12 etc that is probably $15k in value) but now recently getting deeper into digital and streaming is, don’t bother with the vinyl front end. Digital and streaming can give you want you want and you don’t need to spend squillions to get it.

27 minutes ago, mjs said:

I’m going to offer a completely opposing point of view. I lean towards the source being important, if you don’t capture the music to start with you can’t create it later on in the music chain. So, it’s important to get things as right as you can at the source end of things. The next big comment is, having been firmly invested in vinyl over the years (and I have an LP12 etc that is probably $15k in value) but now recently getting deeper into digital and streaming is, don’t bother with the vinyl front end. Digital and streaming can give you want you want and you don’t need to spend squillions to get it.

No. Speakers first.

On 05/08/2020 at 1:58 PM, rmpfyf said:

They're not the last word in vinyl but they're a long way from crap....

The SL1200 MKII is a stellar deck and suffers from the ignorance of audiofools thinking its merely a DJ deck.  Far superior to anything ever made by Rega or Project, not that that's a great endorsement in itself.   

Edited by Peter_F
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

No. Speakers first.

So, crap front end with excellent speakers? Doesn’t do it for me. You just get crap presented well..

• Like 1

Here’s some advice.

My first pair of real speakers were Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy 6.0.

l literally spent more than my entire budget on them. $14500 at the time.

My power amp was a ME-550 hi-cap, pre was an ME-25 and my source was a PS3 playing MP3’s.

To me it sounded magnificent!

As time went on I upgraded bits and pieces as I could afford it. Each time I did so the speaker just kept on improving beyond my belief.

Each upgrade made me relive my music collection and experience my songs like I had never heard them before.

For me, spending my entire budget (and some) on my speakers was the way to do it. If I was to do it again I would certainly do it the same way.

lf I was you I would keep your receiver and TT and spend your budget on secondhand speakers.

As you upgrade your amp and TT in time your smile will be HUGE!!!!

At the end of the day, your new speakers will be the last thing you upgrade, that’s if you choose to.

Many will disagree with my method but it was a method I was more than happy with. Decent speakers through your receiver are still going to sound light years better than what you already have.

Good luck with your decision(s).

Edited by Yamaha_man
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Peter_F said:

The SL1200 MKII is a stellar deck and suffers from the ignorance of audiofools thinking its merely a DJ deck.  Far superior to anything ever made by Rega or Project, not that that's a great endorsement in itself.   

So many poor choice in audiophilia exist so many bargains out there because of unfounded audiophile poo-poo. 

If the OP wants a SL1200 mkII unless a Yamaha at the right price, so be it. 

Set up right they're both good decks.

1 hour ago, mjs said:

So, crap front end with excellent speakers? Doesn’t do it for me. You just get crap presented well..

Nobody said anything about using a crap front end, except you.  When discussing such things its important to use context and not go to extremes.  The most accepted practice or methodology of building a capable system starts with careful speaker selection for reasons outlined in previous posts.   

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Peter_F said:

Nobody said anything about using a crap front end, except you.  When discussing such things its important to use context and not go to extremes.  The most accepted practice or methodology of building a capable system starts with careful speaker selection for reasons outlined in previous posts.   

OK, perhaps I was trying to make a point. Everyone has a point of view, mine happens to be that source matters. To paraphrase what I said before, you can't put something back into the sound that you didn't extract in the first place. Putting aside my other comment about an all digital front end, it's important to recognise what the OP wants and that is to have a vinyl system for 80's vinyl, I think that the deck would be an important part of equipment choice. In reality if it is going to be a system for a while and not one that gets updated every six months, then there needs to be some balance between the components. Yes, the speakers are important, perhaps the amp less so, provided it can drive the speakers, but the source is also important.

Yes, the OP's liking for a Yamaha As 1200 amp is a good one, but that's going to eat into budget a fair bit. Perhaps a s/h amp would be better. There are lots of speaker options, and as others have said, perhaps now is the time to do some homework identifying those options. The Technics deck is ok as are others, just get the best cartridge you can, others have suggested Graham Slee for example, there are others, Ortofon, AT etc. You might be able to pick up a deck s/h, there is at least some time to look.

I'll give an example from last week about the importance of the front end, and by that I mean both software and source hardware. I had been consolidating quite a few digital files into a new library on my NAS for streaming into my main system, which I regard as reasonably high end. Some files were old including CDs ripped into iTunes years ago when I was listening to the iPad on plane flights to and from working in other states. This particular album just didn't sound right and I wasn't enjoying it. So I doubted the source and sure enough, when I checked the files, the tracks had actually been ripped to MP3 instead of WAV or AIFF. A quick trip back to the Mac Pro for re-ripping in dBpoweramp and problem solved, good music again.

Edited by mjs